06-06-2013 @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Men more evolved? Y chromosome study stirs debate

Women may think of men as primitive, but new research indicates that the Y chromosome — the thing that makes a man male — is evolving far faster than the rest of the human genetic code.

A new study comparing the Y chromosomes from humans and chimpanzees, our nearest living relatives, show that they are about 30 percent different. That is far greater than the 2 percent difference between the rest of the human genetic code and that of the chimp's, according to a study appearing online Wednesday in the journal Nature.

These changes occurred in the last 6 million years or so, relatively recently when it comes to evolution.

"The Y chromosome appears to be the most rapidly evolving of the human chromosomes," said study co-author Dr. David Page, director of the prestigious Whitehead Institute in Cambridge and a professor of biology at MIT. "It's an almost ongoing churning of gene reconstruction. It's like a house that's constantly being rebuilt."

Before men get too impressed with themselves, lead author Jennifer Hughes offers some words of caution: Just because the Y chromosome, which determines gender, is evolving at a speedy rate it doesn't necessarily mean men themselves are more evolved.

Researchers took the most detailed examination of the Y chromosome, which females do not have, of both humans and chimps and found entire sections dramatically different. There were even entire genes on the human Y chromosome that weren't on the chimp, said Hughes, also of the Whitehead Institute.

The two-year research took twice as long as expected because of the evolutionary changes found, Hughes said.

There is a bit of a proviso to the comparison to other chromosomes. While all human and chimp chromosomes have been mapped, only two chimp chromosomes have been examined in great detail: Y and chromosome 21. Yet, there's still enough known to make the claim that the Y is the speediest evolver, Hughes and Page said.

Until recently the Y chromosome was considered the Rodney Dangerfield of genetics, especially because it had fewer genes than other chromosomes. A few years ago some researchers even suggested that the Y chromosome was shrinking so that in 50,000 years it would just disappear — and so would men.

"The story is not as cut and dried as many would have liked to predict," Hughes said. "It's kind of fun to say that men are going to die out, but the science is proving — now that we've got data — that that's not true at all."

Page agreed. "The Y chromosome has many more tricks up its sleeve than it was given credit for," he said.

There are a couple of reasons Page and Hughes cite for Y being such an evolutionary powerhouse. One is that it stands alone and isn't part of a pair like 44 other chromosomes. So when there are mutations there's no matching chromosome to recombine and essentially cover up the change, Hughes said. Because women have two X chromosomes, the X chromosome doesn't have this situation.

Another reason has to do with the nature of mating. When female chimps are in heat, they mate frequently and with many partners, so there is an evolutionary pressure on the male to produce the most and best sperm to propagate his genes, Page said.

To test this out, Hughes said she hopes to soon examine the Y chromosomes of a rhesus macaque, which is fairly promiscuous, and the marmoset, which is more monogamous than early humans probably were.

Outside scientists praised the study.

"Wow," said R. Scott Hawley, a genetics researcher at the Stowers Institute in Kansas City. "That result is astounding."

"The Y chromosome clearly has the strength and tenacity to fight back," said Hawley, who wasn't part of the research. "I certainly think the Y chromosome has taken a bad rap for a long time with people doing maps showing areas for channel surfing."

Source

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Explain to me that men(males) have not been able to evolve their widgy and testicle for millions of years,but the female has done a great job of innovating their sex organs according to the one track pony male.

Innovation is a female prerogative.
    One track mind a male asset???

XY chromosomes and XX chromosomes are you telling me that XY chromosomes decide female XX chromosome
    It is the luck of the draw and the XY chromosome acts like a typical man-----slapgat

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,946
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

To think of men and women as some different and independent entities is ridiculous. Gender is only a small part of our makeup, what makes us human. And the one cannot exist and procreate without the other. Every woman has a father, and every man a mother. I find it totally stupid to pit genders against each other in this way.
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    01-18-2010 @ 09:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ethnicity
    Gauti
    Country
    Sweden
    Region
    West Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

The Y-chromosome is just a sex based chromosome segment and does basically one thing (reproduction). After intense research they found what part of the Y-chromosome that is under the most selective pressure...

*drumrolls*

...the part that affects reproduction.

Banned
    Last Online
    02-25-2010 @ 06:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    To think of men and women as some different and independent entities is ridiculous. Gender is only a small part of our makeup, what makes us human. And the one cannot exist and procreate without the other. Every woman has a father, and every man a mother. I find it totally stupid to pit genders against each other in this way.
    I'll go ahead and say what every guy is afraid to say;

Men are superior to women !!

I'm just kidding for all you feminists (included you Loki) and touchy people who can't take a joke, I will just go ahead and get that out of the way...

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-26-2013 @ 10:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brännvin View Post
    I'll go ahead and say what every guy is afraid to say;

Men are superior to women !!

I'm just kidding for all you feminists (included you Loki) and touchy people who can't take a joke, I will just go ahead and get that out of the way...
    Evolution is male-driven. It is a fact.

for all you feminists and touchy people
    Yes. For all you touchy ppl:

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,946
    Given: 45,034

0 Not allowed!

I'm just kidding for all you feminists (included you Loki)
    I'm a feminist?
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm a feminist?
    You did not even read the study proposed by the researchers and was attacking their argument as a crazy feminist alleging equality . Well, I've not read the study but;

Women posses *2* X chromosomes.

Men posses one X, and one Y.

In females, both X chromosomes code the same information, thus, one is redundant, and is "switched off" during embryonic development. This essentially means that for all intents and purposes, the female has less active genetic material than males... We are superiors

А на красивые фантики клюют даже отпетые &#108 nisse's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-17-2010 @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Politics
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

In females, both X chromosomes code the same information, thus, one is redundant, and is "switched off" during embryonic development. This essentially means that for all intents and purposes, the female has less active genetic material than males... We are superiors
    No they don't because the X's will likely have different alleles

...and X inactivation is not equivalent to complete disuse of the genetic material, as people with 1 X are not normal. Clearly, we do something with our second X

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Here the study related to the topic only to you, a.squiggles;

Chimpanzee and human Y chromosomes are remarkably divergent in structure and gene content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information