to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Skull Fossil Challenges Out-of-Africa Theory

An exquisitely preserved skull of a tiny-brained human ancestor has been recovered from excavations beneath the ruins of a medieval castle in the republic of Georgia. The skull is about 1.8 million years old and belongs to the first group of humans to migrate out of Africa, reports an international team of archaeologists. The find calls into question a widely held hypothesis that the evolution of big brains propelled the exodus of early humans out of Africa.

The fossil evidence from Dmanisi now includes three skulls, several jaw fragments, and hundreds of stone tools and animal remains. All of the material has been recovered from the same layer of sediment. It is forcing scientists to come up with alternative explanations for why humans were able to leave Africa.
    "Before this find, the main reason was that at least these humans had big brains," said David Lordkipanidze, a paleoanthropologist at the Georgian State Museum in Tbilisi who led the excavation team. "Now this shows that [their brains] were quite small."
    The brain of the new specimen from Dmanisi is about half the size of a modern human's brain. The two skulls found in 1999 at the site are also about 1.8 million years old and had room for substantially larger brains.

The research by Lordkipanidze and colleagues is published in the July 5 issue of the journal Science and is the subject of the cover story of the August issue of National Geographic magazine.
    Treasure Trove
    Dmanisi sits on a promontory formed by the confluence of two rivers between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Tbilisi. Archaeologists first began excavating the remains of a 1,000-year-old castle located on the site in 1936.
    In 1983, while examining an ancient garbage pit, one of the archaeologists uncovered what Abesalom Vekua, a team member from the Georgian State Museum, identified as a tooth of a rhinoceros, an odd creature to have been wandering the Caucasus Mountains. Speculation about what lay in the sediments beneath the castle spurred further excavations.
    Stone tools recovered in 1984 and the two skulls discovered in 1999 were all dated to 1.8 million years ago, making the site a rare treasure trove for scientists interested in human evolution.
    "We can say this is the richest material from this time period from one site and from one strata," said Lordkipanidze. "Usually we have isolated finds. Now on one geological level you have three skulls and three mandibles. We have a chance to study isolated specimens and to study populations."
    Continued on Next Page >>

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...gianskull.html

Junior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-13-2023 @ 08:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Anglo-Saxon/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    West & North European
    Ancestry
    Europe/UK - Prussia, Germany, England, Scotland. Father's Ydna lineage is I2b1 My mtdna is H3
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    H3i
    Taxonomy
    Keltic Nordid
    Politics
    Australia First Party
    Religion
    Ancestral based
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Thank you for such an interesting article. Maybe one day they will find that humans went to Africa from somewhere else instead :-)
    Lo there do I see my Father,
    Lo there do I see my Mother,
    My Sisters and my Brothers,
    Lo there do I see the line of my
    people back to the beginning,
    Lo they do call me,
    They bid me take my place among them
    in the halls of Valhalla
    Where the brave may live forever...
    (anon.)

"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thainig thu."
    Remember the people from whom you came.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulda.Kin View Post
    Thank you for such an interesting article. Maybe one day they will find that humans went to Africa from somewhere else instead :-)
    I would not be surprised

I have enough of Darwin. I have never understood that we could have been fooled by a Pommie.

Thread Information