Thread: Frisian isn't as close to (modern) English as some people seem to think

Last Online
    01-28-2018 @ 11:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    White, cis gender shit lord
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon/Celt-WASP A pariah of the west.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14,428
    Given: 28,057

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Anglojew View Post
    They were all pretty similar-related (almost identical Germanic) tribes.
    very much so and going back further frisians, saxons, angles, jutes all came from one giant tribe in northern germany/denmark. There is an arugment over how saxon or jutish modern day denmark is or whether it was repopulated with norwegians, gotlanders and swedes after the angles and jutes left. It becomes confusing then. But one thing is for sure the area of land the angles and jutes came from was not able to sustain large populations so this could explain why they invaded Northern England and took it over for themselves. I tend to believe the Anglians contributed much more than Saxons genetically to Britain. However the main political force that invaded Britain were Saxons....however most likely with many Frisian, Jutish, and Anglian peasantry/warriors.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnikk
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Taxonomy
    Syrian Slayer
    Politics
    Islam or Death
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,636
    Given: 1,670

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crow View Post
    I disagree. Angles, Saxons, Jutes, and Frisians were all coastal peoples. However did they fued with each other? Ofcourse. The culture with all of them was very similar. The area the Saxons lived in was rather large compared to that of the Angles, Jutes and Frisians combined.....they were the largest tribe in the area and most likely exhibit much political influence. The Romans did view them as very menacing and actually bought them out to protect the southern shore of england and even an area in northern France. They were basically mercenaries working for the Roman Empire in the later ages before the fall of rome.....the saxons noticed how fertile Britain was and how useless the Roman-Britons were so they said screw it we owe these fruticakes nothing and invaded when the roman legions pulled out.
    The Batavians were the defacto leader among the german tribes though. Their seconds, the Treveri, were also ruled by a branch of the Batavian Royal house. The vast majority of germanic auxilaries before the foderati system raped the roman military was compromised by the Batavian Royal Horse, who although weren't as elite as the multinational Thracian Horse, were very strategically flexible as they were known for their ability to cross rivers with their horses while in full gear. Pretty hard to rest when 3000 dutchmen can cross a big river on horseback then wheel back and wreck some disorganised barbarian encampment.

We also know that they were more advanced as swords and helmets were extremely rare among germanics but more common among batavians and frisians. Not to mention that the only considerable naval threat caesar met in his conquest of gaul consisted of frisians, while support more eastern germans fled and surrendered en masse when boarded by legionaire raiding parties. They also had a poor reputation for seamen while the opposite was true of the frisians.

Their long relationship with rome that I mentioned above also helped them develop technically at rates far greater than those of other germans. When frankish rulers desired to build fleets they either chose gallo romans from southern france to build and man them or frisians.

Arminius and Civilis, the two germans who led significant rebellions against the romans before being defeated, were also part of the Batavian Royal house. Civilis is confirmed while Arminius had at least ties with them. It's also very important to notice that there were noble batavians serving with rome against them. Whatever happened, the royal house would survive and would continue to bully the other germans into line to both win favour and benefits of rome while avoiding another devastation like the battle of wesser river or adastavisus.

I could post a list of the commanders of the germanic auxilary forces serving with the AUR legions in the west. I can also guarantee you that all of them will be batavian.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-18-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Vesuvio tribe, Germanic Lowlands
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized gracile Med + CM
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    L’uocchie sicche so’ peggio d”e scuppettate
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,114
    Given: 4,398

1 Not allowed!

I understand 90 % of what he's saying.
    It's more similar to Old English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitel View Post

I can follow the entire video with just Dutch, it sounds like just another Dutch dialect to me. The vocabulary is pretty much Dutch with an accent, the syntax is the same as Dutch (and different from English), didn't use English even once to understand while watching the video.

How much of the video can you follow with just English or your own language?

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 09:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Direct Democracy, Confederation of the free and old.
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,844
    Given: 4,542

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    The Batavians were the defacto leader among the german tribes though. Their seconds, the Treveri, were also ruled by a branch of the Batavian Royal house. The vast majority of germanic auxilaries before the foderati system raped the roman military was compromised by the Batavian Royal Horse, who although weren't as elite as the multinational Thracian Horse, were very strategically flexible as they were known for their ability to cross rivers with their horses while in full gear. Pretty hard to rest when 3000 dutchmen can cross a big river on horseback then wheel back and wreck some disorganised barbarian encampment.

We also know that they were more advanced as swords and helmets were extremely rare among germanics but more common among batavians and frisians. Not to mention that the only considerable naval threat caesar met in his conquest of gaul consisted of frisians, while support more eastern germans fled and surrendered en masse when boarded by legionaire raiding parties. They also had a poor reputation for seamen while the opposite was true of the frisians.

Their long relationship with rome that I mentioned above also helped them develop technically at rates far greater than those of other germans. When frankish rulers desired to build fleets they either chose gallo romans from southern france to build and man them or frisians.

Arminius and Civilis, the two germans who led significant rebellions against the romans before being defeated, were also part of the Batavian Royal house. Civilis is confirmed while Arminius had at least ties with them. It's also very important to notice that there were noble batavians serving with rome against them. Whatever happened, the royal house would survive and would continue to bully the other germans into line to both win favour and benefits of rome while avoiding another devastation like the battle of wesser river or adastavisus.

I could post a list of the commanders of the germanic auxilary forces serving with the AUR legions in the west. I can also guarantee you that all of them will be batavian.
    Could you please start a thread about the Batavians/Frisians? They have facinated me for years and many times I have felt they could be some key to the history of Northern Europe.
    "If the enemy is not attacking from the East it has flanked." Finnish proverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8D9GaQwIs

Banned
    Last Online
    05-18-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Napulitan/Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Vesuvio tribe, Germanic Lowlands
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Sicily
    Y-DNA
    R-U152
    mtDNA
    K2a
    Taxonomy
    Dinaricized gracile Med + CM
    Politics
    Justice & Peace
    Hero
    Ötzi the Iceman
    Religion
    L’uocchie sicche so’ peggio d”e scuppettate
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,114
    Given: 4,398

0 Not allowed!

Try it now:

My grandmother spoke West-Fries and my great grandfather didn't even speak Dutch his whole life.

Dat fragment die jij als voorbeeld gaf was geen ''plat Fries''.
    Van alle dialecten vind ik persoonlijk Gronings het minst mooi klinken.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnikk
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Taxonomy
    Syrian Slayer
    Politics
    Islam or Death
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,636
    Given: 1,670

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ukko View Post
    Could you please start a thread about the Batavians/Frisians? They have facinated me for years and many times I have felt they could be some key to the history of Northern Europe.
    I can do it in the near future. The problem is locating Tacitus and other such sources online. I have a lot in book format, same as Caesar's memoirs and other historians like Collins or Nelson.

Last Online
    09-25-2015 @ 09:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Baltic Finnic
    Ancestry
    Ancient
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Direct Democracy, Confederation of the free and old.
    Hero
    Tiera
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,844
    Given: 4,542

0 Not allowed!

I can do it in the near future. The problem is locating Tacitus and other such sources online. I have a lot in book format, same as Caesar's memoirs and other historians like Collins or Nelson.
    Thanks.

Tacitus is in many versions, I think you will find some links in Wikipedia.
    "If the enemy is not attacking from the East it has flanked." Finnish proverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu8D9GaQwIs

Like Longbowman, but white Rudel's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Country
    France
    Region
    Limousin
    Y-DNA
    I-Z58
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,037
    Given: 1,861

1 Not allowed!

The problem is locating Tacitus and other such sources online.
    For the swines who can't be arsed to speak Latin (lol, noobs), older translations should be available publicly (check archive.org).

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Yeah right. The Saxons were a larger tribe and most feared in the north sea as they were the majoriy of the pirates. They inhabited modern day northern germany and the eastern half of the netherlands. But then again what time period are we talking about? Later roman period [around right before they left britain?].....I tend to believe the Saxons were a considerable threat to the Romans as they built a very long line of coastal forts....and later hired many Saxons to live there and protect the shores of southern England.... The Saxons are named after the sword they carried....so it is known they had to have carried the feared Seax which I happen to own a remake of one. In close combat they were deadly weapons and the saxons were known to carry them and use them with deadly efficiency. You have an unusual fetish for rome like some other posters here.

However the Romans practically gave Britain to the Saxons. They I do not think cared about Britain as it was seen as the end of the world or edge of the world. However The Saxons and Frisians were pirates for a long time.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Brittany
    Politics
    The power of Kek
    Religion
    God Emperor
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudel View Post
    For the swines who can't be arsed to speak Latin (lol, noobs), older translations should be available publicly (check archive.org).
    why speak dead languages? [jk] I was unfortunately never given the oppurtunity to learn it. Thanks to my cultural marxist school I attended. Had I gone to a better one I might have learned it...some schools offer it and others view it as a useless language in the modern world...odd all of our medicine and what not and words for ingredients in medicine are in latin hahaha.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information