Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Wood elf + pixie and nymph influences
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,112
    Given: 2,045

7 Not allowed!

Default Alcoholism and the Brain

My mother is an alcoholic (she drinks bottles and bottles of wine every night) She's been an alcoholic for more than 25 years. I'm noticing some serious brain damage. She has a hard time with memory and understanding. I was doing a little research and thought I'd share.

Enjoy!

Areas of the brain that are especially vulnerable to alcoholism–related damage are the cerebral cortex and subcortical areas such as the limbic system (important for feeling and expressing emotions), the thalamus (important for communication within the brain), the hypothalamus (which releases hormones in response to stress and other stimuli and is involved in basic behavioral and physiological functions), and the basal forebrain (the lower area of the front part of the brain, involved in learning and memory) (Oscar–Berman 2000). Another brain structure that has recently been implicated is the cerebellum (Sullivan 2000), situated at the base of the brain, which plays a role in posture and motor coordination and in learning simple tasks.
    Alcohol–Related Brain Atrophy. According to one hypothesis, shrinkage (i.e., atrophy) of the cerebral cortex and white matter, as well as possible atrophy of basal forebrain regions, may result from the neurotoxic effects of alcohol (Lishman 1990). Furthermore, thiamine deficiency may result in damage to portions of the hypothalamus (perhaps because blood vessels break in that region). According to this hypothesis, alcoholics who are susceptible to alcohol toxicity2 may develop permanent or transient cognitive deficits associated with brain shrinkage. (2 Some people may have better immunity than others to alcohol’s toxic effects.) Those who are susceptible to thiamine deficiency will develop a mild or transient amnesic disorder, with short–term memory loss as the salient feature. Patients with dual vulnerability, those with a combination of alcohol neurotoxicity and thiamine deficiency, will have widespread damage to large regions of the brain, including structures deep within the brain such as the limbic system. These people will exhibit severe short–term memory loss and collateral cognitive impairments (Oscar–Berman 2000).
    Frontal Lobe Vulnerability. Although alcoholics have diffuse damage in the cerebral cortex of both hemispheres of the brain, neuropathological studies performed on the brains of deceased patients as well as findings derived from neuroimaging studies of living brains point to increased susceptibility of frontal brain systems to alcoholism–related damage (Moselhy et al. 2001; Oscar–Berman 2000; Sullivan 2000). The frontal lobes are connected with all other lobes of the brain (i.e., the parietal, temporal, and occipital lobes on both halves of the brain; see figure 1), and they receive and send fibers to numerous subcortical structures. Behavioral neuroscientists have determined that the anterior region of the frontal lobes (i.e., the prefrontal cortex) is important for engaging in ordinary cognitive, emotional, and interpersonal activities. The prefrontal cortex is considered the brain’s executive—that is, it is necessary for planning and regulating behavior, inhibiting the occurrence of unnecessary or unwanted behaviors, and supporting adaptive “executive control” skills such as goal–directed behaviors, good judgment, and problem–solving abilities. Disruptions of the normal inhibitory functions of prefrontal networks often have the interesting effect of releasing previously inhibited behaviors. As a result, a person may behave impulsively and inappropriately, which may contribute to excessive drinking.
    There is evidence that the frontal lobes are particularly vulnerable to alcoholism–related damage, and the brain changes in these areas are most prominent as alcoholics age (Oscar–Berman 2000; Pfefferbaum et al. 1997; Sullivan 2000) (see figure 2). Other studies of frontal lobe function in older alcoholics have confirmed reports of a correlation between impaired neuropsychological performance (e.g., executive control skills, as noted above) and decreased blood flow or metabolism (energy use) in the frontal lobes, as seen using neuroimaging techniques (Adams et al. 1998).

Figure 2 Brain MRI scans of age–equivalent men with different histories of alcohol use. The image shows clear evidence of brain shrinkage in the alcoholic compared with the control subject. The graph on the right shows that older alcoholics have less cortical tissue than younger alcoholics, and that the prefrontal cortex is especially vulnerable to alcohol’s effects. The location of the temporal, parietal, and occipital regions of the brain can be seen in figure 1.
    *Z–score is a mathematical measure that is useful for showing the difference between the recorded value and a “normal” value.
    SOURCE: Pfefferbaum et al. 1997.

To read more... http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-2/125-133.htm

Last Online
    03-28-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Czarnian
    Politics
    IRON PILL
    Hero
    Diogenes of Sinope
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,011
    Given: 33,403

4 Not allowed!

I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines. I lost a good percentage of my sight (had to buy myself a pair glasses) and had terrible memory problems. Luckily it was all temporal. I don't need glasses anymore and my memory is neat. I suppose with heavy abuse the damage can be permanent but the effects could reverse a bit if she quit drinking.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    08-29-2014 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Wood elf + pixie and nymph influences
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,112
    Given: 2,045

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines. I lost a good percentage of my sight (had to buy myself a pair glasses) and had terrible memory problems. Luckily it was all temporal. I don't need glasses anymore and my memory is neat. I suppose with heavy abuse the damage can be permanent but the effects could reverse a bit if she quit drinking.

Good thing you quit when you did! I wish she would quit drinking, it's hard to be around her and see her doing this kind of damage to herself. She loves her wine though and is proud of being that way. She is a loser.

Last Online
    03-28-2018 @ 05:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Czarnian
    Politics
    IRON PILL
    Hero
    Diogenes of Sinope
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,011
    Given: 33,403

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Good thing you quit when you did! I wish she would quit drinking, it's hard to be around her and see her doing this kind of damage to herself. She loves her wine though and is proud of being that way. She is a loser.
    I know the feeling of disappointment, and I couldn't really give a fair judgment either to agree with you on calling her like that or not, because I do not know nothing about her life, whereas you do. I would just say, it's quite difficult for a grow up to change habits, but it can be done, you just have to wait until she hits rock bottom and perhaps try an intervention.

I don't have an addictive personality, I only used to drink because I had some problems going on in my life but it's all gone now, so no need to drink heavily anymore. I never drink more than 3 glasses of whiskey or 4 beers and that is approximately once every 2 or 3 months.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-30-2014 @ 12:48 AM
    Ethnicity
    Doggerlander
    Country
    Scotland
    Y-DNA
    R-L21*
    mtDNA
    U5b2a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,164
    Given: 0

6 Not allowed!

My mom is an alcoholic as well. She works as a bartender to boot. She's one of the reasons why I want to never touch alcohol.

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    You follow yours...I follow none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,676
    Given: 12,354

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Something your mom and my mom share once again. My mother cannot go a single day without several glasses of wine. Ever.

My father was a full-blown alkie as well until he was forced to quit under threat of death....by his doctor. He did quit. But he died of brain cancer anyway.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ironic
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Country
    Georgia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    wasted to care
    Taxonomy
    MUH TEBID
    Politics
    are the problem
    Hero
    danishmend
    Religion
    is a private matter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,252
    Given: 19,152

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I used to drink heavily while on benzodiazepines.
    That's super dangerous.

Is a bottle of wine a night an alcoholic?

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by classifymytits View Post
    That's super dangerous.

Is a bottle of wine a night an alcoholic?
    a whole bottle?

yes.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-24-2016 @ 02:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Azorean-Catarinense (Homo sapiens nobilis)
    Country
    Portugal
    Region
    Santa Catarina
    Taxonomy
    [Updating... 10%]
    Politics
    Separatist.
    Hero
    Ana Maria de Jesus Ribeiro Garibaldi (Anita Garibaldi)
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,787
    Given: 3,908

1 Not allowed!

I don't drink, don't want to, never will.

Tough on Violent Crime
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    Mongrelized NW Euromutt
    Ancestry
    Northwestern Europe
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alaska
    Taxonomy
    CM
    Politics
    Suck
    Religion
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

I like to drink sometimes....but my tolerance isn't that good so I have to be careful....especially with my family history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information