Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by txemacwar
    It's interesting how you realize that Forcing children to do something will give you the complete opposite result !
    Well I wasn’t attempting to be Machiavellian about it, I find thinkers preferable to parrots, I would want my child to think even if that thought went entirely against what I valued. The unfortunate reality is, though, that most people are parrots. For me my child being a credulous fool would be worse than one who despised what I value.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Last Online
    03-22-2012 @ 03:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German / English
    Ancestry
    Mother's family is all German. Father's family is English since 1066; before that Norman
    Region
    Kansas
    Politics
    Nietzsche
    Religion
    Ćsir
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    I would read my kids some Classical and Germanic Mythology. Other than that, I would take them to museums and explain some things to them, but I would let them come to their own conclusions on their own time. Forcing religion on kids is a form of child abuse like Hrolf Kraki said.
    Exactly! I remember reading Bible stories as a kid and I loved them. Later in school I learned about Greek and Roman mythology and also became fascinated with those stories. It didn't take long for me to realize that since they were all so similar in their sensationalism and their purpose, they must either all be real or all be fake. A kid wants to believe they're real, but as one grows older reason and logic takes hold and one is forced to come to the conclusion that they're all fake. But that doesn't mean they're not still great tales to share with others!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information