Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can India ever learn to love football?

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,956
    Given: 45,027

2 Not allowed!

Default Can India ever learn to love football?

Can India ever learn to love football?

Fifa president Sepp Blatter once called India the 'sleeping giant' of football. With the world's second largest population, many feel India is under represented in the world's most popular sport. For One Square Mile, Tim Samuels set out to see if India can ever learn to play and love the beautiful game.

If the kids playing cricket on a piece of rural scrubland are anything to go by, then the omens are not good.

"Football is trash," shouts one young boy, no more than ten years old.

Indeed, none of the dozen or so youngsters has even heard of Barcelona, Liverpool or the Manchester clubs. There is not a flicker of recognition at the names Messi or Ronaldo.

What makes this all the more ominous for those championing football in India is that the kids are playing cricket on a piece of land barely a mile (kilometre) or two from the training ground of the local football club Pune FC, a team which plays in India's top league.

The challenge for football is considerable, notwithstanding a TV fan base for international football of some 80 million.

Despite its British imperial heritage and potential pool of talent among its 1.2 billion population, India has a distinct lack of footballing prowess, at least for its home-grown talent.

Currently the national team languishes in 156th spot in Fifa's rankings, tied with Liechtenstein (population 36,000) and just below St Vincent and the Grenadines (population 103,000).

Children playing cricket is a much more common sight in India

Though India qualified in 1950, they have never actually made it to the World Cup. They refused to participate, partly because it would have meant their normally barefoot team having to wear football boots.

Not a single player in the current national squad plays for any of the big teams outside their home country.

But there are serious moves afoot to ignite a footballing passion in India.

In 2007, the I-League was formed - the equivalent of the English Premier League - perhaps mindful of Asian footballing success in the likes of Japan and South Korea.

Pune FC, formed by the Mumbai-based Ashok Piramal group, a major Indian family business, is one of the 14 teams in the I-League.

Located about 150km (90 miles) from Mumbai, Pune is one of India's fastest growing cities, packed with hi-tech and high-rises.

This is the modern face of India and, not surprisingly, it is seen as a fertile city in which to seed a new football club in this nascent league.

Just up the road from the cricket-crazy youngsters who had never heard of Manchester United or Barcelona, Anand Piramal surveys his team on the training pitch ahead of their next match.

The young British-educated Liverpool FC-obsessed businessman is the club's owner and is messianic about bringing football to the masses.

'Passion'

He has brought in a Dutch manager and several overseas players. Some with English Premier League experience are part of the first team.

"It's just passion for the sport," says Piramal, explaining his decision to start the team.

"Following European football, following the English Premier League is a lot of fun but we thought being in India let's do something for Indian football."

The vision is still in its early stages. The training ground would be on a par with that of a lower league English club - as are the attendances.

For a Pune FC match later that week, a game that could have seen them go top of the league, the crowd numbered a mere few thousand.

But future success may rest on extending the club's reach and that of home-grown football across the country by looking at where the real passion is coming from.

Amongst those cheering on Pune were youngsters from the poorest sections of society - orphans and slum kids - who, like many in the crowd, were bussed in by the club. After all, it is hard to develop a following from scratch.

The club says it wants to be open to all sections of society. Anand Piramel says his talent scouts are working with NGOs and will be sent to local slums.

"It's important we get local kids coming through the system. Sport in general has the ability to cut across caste - which in India is a big thing - religion, anything."

Football hopefuls in one of Pune's slums

Slum players

After all, footballing passion has traditionally been most intense amongst society's poorest, kids who dream of being the next Maradona or Messi - to escape from however humble a background.

You do not have to tell this to the kids in a slum just a couple of miles from the centre of Pune. Nor do you have to tell them who Man City, Man United or Barcelona are.

Of the 500 or so slums in Pune, I found one that is probably the most football fanatic - replete with their own club, Sukhai FC.

The pitch may be a patch of land prone to the wanderings of cattle and the odd scooter, but the dedication to football is impressive.

Older residents of the slum coach the youth team, the kit area is paid for from the salary of the manager and they all dream of playing for their local club, Pune FC.

"If I can't become a footballer then I can't live," says a 15-year-old boy clad in the Liverpool-red of Pune.

A fellow Pune fan adds: "I want to study and play football because I want to become something after I grow up. I want to be someone."

Most young people his age in India might say the same about cricket, which still has a stranglehold on national obsession.

But if India can start to produce a few Maradonas from the slums - homegrown heroes to propel a nation's pride - then the sleeping football giant might just start to stir.

And India might one day even make it to the World Cup.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    11-23-2014 @ 11:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanid
    Ethnicity
    mutt
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,464
    Given: 4,145

3 Not allowed!

I know many Indians following Premier (English, Italy, Spanish, German) league games and also FIFA world cup.
    90+ % of them just watch and never play

I'm pretty sure, interest to play soccer is increasing but currently extremely low comparing to majority of world countries.

Most Indian parents won't let their children involve in sports during childhood because of emphasis on education and the belief that there is nothing gainful from sports.

Cricket can be played virtually at any place (regardless of size) in the world if there are at least 2 players.

Short-game (3 hours) format of Cricket is now very popular, and that game is as much interesting as soccer.

May be after 3 decades (one generation later), we can see Indian soccer team like current Mexican (at max) team or something.

There is a popular belief that Indian physique is not compatible enough to play the best soccer in order to beat powerful opponents. I'm not agreeing with this though.
    Last edited by GrebluBro; 02-16-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,956
    Given: 45,027

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthAsian View Post
    they love but won't play
    Why not?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

4 Not allowed!

Soccer is boring and lame. It's for people who can't handle anything more complicated.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanid
    Ethnicity
    mutt
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Why not?
    I just expanded my previous opinion..do check it

Last Online
    01-03-2020 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Krypton
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 55

3 Not allowed!

India is not a sporting nation.

Last Online
    01-03-2020 @ 05:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Krypton
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,240
    Given: 55

3 Not allowed!

Lol southasian you faggot, must you thumb down every thing I say?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanid
    Ethnicity
    mutt
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadefire View Post
    Lol southasian you faggot, must you thumb down every thing I say?
    Asshole, if I don't agree with your shit.. I'll thumb down, particularly calling blatantly India as not a sporting nation..
    India do well in some sports.. they are getting better in others...they are not totally useless you dumbass

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    Southasian Hunter-Gatherer
    Ancestry
    Mixed - Multiracial - Multicultural
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    City of London
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58,130
    Given: 58,889

2 Not allowed!

I hope india would play good football, then i make myself a bag of pop corn and cheer for india in 2014 world championship, or maybe thats still too early and it will be in 2018 hopefully in my life time. go india go
    My AncestryDNA autosomal results [yes it is a link click on it]
    “The patriot, like the Christian, must learn that to bear revilings and persecutions is a part of his duty; and in proportion as the trial is severe, firmness under it becomes more requisite and praiseworthy.” ~ Thomas Jefferson, 1805

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Humanid
    Ethnicity
    mutt
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mrswan View Post
    I hope india would play good football, then i make myself a bag of pop corn and cheer for india in 2044 world championship, or maybe thats still too early and it will be in 2048 hopefully in my life time. go india go
    Fixed

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information