View Poll Results: What ethical school of thought do you follow?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • ethical egoism

5 13.89%
  • egoistical hedonism

0 0%
  • act utilitarianism

2 5.56%
  • rule utilitarianism

3 8.33%
  • ethical relativism

4 11.11%
  • Kantianism

1 2.78%
  • ethical intuitionism

2 5.56%
  • theologism

6 16.67%
  • ethical nihilism

5 13.89%
  • others (please specify)

6 16.67%
  • don't know/don't care

2 5.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes an act right, to you?

Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish, English, Ulster Scots, Welsh
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Robert E. Lee, St. Nicholas
    Religion
    Christian Identity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 2,118

0 Not allowed!

For me, an act is right or wrong depending on whether Scripture commands or bans it.

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Nationalist / Ethnopluralist
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 726

0 Not allowed!

You forgot about virtue ethics, what would be closest to me, I guess; traditional virtue ethics, to be more precise.

I do feel though that there is a nauseating moralist tendency in 'ethics' and 'moral philosophy'. "Theologism", e.g., does not appeal to me for the reason that what comes to mind, and what is perfectly fit under that heading, is someone who views Scripture as a dry collection of ethical commands and someone who thinks that he knows God's will on every occasion. I don't feel at home there.
    Pigs can fly... in your face.

Last Online
    09-04-2011 @ 07:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European Synthesis
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Region
    Victoria
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    meh
    Religion
    cat worship <3 :3
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I have to admit I know very little about virtue ethics. Can you explain a bit more about it and why it is the one that corresponds the most to you?

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Nationalist / Ethnopluralist
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 726

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    I have to admit I know very little about virtue ethics. Can you explain a bit more about it and why it is the one that corresponds the most to you?
    Virtues were always spoken of in any traditional context such as the canonical sources of various traditions. Virtues were also spoken of by many of the Greek philosophers of the classical era. The New Testament of Christianity does also mention virtues, e.g. in Paul's epistles, where several are mentioned by name, in the first epistle of John where Love plays an important role, as well as in the Gospel, where virtues are often explained by way of parables and events in the life of Jesus. The Christian virtue of Love is thus revealed in Luke 7:36-50:

And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

A virtue is something that comes from within and from above, from the heart; it is something the exercise of which requires a change of heart.
    Pigs can fly... in your face.

Last Online
    06-08-2012 @ 07:06 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Co Mayo
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Connacht
    Politics
    Up the downstair
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Well this is all very technical, isn't it? Ultimately I just ask myself whether what I'm doing is just, fair or noble. Whether it's something, if I were to walk outside my current circumstances and look at from the outside in, I would admire or something I would frown upon. In the end, if casting aside the prospect of gaining my immediate desires means that my conscience won't weigh heavily upon me, I find myself being far more content and at ease than I otherwise would be.

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

I agree with Alasdair McIntyre and his central work, After Virtue, that the only real options are Aristotle (Thomas Aquinas) and Nietzsche. Anything else is ultimately just a subjective abstraction which amounts to nihilism by failing to give any real foundation to morality, and hence supports Nietzsches case.
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Numinous Theurgist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    French & German
    Ancestry
    Aquitània (Maternal), Vörpommern (Paternal)
    Country
    Quebec
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid/Nordomediterranid + Minor Dinaroid (Agrippa)
    Politics
    Neo-Feudalist; Neu-Ordenstaat / Aristocratist
    Religion
    Esoteric Traditionalism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

Cool thread. I chose ethical relativism, or:

"The act is generally judged to be right by one's culture or group."

If it is good for the people, and is in harmony with the people, then yes I deem it to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaland View Post
    For me, an act is right or wrong depending on whether Scripture commands or bans it.
    I also support this as well. And I think it is in harmony with my choice of Ethical Relativism.
    "Free, do you call yourself? Then I would hear your ruling thought, and not merely that you have escaped from a yoke. Are you one of those who had the right to escape from a yoke? Many a one has cast away his last worth when he has cast away his servitude. Free from what? What does that matter to Zarathustra! But your fiery eyes should tell me: free for what?" - Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Cool thread. I chose ethical relativism, or:

"The act is generally judged to be right by one's culture or group."

If it is good for the people, and is in harmony with the people, then yes I deem it to be right.
    So I guess human sacrifice is alright as long as parents would love to burn their children for better crops?

And if it just has to be "good for the people", then you run into the collectivist justifications for immoral actions of the Marxists and Communists, and can practically speaking just as well advocate Stalinism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    I also support this as well. And I think it is in harmony with my choice of Ethical Relativism.
    How so? Christianity claims to be universally valid and authoritative, regardless of cultural relativities.

Last Online
    09-04-2011 @ 07:28 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European Synthesis
    Ethnicity
    French
    Country
    France
    Region
    Victoria
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    meh
    Religion
    cat worship <3 :3
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lutiferre View Post
    I agree with Alasdair McIntyre and his central work, After Virtue, that the only real options are Aristotle (Thomas Aquinas) and Nietzsche. Anything else is ultimately just a subjective abstraction which amounts to nihilism by failing to give any real foundation to morality, and hence supports Nietzsches case.
    Can you clarify to the few profanes here (at least me) what ideas and views you refer to as the Artistotle and Nietzsche cases?

Edit : the link does give quite a lot of explanation, actually. But feel free to add stuff if you think it's important.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loxias View Post
    Can you clarify to the few profanes here (at least me) what ideas and views you refer to as the Artistotle and Nietzsche cases?

Edit : the link does give quite a lot of explanation, actually. But feel free to add stuff if you think it's important.
    "Aristotle" refers simply to Christian/Aristotelian ethics which are based on telos (end/goal/purpose and hence, value), which is also what Anthropos referred to as virtue ethics, whereas "Nietzsche" refers to the dissolution of all such "intrinsic" cross-subjective teloi and values in favour of.. well, in McIntyres words, moral solipsism and acting simply according to impulses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information