Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Senhores de Engenho, XIX century pics (Northeast Brazil)

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,371
    Given: 2,411

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RMuller View Post
    Are alot of these decendants of the founders of Brazil? Aren't you decendant of the first Portuguese settlers in Brazil?

Do you consider the decendants of the first Portuguese settlers of Brazil more Brazilian than the Brazilian seperatist of Rio Grande Do Sul who are of recent immigrant stock ?
    These questions are for curupira,right?

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-16-2024 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mexican-American
    Ethnicity
    Mexican Mestizo
    Ancestry
    Mexico
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Politics
    Center-Right
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,874
    Given: 12,909

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LESM View Post
    These questions are for curupira,right?

Yes.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-06-2016 @ 10:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,467
    Given: 3,569

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RMuller View Post
    Are alot of these decendants of the founders of Brazil? Aren't you decendant of the first Portuguese settlers in Brazil?

Do you consider the decendants of the first Portuguese settlers of Brazil more Brazilian than the Brazilian seperatist of Rio Grande Do Sul who are of recent immigrant stock ?
    They are and I am. My earliest ancestors settled down in Sćo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and from there explored mineral wealth in Minas Gerais. Joćo Ramalho is the first Portuguese settler of Brazil, and I am a direct descendant of him. He may have arrived before 1500! Thus my own personal story and that of millions of Southeast Brazilians (Minas Gerais, Sćo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro) is similar to theirs (to those from Northeast Brazil).

Southern Brazil was explored later, also by people from Sćo Paulo, bandeirantes, who founded Laguna and Sćo Francisco do Sul in Santa Catarina and from there annexed Rio Grande do Sul. Thus, many people from the South also have a similar history (just to mention two examples, Getślio Vargas, one of our most important presidents, was a descendant of Amador Bueno, a colonial figure from Sćo Paulo, just like I am; and Antonio de Sousa Neto, an important figure from Rio Grande do Sul, was also a descendant of Joćo Ramalho, like I am: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B4nio_de_Sousa_Neto).

Later on, Azorean couples were settled down in Rio Grande do Sul and in Santa Catarina to guarantee the territory. Those who belong to near or fully German or Italian communities in the South are usually the ones (though not all) who feel the least identified to the rest of Brazil. I don't like it, since they did not conquer it, they were just invited and accepted the invitation. But that's my personal opinion. In the end, Brazil belonged to the Native Americans and was robbed from them. That injustice has gone beyond the point of return. I will pass away in a few decades... so what happens here ultimately is not that relevant. And I prefer to focus on my own personal welfare.

This thread is about an extremely important segment within Brazilian society, the colonial segment from Northeast Brazil, which made up the upper class of the country up until recently. Many of them still do. Some of the people I posted on this thread are familiar to anyone who has a basic knowledge on Brazil.
    Last edited by curupira; 01-22-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Last Online
    03-03-2019 @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Sao Paulo
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,371
    Given: 2,411

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by curupira View Post
    They are and I am. My earliest ancestors settled down in Sćo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, and from there explored mineral wealth in Minas Gerais. Joćo Ramalho is the first Portuguese settler of Brazil, and I am a direct descendant of him. He may have arrived before 1500! Thus my own personal story and that of millions of Southeast Brazilians (Minas Gerais, Sćo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro) is similar to theirs (to those from Northeast Brazil).

Southern Brazil was explored later, also by people from Sćo Paulo, bandeirantes, who founded Laguna and Sćo Francisco do Sul in Santa Catarina and from there annexed Rio Grande do Sul. Thus, many people from the South also have a similar history (just to mention two examples, Getślio Vargas, one of our most important presidents, was a descendant of Amador Bueno, a colonial figure from Sćo Paulo, just like I am; and Antonio de Sousa Neto, an important figure from Rio Grande do Sul, was also a descendant of Joćo Ramalho, like I am: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant%C3%B4nio_de_Sousa_Neto).

Later on, Azorean couples were settled down in Rio Grande do Sul and in Santa Catarina to guarantee the territory. Those who belong to near or fully German or Italian communities in the South are usually the ones (though not all) who feel the least identified to the rest of Brazil. I don't like it, since they did not conquer it, they were just invited and accepted the invitation. But that's my personal opinion. In the end, Brazil belonged to the Native Americans and was robbed from them. That injustice has gone beyond the point of return. I will pass away in a few decades... so what happens here ultimately is not that relevant. And prefer to focus on my own personal welfare.

This thread is about an extremely important segment within Brazilian society, the colonial segment from Northeast Brazil, is made up the upper class of the country up until recently. Many of them still do. Some of the people I posted of this thread are familiar to anyone who has a basic knowledge on Brazil.
    You descend from Joćo Ramalho?That's awsome,how did you gather so much information about your colonial ancestry?I am very interested in mine but I don't know much about it...My great-grandmother is quarter colonial from Piracicaba,do you think that I may descend from Joćo Ramalho too?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-06-2016 @ 10:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Country
    Brazil
    Region
    Minas Gerais
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,467
    Given: 3,569

1 Not allowed!

I had opened a thread explaining it, what goes to Baltazar Antas de Moras goes to Joćo Ramalho (I guess you're likely a descendant of him or at least of some of the early settlers too, the population was very small...)

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...hlight=Moreira

Quote Originally Posted by LESM View Post
    You descend from Joćo Ramalho?That's awsome,how did you gather so much information about your colonial ancestry?I am very interested in mine but I don't know much about it...My great-grandmother is quarter colonial from Piracicaba,do you think that I may descend from Joćo Ramalho too?

Banned
    Last Online
    10-01-2022 @ 12:19 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance - Native Brazilian - Celtic - North African - Mediterranean - African
    Ethnicity
    Coruscantian
    Country
    Brazil
    Hero
    Dom Pedro II
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,702
    Given: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by curupira View Post
    I had opened a thread explaining it, what goes to Baltazar Antas de Moras goes to Joćo Ramalho (I guess you're likely a descendant of him or at least of some of the early settlers too, the population was very small...)

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...hlight=Moreira
    Great thread, interesting founder people and important informations.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-04-2023 @ 02:54 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ethnicity
    Spanish paleto culture
    Ancestry
    Castellanos
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castile and Leon
    Y-DNA
    Castellanos
    mtDNA
    Castellanos
    Taxonomy
    Spanish paleto culture
    Politics
    Preserving Spanish paleto culture
    Religion
    The only one true Christianism is the Spanish Inquisition
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,690
    Given: 23,946

0 Not allowed!

Engenho means ingenio in Spanish? I guess yes, since ingenios are how were called the installations to produce sugar etc in the colonies...

Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 01:19 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Human
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 156

0 Not allowed!