Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,740
    Given: 17,041

4 Not allowed!

Default The South Tyrol identity crisis: to live in Italy, but feel Austrian

The South Tyrol identity crisis: to live in Italy, but feel Austrian

In Bolzano, an Italian mountain town on the Austrian border, most residents want independence from Italy and a right to speak German

The first time I visited Italy's quaint town of Bolzano I thought I had landed by accident on the other side of the Alps – across the Austrian border, in Innsbruck.

And not just because of the medieval pointed arches, frescoed wooden chalets and strudel-scented air. People here speak in German and have a hard time replying in Italian. When they do, their strong Teutonic accent takes you aback.

They're Italian citizens but simply don't feel Italian. Bolzano's local authorities estimate that German is spoken by 75% of the 510,000 inhabitants of the Alto Adige region. Locals, however, call it by its original name – South Tyrol – and many wish it were independent.

Eva Klotz is a co-founder of the separatist party Süd-Tiroler Freiheit (South Tyrolean Freedom). She carries a yellow card in her wallet that says "German is my mother tongue".

Klotz says: "There are acts of racism each single day. Despite Italian and German both being official languages, I often bump into police officers who don't know German. They point at the Italian flag stitched on their uniform and require I speak Italian simply because we're in Italy. They don't even know that I have the right to speak in my mother tongue so I show them this card. It drives me mad. I call this linguistic imperialism."

Klotz, who wears long Tyrolese braids and dresses in traditional costume, recently launched a survey for a referendum on South Tyrol's right to self-determination. "It was a huge success: 90% of the 61,000 voters are in favour. In the future this could either translate into full independence from Italy or re-annexation to Austria," she says.

"My dream is to reunite with Austria. I'm an Italian citizen but don't belong to the Italian culture, state nor language. I have a Tyrolese identity. In my cultural backpack there's Schiller."

Klotz says there is a glorification of fascism in the region. "This year over €2bn have been allocated to fund the restyle of fascist architecture and symbols in Bolzano. It's a disgrace."

A sculpture of Mussolini on horseback welcomes visitors at the entrance of the local Palace of Justice. Thirty-five miles south of Bolzano, in the town of Trento, a statue of Dante – the father of Italian language – holds his hand up against the Austro-Germanic domination.

South Tyrol lies at the feet of the Dolomites and was once part of the wider Austro-Hungarian empire. It was annexed by Italy in 1918 yet despite Mussolini's attempt to "Italianise" the area by forbidding German and pushing through Italian vocabulary and culture, locals have fought for their freedom even through terrorist attacks.

Here, Italian speakers are a minority. Citizens' ID cards are different from the rest of Italy's as they are green and written in Italian and German. The local flag is red and white with an imperial Austrian-style eagle in the middle. Epiphany Day – a traditional Italian Christmas festivity when children's stockings are filled with sweets and toys – celebrates the coming of the three wise men and not of the Befana witch on her broomstick.

"There's always been a serious identity issue," says Marco Brunazzo from the department of sociology and social research at Trento University. "Schools are divided according to mother tongue so kids grow up in separate worlds. This has led to integration problems among the different communities."

Valentino Liberto, head of Bolzano's Green Youth Movement, says: "Teenagers tend to hang out with school friends from their own ethnic group. Even sports clubs and squads are divided according to linguistic belonging."

But not everyone in South Tyrol wants to be independent. Liberto talks about his own feelings of identity: "I feel neither 'only' Italian or 'only' German but a little bit of both. I feel South Tyrolese. Luckily and differently from other people my age, I have both German and Italian friends and we like to go clubbing all together."

Many parents in the region make their children do the so-called "linguistic slalom", German middle school then Italian high school so they get to learn both languages.

The distribution of public jobs is based on a strict quota system that takes into account ethnic belonging according to the census. This means that if a school hires an Italian-speaking teacher, the next hire must be a German-speaker.

Green party councillor Brigitte Foppa says: "At the beginning this was meant to protect the German minority, but now having reached a balance it's quite out of date and there's a backlash. Italians feel penalised today. The two linguistic groups have grown apart and there's a lack of reciprocal understanding that leads to prejudices."

Foppa comes from what she calls a "mixed" family. "I had an Italian upbringing and my husband is from Florence. My kids, on the other hand, feel they belong to neither linguistic group."

Bolzano has Italy's highest GDP per capita, according to figures from Italy's National Statistics Office. Locals move around on bikes even when it rains and are proud of showing-off to the world Ötzi the Iceman, a mummy found in the glaciers close to Austria.

"Bolzano's just one of the many cases in Italy of language and identity clashes in border cities,"Brunazzo says. "Europe's state-building has been continuous over the last centuries but if borders can easily be changed identity cannot".

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education...-feel-austrian

Like Longbowman, but white Rudel's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-24-2021 @ 03:49 PM
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Country
    France
    Region
    Limousin
    Y-DNA
    I-Z58
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,037
    Given: 1,861

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    Klotz says: "There are acts of racism each single day. Despite Italian and German both being official languages, I often bump into police officers who don't know German. They point at the Italian flag stitched on their uniform and require I speak Italian simply because we're in Italy. They don't even know that I have the right to speak in my mother tongue so I show them this card. It drives me mad. I call this linguistic imperialism."
    Reminds me of these lesbians who want to wave their tits in the open to protest against patriarchal imperialism.

Last Online
    12-18-2022 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanophile
    Ethnicity
    Nordophile
    Ancestry
    Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Tirol
    Taxonomy
    Gracilized,Reduced Neotenic Eastern Mediterranid+Alpine-CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 257

5 Not allowed!

They are Austrian Germans and belong to Austria.

Last Online
    06-07-2014 @ 10:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    Antipodean
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 24

1 Not allowed!

They're Austro-Bavarians, I believe they currently have a large degree of autonomy and self-governance but don't see what's the problem with allowing them to secede. They're not Italians.

Last Online
    09-19-2021 @ 05:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Eurasian
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian
    Country
    Hungary
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,596
    Given: 409

5 Not allowed!

What identity crisis? Their identity is strong, they are Germans.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Country
    France
    Region
    Limousin
    Y-DNA
    I-Z58
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Honestly if Italy can't get a bunch of mountain dwellers to speak properly, I don't know what can save the bloody country.

Last Online
    08-31-2017 @ 05:09 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Herrenrasse
    Country
    Germany
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 660
    Given: 161

0 Not allowed!

Insanity in individuals is something rare but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Last Online
    04-10-2015 @ 06:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    DE
    Country
    Argentina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 18

2 Not allowed!

Well, first one has to know that Bozen (Bolzano) is the town with the least german-speaking community in South-Tyrol, about 75 % of the today inhabitants speak italian, which has different reasons and is the opposite of the rest of the country. Second you have to know that South-Tyrol isn't part of Italy just since 1920 and has been given to Italy through the Saint-Germain-Treaty out of strategical reasons, the population was never asked. In the 20s and 30s the south-tyroleans suffered a lot under italian fascism and in the end Hitler and Mussolini tried to resettle them to Germany, which wasn't done because of WWII. The Hitler-Mussolini-treaty brought major tensions into the south-tyrolean community, families were about to break, every family had to make an option, often the father wanted to opt for the resettlement in Germany and the mother or the grandfather not etc. it's still a trauma for the older generation. After the war many hoped that South-Tyrol could become austrian again, because Italy was on the losing side like Germany but the allieds decided otherwise. South-Tyrol just got some autonomy-rights which weren't taken too serious by the central government in Rome. So in the beginning 60s some young men committed some bomb attentats, this lead to tensions between Austria and Italy, Austria as protecting state of the South-Tyroleans brought the case to the UN after that the regulations of the autonomy were followed more accurately by the italian authorities and South-Tyrol today has rather good regulations, the south-tyrolean autonomy gives them more rights than any austrian Bundesland has. Many South-Tyroleans know that pretty good. Most of them speak italian pretty well and their economy is rather oriented to the italian market less to the german or austrian one, but young South-Tyroleans have open doors from Sicily to the danish border, in the times of an open Europe they can study either in Florence or in Cologne, which isn't that simple for North-Tyroleans, because those normally don't have the necessary knowledge of the italian language they just learn english at school and begin later to learn foreign languages than south-tyrolean children. So yes, everything has two sides, I don't know if the majority of the south-tyroleans would like to become part of the austrian Bundesland (province) Tyrol, they're culturally the same but they look at more than 80 years of separate history and South-Tyrol would have less rights than it has today, even if it would become an own Bundesland. The border is open, people are free to move around and if we should really want to bring up new borders? Additionally one has to say that alpine South-Tyrolean culture isn't that far away from alpine italian culture in Trentino (the former Welschtirol) and Friaul (Friuli) from what is seen as the main italian culture it is away however.

Btw schools are mostly separate there, there are german schools and italian ones, so teachers normally don't have to be bilingual, but if they are they get a higher wage. In the rest of the provincial authorities however there are strict regulations to reassure bilingualtiy of the employees, in the authorities of the central state, police was mentioned, like the railway or the post, it can happen that people are monolingual (italian).
    Last edited by Shuffle; 06-01-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Last Online
    12-18-2022 @ 11:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanophile
    Ethnicity
    Nordophile
    Ancestry
    Austrian Empire and the Ottoman Empire
    Country
    Slovenia
    Region
    Tirol
    Taxonomy
    Gracilized,Reduced Neotenic Eastern Mediterranid+Alpine-CM
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,526
    Given: 257

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rudel View Post
    Honestly if Italy can't get a bunch of mountain dwellers to speak properly, I don't know what can save the bloody country.
    Rudel you are crazier than me with your anti-Germanic agenda. I am starting to hate Latin-speaking Europeans even more just because of you.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Français
    Country
    France
    Region
    Limousin
    Y-DNA
    I-Z58
    mtDNA
    T2b
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hale Comstock View Post
    Rudel you are crazier than me with your anti-Germanic agenda. I am starting to hate Latin-speaking Europeans even more just because of you.
    I don't have an anti-Germanic agenda, though I do have an anti-German one. Which is unrelated to the subject, since we're talking about Italy.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information