The study from the Institute of Public Policy Research, a left of centre thinktank, said the Government should find more sophisticated ways to categtorise people’s race.
Currently people, when asked about their ethnic background by the Government, are offered a limited number of boxes to tick such as “White”, “Indian”, “Pakistani” and “African”.

Typically people are asked for their ethnicity when they apply for jobs, or register at a doctor's or fill in the decennial census.
However the IPPR report said that asking people to be so simplistic about often complex racial backgrounds, left some white groups with the impression that some groups were preferred over others.
This approach was "out of date, alienates many people and is often counterproductive", he said.

Dr Danny Sriskandarajah, the report’s co-author and a director of the Royal Commonwealth Society, said the “current ‘tick box’ approach gives a simplistic and sometimes false picture of disadvantage, exclusion and inequality”.
Asking people to tick one of nine boxes to describe their ethnicity “caused resentment among the white working classes,” he said. “Other groups feel minorities are given a leg up at their expense.”

The report found “increasing resentment among people at the way they feel forced to categorize themselves” when filling in forms.
This created such resentment that “at its worst it can contributes towards pushing people to vote for the BNP and other extremist groups”.
Simon Fanshawe, the study’s co-author, added: “As long as we continue to talk about equalities always in terms of minorities, those in the broader sweep of the population who feel they're not listened to will feel further excluded.
"It's not hard to join the dots from that to one of the reasons why people vote for the BNP.”

Source

Are they seriously correlating the two? I think the rise of the BNP goes a lot further than the ability, or lack thereof, of a White British resident to clearly specify ones ethnicity.

Granted I would prefer to see a more concise choice reflecting the reality of the ethnic make-up of the British Isles, but it is certainly not what makes me vote for the BNP. Poor standards of living, anti-English British governments, the decline of the rights of indigenous peoples, etc, etc, all make me vote for the BNP.