Relationship Status
    Single
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 1,641

0 Not allowed!

Default Religion and children?

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I was raised Roman-Catholic, and was forced to go to mass throughout my childhood. I only began really taking my faith seriously this summer, after years of questioning time. I wouldn't have called myself Atheist, maybe Agnostic. I think a lot of my reluctance to take the teachings of the Catholic church seriously was due to the fact that my mother particularly forced me to go to mass, to get confirmation, etc. It may have just been regular youthful rebellion but I felt as if was forced on me. I obviously had no choice to be baptized since I was just a baby at the time. But this brings up what I thought would be an interesting topic for discussion.

Assuming my spouse would be Catholic, I would have my children baptized into the Catholic church. But I would let them choose whether they want to go to a Catholic school, or not, maybe the time they're thirteen. That was about the age I really began to rebel against my mother particularly. My father is Catholic too, but the kind that only goes to mass on Easter and Christmas. I'd went to a Catholic school all throughout middle school. I didn't have much of a choice in that though. I have no problem with religion obviously, but looking at my own experiences as a teenager and as a young adult and how my childhood of experience of having no choice but to go to mass and to receive my baptism [obviously], first holy communion, and confirmation and how that drove me away from the faith for so long makes me consider giving my children a choice to go to church or not, or to receive the sacraments or not at some point. I mentioned earlier that thirteen seems like a good age, but what does anyone else think?

I know my post centers around Christianity a lot, as I am Christian and was raised in a fairly Christian environment. But this can apply to any religion, I think. I don't see myself having children in the next six to eight years though, but as I said, I believe this to be an interesting discussion topic.

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

It seems forcing anything on anyone without them understanding it, can easily led to a reaction of resentment.

Making them understand it should be of primary significance, at least to avoid that kind of reaction..
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

I don’t have children myself (I may have to think of having some, with my pension plans I can’t afford a nurse to wipe my arse and dribble up…) so my opinion is purely theoretical and probably a load of bollocks.

I think it’s important to raise a child with two principles, one a decent set of ethical standards (at least decent enough to function in society as a plus rather than a minus) and the ability to think critically. I’m not sure you can teach the later, some people are just born credulous….

Would I teach them Odinism…….well I know what Odinism means to me and what I have got from it but my child wouldn’t be me, the Mrs would have to have broadly the same values as me (opposites attract is a reasonable principle for sex, sometimes, but pants as a basis for a stable relationship) I would probably be tempted to leave it at ethics and nurturing thought, bring Odinism in if/when he/she/it developed an interest in my shrine or books. Bed time stories would probably be Beowulf, Sigurd Volsung etc, none of that Goldilocks cobblers the boy must grow to be a warrior!

Of course that's my ill thought out idea.......but we all know women do what they want anyway so anything I say would be discarded out of hand.....
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

If I have children I will teach them in my views, but telling that there are other religions and believes in the world, so they can choose which path to follow when mature enough.
    Anyway, Bulgarian believes will be preferable
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Ćsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

I believe that exposing children to religion is seriously detrimental to their mental well-being. I personally consider it to be a form of child abuse. Allowing children to explore religion freely without a parent enforcing one particular religion upon the child is more healthy. That way, they are free to choose and make up their own mind. If you raise a child, for example Catholic, and instill in them Catholic values for 13 years, their mind will be too warped to be able to give other religions a fair chance.

Has anyone religious noted that people born to Christian parents are Christian, people born to Muslim parents are Muslim, people born to Hindu parents are Hindu, et. al. Yes quite obvious, I know; and not surprising. But really think about this.

Last Online
    02-28-2013 @ 11:03 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Spaniard, Italian, Austrian
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Dinaric-Med
    Politics
    Right
    Religion
    Orthodox Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post
    I think it’s important to raise a child with two principles, one a decent set of ethical standards (at least decent enough to function in society as a plus rather than a minus) and the ability to think critically. I’m not sure you can teach the later, some people are just born credulous….
    I completely agree on this...

It's interesting how you realize that Forcing children to do something will give you the complete opposite result ! he he

Soild ethical and moral values are essential... They'll realize what to believe later on...

Last Online
    04-14-2011 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Krauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

I will do for my children what was done for me: raise them with common rational morality and leave the superfluous mystical bits for them to embrace or reject once their minds are capable of understanding it.

They will also receive a particularly thorough education in comparative religion.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    European ethnicities
    Country
    Russia
    Region
    Russian Turkestan General Governorship
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized Alpine-Med
    Politics
    Anti-Liberalism/Anti-Woke BS
    Hero
    Joachim Peiper, Corneliu Zelea Codreanu, Gabriele D'Annunzio, Julius Evola
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheism, Gnosticism
    Relationship Status
    Single
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 1,641

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf Kraki View Post
    I believe that exposing children to religion is seriously detrimental to their mental well-being. I personally consider it to be a form of child abuse. Allowing children to explore religion freely without a parent enforcing one particular religion upon the child is more healthy. That way, they are free to choose and make up their own mind. If you raise a child, for example Catholic, and instill in them Catholic values for 13 years, their mind will be too warped to be able to give other religions a fair chance.

Has anyone religious noted that people born to Christian parents are Christian, people born to Muslim parents are Muslim, people born to Hindu parents are Hindu, et. al. Yes quite obvious, I know; and not surprising. But really think about this.
    I just find it disturbing to expose children to religion, especially when they're not interested in it. I would probably introduce my future children to Catholicism but I will not force them to participate in the sacraments, in the celebration of mass etcetera. This may just be due to my personal experiences and the resentment that I had toward the Catholic church and religion in general for so long. Now that I am an adult I've made my own decision to be Catholic.

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

I would read my kids some Classical and Germanic Mythology. Other than that, I would take them to museums and explain some things to them, but I would let them come to their own conclusions on their own time. Forcing religion on kids is a form of child abuse like Hrolf Kraki said.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

Last Online
    10-07-2012 @ 04:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    French
    Ancestry
    From the Channel to the Alps
    Country
    France
    Taxonomy
    Cro-Ho
    Politics
    DDHC 1789
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    I would read my kids some Classical and Germanic Mythology.
    Don't forget to also read them the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information