Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do other germanic countries view england as a germanic country?

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Well the two often travel together, for example you might get culture, language and ethnicity all travelling together, and when it's just heavy influence of a language/culture on an unchanged people (who still hold their ethno-cultural identity) you usually get heavy superficial influence but the fundamental structure remains what it was, or you get the formation of creole languages and cultures. Clearly Brythonic people became Anglo-Saxons, but they assimilated pretty much completely, so genetics would really be the only major thing that defined them differently. Or from an archaeological perspective the occasional survival of some Celtic or Romano-British practice such as weaving style or elements of metalworking, although they tend to be quite uncommon, they are there to be seen. The Anglo-Saxons effectively formed a society in which the assimilation was almost all from Brythonic to Anglo-Saxon. If the Britons had maintained the upper hand and had remained the dominant ethno-cultural group, people here would rather be Brythonic in pretty much every respect but with some Germanic ancestry and the odd cultural thing here and there. Or potentially a Creole of the two could have formed, which would be truly Celto-Germanic.
    Except Germanic nations are German-speaking nations. No one considers the Crimea to be Germanic, even though it used to be. If this thread were 'do other Germanic nations consider the English to be their genetic cousins' then some of the responses would be appropriate.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Longbowman View Post
    Except Germanic nations are German-speaking nations. No one considers the Crimea to be Germanic, even though it used to be. If this thread were 'do other Germanic nations consider the English to be their genetic cousins' then some of the responses would be appropriate.
    Well, if they were still speaking a form of German today, and had culture and genes to go with it then we would.

Well English can be regarded as a German language, if you take only the broad definition (in which pretty much all West Germanic languages are included).

Banned
    Last Online
    05-19-2018 @ 03:04 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Taxonomy
    like mannequins of the shop windows
    Politics
    I don't like proletarians(craftsmen workers) and their primitive descendants
    Religion
    I don't like uneducated people
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,654
    Given: 661

0 Not allowed!

Only British people were who could rival with Hungarians in the contribution in science and technology between 1840-1945 period. (If you consider the difference between the size of the two popultions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science...ogy_in_Hungary

I believe that, Without dominant germanic genetics, the English population would be darker pigmented and less intelligent. It would have been a smaller island version of celtic France.... Without germanic blood England would be similar to neo-latino European countries, whose contribution in technology and science are signifficantly less important in the modern era.
    Last edited by Stears; 01-25-2014 at 08:33 PM.

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Well, if they were still speaking a form of German today, and had culture and genes to go with it then we would.

Well English can be regarded as a German language, if you take only the broad definition (in which pretty much all West Germanic languages are included).
    Thus were the Swedes to start speaking Finnic tomorrow they'd not be Germanic. Germanic nations are nations that speak Germanic languages.

English is a West Germanic language, as is Dutch, Frisian, Scots and Ulster Scots if you're Alex Salmond, Luxembourgish, Vilamovian, and the various German dialects. It isn't a German language though of course they have a shared ancestry.

The other surviving Germanic family is North Germanic, which is the Norse dialects of Danish, Nnyorsk, Bokmal, Swedish, and minor dialects, and the insular Norse varieties of Faroese and Icelandic.

No nation that doesn't speak one of these languages is regarded as Germanic, despite any genetic similarity they might have. On the other hand, anyone who does speak them is Germanic. Thus, people from the South Tyrol are Germanic, as are speakers of Danube Swabian or Walser German are Germanic when Sorbs and Walloons and Norse-Gaels aren't.

The only exceptions I can think of are the Ashkenazis and people who speak English-based creolles like the Jamaicans.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-17-2017 @ 12:33 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Bell Beaker ish
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    29/32 English, 2/32 Welsh, 1/32 Scottish
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    I-M253
    mtDNA
    U5a1b4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,954
    Given: 11,022

0 Not allowed!

Thus were the Swedes to start speaking Finnic tomorrow they'd not be Germanic. Germanic nations are nations that speak Germanic languages.

English is a West Germanic language, as is Dutch, Frisian, Scots and Ulster Scots if you're Alex Salmond, Luxembourgish, Vilamovian, and the various German dialects. It isn't a German language though of course they have a shared ancestry.

The other surviving Germanic family is North Germanic, which is the Norse dialects of Danish, Nnyorsk, Bokmal, Swedish, and minor dialects, and the insular Norse varieties of Faroese and Icelandic.

No nation that doesn't speak one of these languages is regarded as Germanic, despite any genetic similarity they might have. On the other hand, anyone who does speak them is Germanic. Thus, people from the South Tyrol are Germanic, as are speakers of Danube Swabian or Walser German are Germanic when Sorbs and Walloons and Norse-Gaels aren't.

The only exceptions I can think of are the Ashkenazis and people who speak English-based creolles like the Jamaicans.
    Yes exactly.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 01:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British, Irish, German, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Ohio
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M269)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,083

0 Not allowed!

*a whole thread of people confusing a linguistic designation for an ethnic one*
    It's a universal phenomenon. It's prevalent in the non-forum world.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-11-2014 @ 01:20 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Western European
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British, Irish, German, Varied
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Ohio
    Y-DNA
    R1b (R-M269)
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Mediterranean
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,083

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stears View Post
    Yes, it is correct on genetical point of view. English people have just a very slim celtic influence.

For example: the Bavarians have more celtic genetic background than average English people.
    Bavarians aren't the same ethnicity as British Isles "Celts". They share ancestral cultural ties, though. The British and Irish "Celts" received their culture and language from people whose genes had little impact on them. Few continental Celts settled in the British Isles.

Last Online
    05-26-2023 @ 09:10 PM
    Ethnicity
    Britannic
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,797
    Given: 5,979

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stears View Post
    Only British people were who could rival with Hungarians in the contribution in science and technology between 1840-1945 period. (If you consider the difference between the size of the two popultions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science...ogy_in_Hungary

I believe that, Without dominant germanic genetics, the English population would be darker pigmented and less intelligent. It would have been a smaller island version of celtic France.... Without germanic blood England would be similar to neo-latino European countries, whose contribution in technology and science are signifficantly less important in the modern era.
    Without the AngloSaxon input the English would be like central/north-eastern Scots - just as light on average but with more red hair. And no less intelligent!

Last Online
    05-06-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Iran
    Region
    Berlin
    Religion
    zameen khordam
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 636

0 Not allowed!

*a whole thread of people confusing a linguistic designation for an ethnic one*
    So true!

People are so easily duped! Where did the tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut come from?

We know that some of them (Anglo-Saxon kings and warriors) even had coronets and pig's-head emblems on their coats of arms (only to be replaced by dragons and flying snakes later; cf. D. lcke)

http://slothstreet.files.wordpress.c...D500%26h%3D420

What's most shocking is... The German archeologists discovered the king Schweinsteiger´ family crest and name engraved on a wall near Stonehenge ..

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by meAyin-sixteen View Post
    So true!

People are so easily duped! Where did the tradition of eating pork and sauerkraut come from?

We know that some of them (Anglo-Saxon kings and warriors) even had coronets and pig's-head emblems on their coats of arms (only to be replaced by dragons and flying snakes later; cf. D. lcke)

http://slothstreet.files.wordpress.c...D500%26h%3D420

What's most shocking is... The German archeologists discovered the king Schweinsteiger´ family crest and name engraved on a wall near Stonehenge ..
    King Pigherder, family crests in the first Millennium - sorry, I don't think so you've made all that up.

Although it would easy to carve your name into anything once you owned the place.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information