Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SPLIT from Are Spaniards and Portuguese people white?] Christianity and Paganism

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default [SPLIT from Are Spaniards and Portuguese people white?] Christianity and Paganism

Quote Originally Posted by Anthropos View Post
    That's more like what modern 'heathens' do.
    Uhmm no we don't, Anthropos. Why such an off-topic shot in this thread btw?

Last Online
    08-15-2018 @ 08:11 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Nationalist / Ethnopluralist
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 626
    Given: 726

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Uhmm no we don't, Anthropos. Why such an off-topic shot in this thread btw?
    It was Tonsor who accused the real heathens, before the North was Christian, of 'howling at the moon and painting their faces', so my comment was quite on topic. The argument from Tonsor, and from many others as well, consisted in pointing out the ignorance of people who exclude Southerners from their definitions of Europe. In that he was quite right. It was just this comment about heathens of his that was unfounded.

Why such oversensitivity? Is there a witchhunt on people who insist on keeping with a sober understanding? Are we not preservationist enough, since we don't accept modern falsifications of our true history?
    Pigs can fly... in your face.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Why such oversensitivity? Is there a witchhunt on people who insist on keeping with a sober understanding? Are we not preservationist enough, since we don't accept modern falsifications of our true history?
    Geez Anthropos, you know me better than that. There is no witch hunt. And I am not questioning your or anybody else's "preservationism". Please don't make an issue out of something that needn't be turned into one.

You explained the context of that comment and now I know. I thank you for having responded.

Now let's carry on, amicably please.

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

It was Tonsor who accused the real heathens, before the North was Christian, of 'howling at the moon and painting their faces', so my comment was quite on topic.
    A common misconception which arises from the idea of "progress" most people these days almost take for granted.

But that's quite innocent.

What I especially scoff at is the view of European paganism by minions of the European Nouvelle Droite, an extremely naive, one-dimensional, superficial and ahistorical one. So is their view of Christianity and "monotheism": utterly simplified. Their preference for paganism over "monotheism" is based on this distorted vision and is more indebted to traditional culturally Christian notions that they are willing to admit. It turns out in the end analysis that they know nothing about either paganism or Christianity.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltimbanque View Post
    What I especially scoff at is the view of European paganism by minions of the European Nouvelle Droite, an extremely naive, one-dimensional, superficial and ahistorical one.
    Well for starters perhaps you can explain why it is so in your opinion Saltimbanque. I for one would be interested to know your thoughts on this.

So is their view of Christianity and "monotheism": utterly simplified. Their preference for paganism over "monotheism" is based on this distorted view and is more indebted to traditional culturally Christian notions that they are willing to admit.
    Ok, and what is "monotheism" to you, if you please?

It turns out in the end analysis that they know nothing about either paganism or Christianity.
    And there I think you make a grossly unfair and sweeping assumption that only a devotee of Christianity could possibly know anything about either. Do you not realise that some of us have come from academic backgrounds as well that have given us just as much sound knowledge about Christianity, monotheism, polytheism, and indigenous religions (what you so glibly refer to as "paganism")? Or do you think that we're all just a bunch of uneducated people who haven't approached their own spiritual journeys with any measure of consideration as to what life means to them and their context in the world?

I would wager that if some of you actually talked to some heathens, you would find that some of our more metaphysical concepts may not be entirely off target with your own in the grand scheme of things. But no. Unfortunately what I see are the words "heathen", "pagan" and "neo-pagan" bandied about with no consideration as to what each word actually means and how different they really are in meaning. But what is even worse is their usage in such a cavalier and tacitly derogatory manner. It's a shame really.

The thing that I think would be most refreshing one day would be for people with a real interest in discussing different spiritual approaches to actually discuss (!) things as opposed to one side or the other being victim to nonsensical empty comments from the other side--how novel of an idea! Such IS possible in a world of cultured and well-educated people who foster a sense of mutual respect towards the other and his or her learned opinion, you know. But perhaps, in the end, I am asking too much of certain people here.

It's a pity, really. Imagine the very fine discussions we could have if people only met each other halfway.

Last Online
    05-01-2010 @ 08:35 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    African
    Ethnicity
    Yoruba
    Ancestry
    Savannah
    Taxonomy
    Congoid
    Politics
    Yoruban supremacy
    Religion
    trolltheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    And there I think you make a grossly unfair and sweeping assumption that only a devotee of Christianity could possibly know anything about either.
    LOLISSIME! Where did I say that? What a heavy insinuation! All I did was to dismiss the superficial views of Christianity and paganism held by some intellectualoids of the Nouvelle Droite ("new right"). And I know what I am talking about because for some time I was quite interested in the metapolitical and philosophical ideas of that movement and I read quite a few of their books and articles.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Saltimbanque View Post
    LOLISSIME! Where did I say that? What a heavy insinuation! All I did was to dismiss the superficial views of Christianity and paganism held by some intellectualoids of the Nouvelle Droite ("new right"). And I know what I am talking about because for some time I was quite interested in the metapolitical and philosophical ideas of that movement and I read quite a few of their books and articles.
    Ok, but this is how I read your post hence my response. My sincere apologies to you then, Saltimbanque.

In the interest of furthering this discussion then, perhaps you can elaborate as to what you think makes the Nouvelle Droite's take on Christianity and paganism so superficial? I personally quite enjoy Alain de Benoist's writings by the way but I am never above reading and trying to understand the criticisms of thinkers either.

So again in the spirit of positive intellectual exchange, I would be very interested to know your opinion with respect to the Nouvelle Droite's ideas Christianity and paganism and generally on the place of religion in modern society.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Default The falsification of real, pre-Christian heathenry and related issues

I certainly have every right to disapprove of the way that mordern 'heathens' (with quotation marks) parasite on the real heathens before the North was Christian. People have a right to believe whatever they want to believe, but to come along with silly folkish-romantic and creativistic notions and practices of 'heathenry', and to claim, like Psychonaut does, that 'heathens' are the only real preservationists, or that they are more inclined to be preservationists, is downright offensive. It's a falsification of a history that Christians and 'heathens' share! Is that so hard to see?

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Old Stock
    Ethnicity
    New Englander
    Ancestry
    Angles & Picts
    Region
    Vermont
    Y-DNA
    R1b L21
    mtDNA
    H1c
    Taxonomy
    A-S
    Politics
    Landscape
    Religion
    Nature
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

We're just exercising our free will. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Geat
    Ancestry
    Germanics all the way
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Politics
    Relationship Status
    Alive and kicking
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    We're just exercising our free will. There's nothing wrong with that, right?
    If you are inclined to falsify history in the name of preservation, then there is something wrong with it. You usually don't, as far as I know, but there are others who do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information