Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long ago did the Maltese actually arrive in Malta from Sicily?

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saludong View Post
    I think people from Malta are tough and resilient. The case with France is different. France has a big population which should have resisted attacks but Malta is sparsely populated and have to contend with forces far larger than itself. And quoting from Zhaoyon "Punches above it's weight class" (I.E. It's role in the battle of Lepanto. The small island being majorly responsible for destroying the Ottoman fleet)

Oh the heroism. Reminds me of our former deeds of crushing Admiral Zheng He's treasure fleet when they met us in battle. ^_^
    My Knights are tough so don't say they're all Frenchy.
    Wut? LOL
    A Fanatical Buddhist

Banned
    Last Online
    01-19-2024 @ 01:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    DN8, Carlito's Way, The Lawspeaker, Toppo900, Teutone and KuriousKatKommittee!
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,721
    Given: 6,335

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Empecinado View Post
    Sicily was Latinized when the Norman period.
    When exactly did Norman rule transpire over Sicily? I'm curious.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    The largest BBC in the TA but you can't suck it because I made a vow of celibacy. Chastity is sexy!
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Repentant of my former man-whoreness. But you like it if naughty?! Ooh let me spank you my sinner!
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticwolf View Post
    Wut? LOL
    You said Malta was French. The French are surrender monkies defeated by less populous Germany during WW2. Teh honorale Knights of Malta are not French.
    They would never surrender.

Peyrol

3 Not allowed!

All the sicilians had proto-sicilian as first language during all the arabic rule, in the same way the used sicilian as first language during norman, spanish, neapolitan and even under modern italian rule (many sicilians use sicilian as daily language even today):

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...ebi-domination

Last Online
    12-18-2022 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanophile
    Ethnicity
    Nordophile
    Ancestry
    Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Tirol
    Taxonomy
    Gracilized,Reduced Neotenic Eastern Mediterranid+Alpine-CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 257

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Empecinado View Post
    Sicily was Latinized when the Norman period.
    So they spoke Semitic? Because they sure look like Semites to me...

Last Online
    09-21-2014 @ 12:30 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ugric
    Ethnicity
    Hun
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    CommonSense
    Religion
    Direct Reality
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,197
    Given: 3,880

0 Not allowed!

You said Malta was French. The French are surrender monkies defeated by less populous Germany during WW2. Teh honorale Knights of Malta are not French.
    They would never surrender.
    You do not have a major in European Demographics, do you? LOL

I am too lazy too check, and I do not care enough, but French had only half the population of Germany roughly, maybe a bit more.

You are a newb, so FYI, I wasn't referring to the country, but my bud Malta.

What's with you aliens, so touchy!
    A Fanatical Buddhist

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Country
    United States
    Region
    District of Columbia
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranean
    Politics
    Classic liberal
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40,067
    Given: 10,740

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hale Comstock View Post
    So they spoke Semitic? Because they sure look like a Semites to me...
    Eastern Sicily spoke Greek until 1500. The rest of the island spoke Sicilian (a Romance language) or Arabic, but then once the Normans conquered, no more Arabic.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Visayan (Filipino)
    Country
    Philippines
    Y-DNA
    Politics
    Righteous
    Hero
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Relationship Status
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Peyrol View Post
    All the sicilians had proto-sicilian as first language during all the arabic rule, in the same way the used sicilian as first language during norman, spanish, neapolitan and even under modern italian rule (many sicilians use sicilian as daily language even today):

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...ebi-domination
    I'm imagining all those Sicilian Mafiosos speaking Sicilian argot among themselves exclusively.

Peyrol

1 Not allowed!

This is (was) protosicilian, obviously a romance language.

The text talk about the Riconquista and the expulsion of the berbers from the city of Scicli (Xicli in old sicilian)

Vinni in la Marina

Anno Domini nostri J. XP. MXCI, tempora quadragesime,

Vinni in la marina di li Mikenki, ora dicta Donnalucata, lu barb. Ammiro Belicani Saraxino, cum manio exercitu, per dixtruire omni phidili Kriptiani, et la nostra ixula, et lu barburu cani nun chi riuxio, chi lu populu di Xicli si moxi tuctu, e si armau, et accursi per costringherlo et farilo fughire, a quillo barbaru infidili: ma, videndo lo numiro di li infidili, grassi assai, se prostraro cum la fachia per terra, et pricando nos Xeniuri J. XP. et la Vi. de la Pietati, che essi camaru per darichi fortia et corajo, per dischiacare li barb. Saraxini, et illico et statim, videro in lu Chelu una nugola, che isprindea ut solis, cum dintra la Vi. MP. cum brandus in dextera, et chi rintronava a lo sou populo "en adsum, ecce me, civitas mea dilecta, protegam te dextera mea", si livaru di terra di un subito, et videro lo exercitu di li normandi, ut volociter acquile, per aiutarli et uniti tucti si moxiro ut fulminem supra quilli infidili et li destruxiro et fu tali la confuxioni et lo spavento, che si ucchisero ipsi stixi, ut more canis idrofobi; durau la punia quasi per uno jorno, et di poi li sacti xaxerdoti cantaru Tedeum laudamus, et lo Magnificat, accumpaniati di lo exercito, et la nocti tucti li normandi et tucto lo populo si rixtaro in lo dictu locu, per prigari et ringratiaru a Dio e Maria Vergine che li salvau di lu ecchidio di li infidili; la matina si arritrovao lu campu cum immenso numero di morti, at li barchi di li infidili tucti fugati, et poi si ringratiau lu gran Diu e la MP. Vi. et si chiamau, di li pii ss. saxerdoti, sata MP. Militum, pro siclensibus, et si stabeleo farichi la festa omni anno, in lo jorno sabato prechedente a la Dominica di passioni, jorno solenni di la punia, et cussi' fu liberata la nostra terra, per sempre amen S.T.L.

Scriptum in Tabula Ligni

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

2 Not allowed!

I think people from Malta are tough and resilient. The case with France is different. France has a big population which should have resisted attacks but Malta is sparsely populated and have to contend with forces far larger than itself. And quoting from Zhaoyon "Punches above it's weight class" (I.E. It's role in the battle of Lepanto. The small island being majorly responsible for destroying the Ottoman fleet)

Oh the heroism. Reminds me of our former deeds of crushing Admiral Zheng He's treasure fleet when they met us in battle. ^_^
    My Knights are tough so don't say they're all Frenchy.
    Saludong,

I have to commend you on your Filojacking skills. We could be talking about Legos or Strawberry cake and you'd find some way to relate it to some ancient Filipino kingdom.

Come on now about Zheng He, your ancestors didn't crush anything. He led a fleet so huge that no standing navy matched its size until the 20th century, a navy of 30,000 men and 500 ships which were each about 5x the size of Columbus's ships in length and many times the size in volume. In the Malacca strait, they were well known for regulating piracy, and they even captured a rebellious king of Sri Lanka alive before voyaging onwards to Africa. You honestly are telling me that your ancestors humiliated the great 6 feet 6 inch commanding Chinese Muslim admiral with a thundering voice and a mandate from the Emperor of Heaven, in control of a FLOATING CITY!!!!??? Come on! Whatever crushing victory you think you guys had probably only occurred in your imaginations!

BTW, this thread is about Malta buddy! RESPECT THAT!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information