PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
North Korea or Saudi Arabia: which is more oppressive? - Page 6

View Poll Results: North Korea or Saudi Arabia: which is more oppressive?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • North Korea

41 57.75%
  • Saudi Arabia

22 30.99%
  • Both in equal measure

8 11.27%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: North Korea or Saudi Arabia: which is more oppressive?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,956
    Given: 11,667

2 Not allowed!

Mobility in Saudi Arabia is based on gender though. It's hard to believe when a woman uses it as an argument about Saudi Arabia, but then I remember that we're comparing this country to North Korea and all becomes clearer. Internally, however, I think a North Korean woman can move more freely and more safely than a Saudi woman can. Saudi Arabia is a gender apartheid state. People in general are free to leave Saudi Arabia or move around in Saudi Arabia (even though non-muslims can't enter Mecca or Medina).

Last Online
    05-29-2021 @ 09:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Palestine
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,015
    Given: 1,308

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    Mobility in Saudi Arabia is based on gender though. It's hard to believe when a woman uses it as an argument about Saudi Arabia, but then I remember that we're comparing this country to North Korea and all becomes clearer. Internally, however, I think a North Korean woman can move more freely and more safely than a Saudi woman can. Saudi Arabia is a gender apartheid state. People in general are free to leave Saudi Arabia or move around in Saudi Arabia (even though non-muslims can't enter Mecca or Medina).
    Yes that's very true actually, I did find it ironic that I'm writing that as I remembered the gender issue! I was writing it from an economic point of view but I guess if we do compare it from a gendered perspective, North Korea wins in this department. I wonder now how marriage, relationships, dating..etc. is like in N. Korea. We only ever hear about the economic hardships that it kind of dehumanizes the people in an ironic way (we forget they may have normal lives in other aspects).
    "He let his mind drift as he stared at the city, half slum, half paradise. How could a place be so ugly and violent yet beautiful at the same time? He wondered."

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Here's a music clip from North Korea, looking completely normal, which is even weirder.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    You will not like it
    Hero
    el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,148
    Given: 18,117

0 Not allowed!

Anyone who says Saudi Arabia is absolutely clueless...Saudi Arabia spoils its citizens like no other. And 99% of women there have no interest in driving.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    04-25-2024 @ 09:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    British and Colombian
    Country
    Wales
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26,236
    Given: 43,780

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Wadaad View Post
    Anyone who says Saudi Arabia is absolutely clueless...Saudi Arabia spoils its citizens like no other. And 99% of women there have no interest in driving.
    (1) A high percentage of residents in Saudi are foreigners, who are often treated like dirt.
    (2) The prohibition on driving is far from being the only injustice/restriction women there face.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-19-2018 @ 05:46 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Cushite
    Ethnicity
    Somali
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    You will not like it
    Hero
    el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23,148
    Given: 18,117

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by la vita e bella View Post
    (1) A high percentage of residents in Saudi are foreigners, who are often treated like dirt.
    (2) The prohibition on driving is far from being the only injustice/restriction women there face.
    I am aware of the (varying degrees of) mistreatment of foreigners...Its why I chose 'ctizens' in my previous post. NK treats citizens and foreigners alike, poorly. A Saudi can get his government to pay for his or her overseas education all the way to PHd levels, they will give him money to build a house when he gets married, etc...and the same thing applies to their women as long as they get approval from their husband or dad. In NK, the women would need approval to travel from the state...If I was a woman, I'd rather my male relatives be my guardian than the state.

Sibiriin Huiten Salhi Siberian Cold Breeze's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-27-2023 @ 04:39 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Stepnomad
    Ethnicity
    Il-Khans/ Bayat
    Ancestry
    Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    Country
    Turkey
    Y-DNA
    YecüC
    mtDNA
    MecüC
    Taxonomy
    Eurasian
    Politics
    AltanOrd'icism
    Hero
    Chinggis Khaan
    Religion
    Tengri biz menen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,067
    Given: 3,867

0 Not allowed!

I am aware of the (varying degrees of) mistreatment of foreigners...Its why I chose 'ctizens' in my previous post. NK treats citizens and foreigners alike, poorly. A Saudi can get his government to pay for his or her overseas education all the way to PHd levels, they will give him money to build a house when he gets married, etc...and the same thing applies to their women as long as they get approval from their husband or dad. In NK, the women would need approval to travel from the state...If I was a woman, I'd rather my male relatives be my guardian than the state.
    not when you are a princess , your father is state and you are kept 15 years behind walls

Listen to -->>

Kam Ata - Tengri Teg -TAMU

There is no hierarchy in nature, only harmony. No chosen people, no chosen race, no soul slavery. My true beloved ones are Black Earth and Eternal Blue Sky

Last Online
    01-28-2021 @ 04:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 161

0 Not allowed!

North Korea. Though Saudi Arabia does get an honorable mention for being the only state in the Middle East that never held an election. Quite a tough competition in their region and they won it.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Cold Breeze View Post
    not when you are a princess , your father is state and you are kept 15 years behind walls
    Or one other - more terrible - example. Not when your guardian is an abuse uncle who frequently rapes his niece. This is very common. Such a woman is forced to endure it her entire life in Saudi Arabia. Sure Wadaad could think of that possibility too?

Last Online
    01-28-2021 @ 04:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Brazilian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 161

0 Not allowed!

If you're a friend of certain powerful individuals in NK you can get to meet Dennis Rodman or go to swiss schools . Everywhere there's priviledge to certain people, you just have to know the right people.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information