Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,715
    Given: 5,851

0 Not allowed!

Talking Tesco Loyal

Flute banned

By IRINA NELSON
    Published: 17 Nov 2009

BLUNDERING store chiefs yesterday gave a Loyalist flute band their marching orders - but only after booking them to play at a Tesco opening.

Top brass had amazingly hired the 20-strong group - who sport Red Hand of Ulster badges - to perform three jigs and a hymn at the official bash.

Red-faced managers finally realised the gaffe as the flute players warmed up in the car park - and quietly asked them to leave.
    But already some outraged customers had stormed off - vowing never to return to the store in Bellshill, Lanarkshire.
    Last night one angry 48-year-old dad said: "I wouldn't shop there if it were the last store on the planet.
    "Imagine using an Orange flute band to open a store in Bellshill.
    "There could have been a riot."

Rumours the band were set to play at the opening had swept the town days earlier - but most folk thought it was a joke.
    That was until the musicians turned up for their Ł500 gig, along with some locals in Rangers tops and T-shirts printed with "Tesco Loyal".
    One onlooker said: "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the band getting ready to start playing."
    They added: "Whoever thought booking the band to open a supermarket was a good idea is probably very worried for their job by now.
    "At least Tesco's colours of red, white and blue would have gone down well with some spectators."
    The Bellshill Imperial Flute Band's website says they play traditional Loyalist tunes, "blood and thunder" marches and Scottish and Irish jigs.

They perform at most of the local street parades and Orange Order engagements and have around 50 members.
    Last night a band source revealed they'd been approached by the supermarket chain last week.
    After the gig was KO'd, the insider admitted: "Someone at the Tesco said there were complaints. They should have checked that out before they wasted everyone's time."

A Tesco rep at the store claimed the band had been cancelled due to fears over health and safety.
    She said: "Fears were growing that the car park was getting overcrowded."
    But a Tesco spokesman admitted: "It is never our intention to offend anyone and it was for this reason that we took the decision to cancel the band."
    Local MSP for Hamilton North and Bellshill Michael McMahon branded the blunder "laughable".
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...-ceremony.html

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,126

0 Not allowed!

I have always felt that the red, white and blue TESCO branding was an attempt to usurp the British flag, or at least use those colours for psycho-symbolic effect, but 'Tesco Loyal' is just scary, to be honest.

Last Online
    02-01-2015 @ 12:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Lowland Scots, Anglo-Saxon & Gaelic Irish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Scotland
    Politics
    Paleoconservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortis in Arduis View Post
    I have always felt that the red, white and blue TESCO branding was an attempt to usurp the British flag, or at least use those colours for psycho-symbolic effect, but 'Tesco Loyal' is just scary, to be honest.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, what you're witnesing there is a particular kind of West of Scotland humour which doesn't travel particularly well.

To try and explain, basically anyone of a "Loyalist" background in this part of the world will, when some kind of mainstream figure or organisation makes some kind of pro-Loyalist gesture (wittingly or unwittingly), respond with the phrase "X Loyal" ('X' being th figure or organisation), although to an outsider it may seem like a statement of loyalty to that figure or organisation.
    IN MY DEFENS GOD ME DEFEND

Be Britain still to Britain true, Amang ourselves united
    For never but by British hands, Maun British wrangs be righted!

Thread Information