Thread: The Eerie Silence: Should We Be Sending Messages Into Space?

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default The Eerie Silence: Should We Be Sending Messages Into Space?

If we should pick up signals from alien civilizations, Stephen Hawking, our century's Einstein, warns: "we should have be wary of answering back, until we have evolved" a bit further. Meeting a more advanced civilization, at our present stage,' Hawking says "might be a bit like the original inhabitants of America meeting Columbus. I don't think they were better off for it."

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...to-space-.html
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Last Online
    06-26-2022 @ 09:55 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140

0 Not allowed!

It's a bit late to start worrying if we should be sending messages into space, since we've been doing it for the best part of a century already.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Death
    Ethnicity
    Death
    Country
    Netherlands
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhere View Post
    It's a bit late to start worrying if we should be sending messages into space, since we've been doing it for the best part of a century already.
    Indeed, we have been broadcasting our regular radio and tv signals in to space for quite some time.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Moot point for me.

Whilst I accept the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence (on statistical probability it is probable) I believe it to be extremely rare and remote, I certainly don’t believe there is anyone remotely near us, I’m much further towards the “rare earth” philosophy than Drake’s equations.

Add to that I’m sceptical about the likelihood of a civilisation lasting long enough to support an inter-stellar colonisation venture. So if they are there and listening, I don’t expect them here, probably never.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Individualist Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-13-2019 @ 02:25 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian & Yankee
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway Paternal: Massachusetts
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Connecticut
    Politics
    Conservative
    Hero
    Marcus Tullius Cicero and Nikola Tesla
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,884
    Given: 1,005

0 Not allowed!

Default Should we be sending messages into space ?

NO. It may well be too late to worry about that, but, at least, if, as I consider MOST unlikely, we ever detect signals from space indicative of extraterrestrial intelligence, we ought to be very cautious about replying.

IF, and it is a HUGE if, an extraterrestrial race should have developed interstellar travel to the extent that they could travel to Earth in a short length of time, in human terms, this would imply great technologic superiority compared to the human race.

Technological superiority does NOT imply moral superiority. At least, in our own history it never has. On this planet, whenever a technologically superior culture has encountered a technologically inferior one, the result has been the subjugation and exploitation of the inferior one. MAYBE the aliens don't behave that way, but I wouldn't bet the farm, i.e. Planet Earth, on it.

So, how real is this risk ? Not very ! I doubt the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence because, intelligence is not necessarily of survival value.The dinosaurs, the dominant organisms of the terrestrial fauna for some 160,000,000 years, were dimwits. They had armour, claws, fangs, etc., or were capable of running at great velocities to evade predators. They were very successful without intelligence.

Only frail-bodied generalised organisms possessing neither offensive weapons of their own, nor armour, nor speed (like us) would benefit from intelligence, faute de mieux. Unless the history of life on another planet copied rather faithfully the events of the late Mesozoic and early Cenozoic ages on Earth, would an animal which had to depend on intelligence for survival arise. I don't think that that is very likely.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

No!

1. We don't know what sort of beings would contact us back. What's to stop aggressive beings from invading or contacting earth? Do we really want to invite them? Its kid of like shouting something in a jail, some replies might be positive, but a lot might be you getting your arse kicked.
    2. Can you imaging the impact contact with aliens would have on human cultures? It could destroy our civilizations and way of life simply through even peaceful contact.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Any civilization that has the capability of traversing interstellar space from where-ever it is that they live into our solar system, would have no need whatsoever of invading or attacking us.

The real fear would be something like this happening to us:

Ataiba, the tribal leader, seems to be setting the pace for his people. He has developed a taste for welfare and has given up hunting. He prefers to spend his days idly swinging in a hammock. Though he has made no attempt to learn the skills of Neanderthal Man, he has his eye on some of the fruits of modernity. In a hammock-side interview, he told the New York Times: “I want a big house like the missionaries. I want to eat that lovely food they eat. I don’t want to go back to the forest. The forest gives you great sadness.”

Last Online
    05-14-2012 @ 12:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

If extraterrestrial life even exists, it is likely nothing like Hollyweird and other enthusiasts have made them out to be. Most likely, they're very basic organisms with nowhere near our intellectual capabilities. Another factor is that even traveling at the speed of light, it would take decades for them to even reach our solar system...

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Brazil
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,538
    Given: 1,428

0 Not allowed!

Thread Information