"Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-15-2015 @ 09:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2c (descendent of noble Taronites family by STRs)
    mtDNA
    H76 (unknown...)
    Taxonomy
    A Dinarid is watching you
    Religion
    Spartan Greek Goddess Linet
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,008
    Given: 4,802

4 Not allowed!

It's funny, my father used to brag to me how my great-grandfather won many duals with a sword. He had many stories, but one which stuck in my mind is how sharp he kept his sword. In the villages, most people did not have ovens/stoves but rather had metal pot that hung from ceiling with 3 metal chains, over ground where they lit fire. According to my father, his sword was so sharp he could cut through all 3 metal chains in one swipe. It's funny because he looks a lot like the MonteNigga just blonder:

This is him on the left, with his brother in WW1. He was in both Balkan wars, and WW1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    11-17-2022 @ 01:32 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Vasojević clan
    Country
    Montenegro
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Norid
    Politics
    Pan-Slavicism
    Hero
    dralos
    Religion
    Holly Cow
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 757
    Given: 335

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_Dusan View Post
    It's funny, my father used to brag to me how my great-grandfather won many duals with a sword. He had many stories, but one which stuck in my mind is how sharp he kept his sword. In the villages, most people did not have ovens/stoves but rather had metal pot that hung from ceiling with 3 metal chains, over ground where they lit fire. According to my father, his sword was so sharp he could cut through all 3 metal chains in one swipe. It's funny because he looks a lot like the MonteNigga just blonder:
    yeah they look similar,Serb Dinarid Facade lol
    my direct ancestor by whose nickname we got our surname was also into sword duels. According the family legend he killed his own uncle (ancestor of Vojvoda Petar Bojović) in a sword duel because Bojo wanted to take his land. Some time after that he heard that Ottoman pasha in Gusinje is terrorizing Serbs, he went there challenged him and killed the bastard He earned a nickname because of that, I will not say which one because of the privacy, it is my surname after all

In any case, those people had giant balls...
    "Ne zanesi se za velike pobjede, koje s' prosutom krvlju zemlje i gradove obaraju, no se zanesi i za male pobjede, tek koje božanski dišu i mirišu!"
    Vojvoda Marko Miljanov Popović

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

This is him on the left, with his brother in WW1. He was in both Balkan wars, and WW1.
    I bet the ottoman turks were scared shitless when they first met you grand-father in action. Is it me or do all great swordsmen have epic mustaches? *sigh* the time when facial hair was cool

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Glory Boy and Ukrainian
    Ethnicity
    93.75% White European, 6.25% Serbian
    Ancestry
    Shoshi (Dukagjin)
    Country
    Albania
    Politics
    Independence for the Caucasus
    Hero
    Chief Keef
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,342

0 Not allowed!

I'm the most Montenegroid Monntenigger here.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    H76 (unknown...)
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Vukodav View Post
    yeah they look similar,Serb Dinarid Facade lol
    my direct ancestor by whose nickname we got our surname was also into sword duels. According the family legend he killed his own uncle (ancestor of Vojvoda Petar Bojović) in a sword duel because Bojo wanted to take his land. Some time after that he heard that Ottoman pasha in Gusinje is terrorizing Serbs, he went there challenged him and killed the bastard He earned a nickname because of that, I will not say which one because of the privacy, it is my surname after all

In any case, those people had giant balls...
    In my family tradition when a man kills another man, he takes the name "Vukosav" (all wolf) which is very similar to your name on the apricity :-)

One story my father told him about, unrelated to his duals but more to his mindset was he was born to rich landowning family. Namely his grandfather had lots of money. His father was always trying to get him to work but refused and his grandfather encouraged him. When he went to the military in the first Balkan war, his grandfather told him to not to let anyone disrespect him, and if so he could kill them and he would be bought out. So one night he sneaks out to meet lady mistress and when he returns the superior punishes him to clean all the lavatories. Next time during target practice, he makes "accident" and shoots the superior dead. He goes to military jail but never finishes trial. Instead he gets put back to front line, which is why you see him without awards as his brother has.

Another story is during WW1, people kept telling him "Are you crazy, duck" during artillery fire. And he made remark that lives as family saying "Fear is prison, I'm a free man." He didn't survive WW1, nor did his brother. But he had children. His second eldest son (my grandfather) would go on to fight in WW2. And my father would fight in our recent war.

I'm only man on my father's side not to fight to war. And beyond that, no male on my father side makes it to 50 age. They all die before, almost all violent death.

Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Glory Boy and Ukrainian
    Ethnicity
    93.75% White European, 6.25% Serbian
    Ancestry
    Shoshi (Dukagjin)
    Country
    Albania
    Politics
    Independence for the Caucasus
    Hero
    Chief Keef
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 684
    Given: 1,342

0 Not allowed!

In my family tradition when a man kills another man, he takes the name "Vukosav" (all wolf) which is very similar to your name on the apricity :-)

One story my father told him about, unrelated to his duals but more to his mindset was he was born to rich landowning family. Namely his grandfather had lots of money. His father was always trying to get him to work but refused and his grandfather encouraged him. When he went to the military in the first Balkan war, his grandfather told him to not to let anyone disrespect him, and if so he could kill them and he would be bought out. So one night he sneaks out to meet lady mistress and when he returns the superior punishes him to clean all the lavatories. Next time during target practice, he makes "accident" and shoots the superior dead. He goes to military jail but never finishes trial. Instead he gets put back to front line, which is why you see him without awards as his brother has.

Another story is during WW1, people kept telling him "Are you crazy, duck" during artillery fire. And he made remark that lives as family saying "Fear is prison, I'm a free man." He didn't survive WW1, nor did his brother. But he had children. His second eldest son (my grandfather) would go on to fight in WW2. And my father would fight in our recent war.

I'm only man on my father's side not to fight to war. And beyond that, no male on my father side makes it to 50 age. They all die before, almost all violent death.
    I actually happen to be the first generation on my fathers side to not kill someone too.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    H76 (unknown...)
    Taxonomy
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamal900 View Post
    I bet the ottoman turks were scared shitless when they first met you grand-father in action. Is it me or do all great swordsmen have epic mustaches? *sigh* the time when facial hair was cool
    Another such story, more from Ottoman times was member of our family converted to Islam and took Muslim wife. She came with dowry, in form of expensive porcelain from China which was worth much money. During the wedding, either him or his father (I mix these stories up now) broke into the wedding, rode their horse on the table breaking all the porcelain and ruining the wedding. They did this in complete defiance of Ottoman authorities as if they did not control (then Kosovo). It was said that the man who converted to Islam later took different name and disappeared, but the family blood feuded for while due to such a insult.

But mustache was in style at time, sign of manhood. Notice the brother didn't have much of mustache because he was younger. 17 or 18 in the picture.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-06-2021 @ 03:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic
    Ethnicity
    Levantine
    Country
    Palestine
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    U3
    Taxonomy
    Taurid
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29,829
    Given: 24,541

1 Not allowed!

Another such story, more from Ottoman times was member of our family converted to Islam and took Muslim wife. She came with dowry, in form of expensive porcelain from China which was worth much money. During the wedding, either him or his father (I mix these stories up now) broke into the wedding, rode their horse on the table breaking all the porcelain and ruining the wedding. They did this in complete defiance of Ottoman authorities as if they did not control (then Kosovo). It was said that the man who converted to Islam later took different name and disappeared, but the family blood feuded for while due to such a insult.

But mustache was in style at time, sign of manhood. Notice the brother didn't have much of mustache because he was younger. 17 or 18 in the picture.
    I guess that your family take very seriously in cultural integrity of your people?

Yeah, mustaches were pretty cool back then. Too bad that most women today prefer hairless men.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Vasojević clan
    Country
    Montenegro
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Norid
    Politics
    Pan-Slavicism
    Hero
    dralos
    Religion
    Holly Cow
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

your great-grandfather was man of self respect, that is highly valued in our region. i think that is the reason there are no "bullying victims" or similar bs in our schools. Kids are raised to be tough.
    btw, I think we talked once regarding the fact that we are all first generation which did not fight in any war yet... I really doubt that will be truth in next decades. Balkan is built on wars, they are single constant thing in this part of the world.
    "Ne zanesi se za velike pobjede, koje s' prosutom krvlju zemlje i gradove obaraju, no se zanesi i za male pobjede, tek koje božanski dišu i mirišu!"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Vasojević clan
    Country
    Montenegro
    Taxonomy
    Pred. Norid
    Politics
    Pan-Slavicism
    Hero
    dralos
    Religion
    Holly Cow
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

yet again, I have similar story in my family . I young man from my brotherhood was working for some Ottoman aga in Pazar to earn a sack of corn so that his family can survive the winter. but he fell in love with aga's daughter. He was strong, handsome and blonde so the aga agreed that he can take his daughter as wife only if he converts to Islam. he agreed and after that aga sent invitation to a wedding and bunch of food, gold and jewelry to the boy's family.
    His father sent all that back, rode to Pazar and killed a boy. there is a guslar song, I will send you the lyrics when I find the paper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information