Centre-right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,139
    Given: 800

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Snchpnz View Post

That's all I have for now. Didn't have enough for a complete 60.
    Are those from Cubans living in the US??

Here in the UK one of my best friends is a half-Cuban from Miami.. he is blonde and he doesn't even look Cuban to be honest..

Anyway, are Cubans really that White?? Because watching these results, I'd tend to think Cuba is like a little Iberia..

Maybe Cubans from the island are blacker? Because I've seen many pictures from Cuba in which 70% of people looked straight Black..

Thank you so much!

Banned
    Last Online
    05-21-2015 @ 09:06 AM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,015
    Given: 18,435

1 Not allowed!

Interesting results. Despite the minuscule quantity and overall history of elimination and deportation of native tribes there, a few still score more Native American than SSA. A few also show minor influence of the Chinese that settled here.

Last Online
    02-01-2022 @ 09:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cuban-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 127

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
    Are those from Cubans living in the US??

Here in the UK one of my best friends is a half-Cuban from Miami.. he is blonde and he doesn't even look Cuban to be honest..

Anyway, are Cubans really that White?? Because watching these results, I'd tend to think Cuba is like a little Iberia..

Maybe Cubans from the island are blacker? Because I've seen many pictures from Cuba in which 70% of people looked straight Black..

Thank you so much!
    Like I said, I don't think these results are very representative of the whole island of Cuba. You have to keep in mind that these are the people that have left Cuba and have the means and enough interest to get tested. It's not a random sample. It's a very specific portion of the population. I wouldn't even feel comfortable claiming this to be an accurate representation of all Cubans living outside of Cuba.

I believe this is a study done with Cubans living in the U.S. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I feel the 23andme results I'm posting are only representative of the Euro half of these results. I'm trying to get some Afro Cuban results on 23andme. I've sent share requests to all Cubans on my DNA relatives list in hopes of finding some but so far I haven't found any yet.

Now, to your question about how many white Cubans are there living in Cuba. I couldn't tell you. Numbers range anywhere between 30% to 60% of the population. My personal opinion is that the real number of "whites" is closer to 30% and the 60% comes from people with higher levels of admixture that could still technically "pass".

Also, one thing I want to point out. I haven't noticed any correlation between the time of emigration and the amount of admixture with Cubans. There's the old myth that the first wave of Cubans that emigrated were the "whites" and the later waves (Post 1980's) were more mixed. If anything I've noticed that the amount of admixture is random. There are people who post on their profiles that their families left Cuba in the 60's with higher amounts of African and Native than those who have emigrated in more recent times. Just an interesting observation on my part.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hassad View Post
    Interesting results. Despite the minuscule quantity and overall history of elimination and deportation of native tribes there, a few still score more Native American than SSA. A few also show minor influence of the Chinese that settled here.
    Yeah, I found the level of East Asian "Chinese" admixture very interesting. I've always heard it mentioned but I had never actually seen it show up in any results. Most Chinese Cubans I've seen look fully Asian, I didn't think they actually mixed in with the average Cuban. I've met Cubans that claimed Chinese ancestry but I always assumed it was their way of masking some other less desirable admixture. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw these results on 23andme.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-21-2015 @ 09:06 AM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,015
    Given: 18,435

1 Not allowed!

Yeah, I found the level of East Asian "Chinese" admixture very interesting. I've always heard it mentioned but I had never actually seen it show up in any results. Most Chinese Cubans I've seen look fully Asian, I didn't think they actually mixed in with the average Cuban. I've met Cubans that claimed Chinese ancestry but I always assumed it was their way of masking some other less desirable admixture. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw these results on 23andme.
    There was a Cuban guy on ABF "wonski feint" who was 75% East Asian, the rest was Euro with little native and african. You don't share with him?

Banned
    Last Online
    07-24-2017 @ 11:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Native American-Celt-Iberian
    Ancestry
    Iberian with Amerind + smaller other.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    Y-DNA
    J2
    mtDNA
    C1b2
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto Med- Berid + Amerind admix
    Hero
    Loki
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,785
    Given: 24,757

0 Not allowed!

Unfortunately I'm not sharing with any. If anyone is sharing with Afro Cubans please add them. I'd be interested in seeing their results.
    This are Typical Cuban 23andme DNA results that I have seen.

Big Time Hustler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Hispanoamericano
    Ethnicity
    Mexican National
    Country
    Mexico
    Region
    Estado de Durango
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,180
    Given: 8,859

1 Not allowed!

Most of these are the so called ''white'' cubans. I expect different results from the the more admixed Cubans, who happen to be more numerous than both ''whites'' and ''blacks''.

Cubans that frequently show up at our shores illegally:

Attached Images Attached Images

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Wolf View Post
    Most of these are the so called ''white'' cubans. I expect different results from the the more admixed Cubans, who happen to be more numerous than both ''whites'' and ''blacks''.

Cubans that frequently show up at our shores illegally:
    Yeah, I also wonder what some of the more ambiguous looking ones would score. The ones you posted aren't a very good example since the pictures are small, blurry, and you can't see their faces clearly. You can't even judge by their skin color since they've been floating out at sea under the sun for some time. I know the kind you are talking about though.

Like this.

Not European looking but at the same time you can't really make out if their admixture is African, Native, or what.

Sort of like these Guajiros too.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...hlight=Guajiro.

I saw that thread a while ago and I was hoping someone would classify them. I find them hard to classify myself. I've never seen Europeans that look like that but at the same time I don't really see any particular African or Native features in them either.

I wish I could post pictures of some of the Cubans with their 23andme results. I've been surprised a couple of times after seeing people's pictures and then their results. Some brown ones that I could have sworn were heavily admixed come out scoring 95+% European while other pale European looking ones only score in the high 80's%. It is the weirdest thing.

(These are just random people and I don't know their admixture percentages. I'm just using them as an example because they look similar.)

I've seen people that could perfectly fit into this family get European scores of 95-98%

While others that look like this (which one would assume are more European since they have light eyes and skin) can come out scoring something like 87% European with 8% SSA, 3% Native and 2% Mena.

I really don't get it.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Cuban-American
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Florida
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

There was a Cuban guy on ABF "wonski feint" who was 75% East Asian, the rest was Euro with little native and african. You don't share with him?
    Nope, he might be on my DNA relatives list since most Cubans on 23andme seem to be somehow related but if his info is hidden I probably haven't requested to share with him.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information