Country
    United States
    Region
    Texas
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

I definitely agree that the pressure to be "all this", "all that", and (just perhaps) comparing ourselves to our peers despite all our rhetoric of "I don't care what people think" does get to us quite a bit. Even if we don't care about what others think, we still have to think about families to feed, clothe, educate, and provide a few "extras" here and there. Regarding the latter, I think that our materialist culture plays a huge role in determining this (which feeds back into caring what others think of us).

This actually is more appropriate for another thread, but the OP reminds me once again why I'm glad I chose NOT to raise a family or even seek out a spouse (not to rub it in, for those who are married or have a family). Certainly I'm a lot happier without a family of my own than I would be with one - which gives me more time to concentrate on what I want to do. Selfish? Maybe, but I decided that I'm not any more obligated to live up to society's expectations of me any more than other people are to live up to my expectations of what I wish them to be.

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Yes, for sure. No question about it.
    Well don't have much to look forward to do I.

I doubt I will live to see 74, being an ex-smoker an all. How many years did I take off my life?

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

An interesting prospective topic of study:

"They added that as we get older, we may become better at keeping any negative emotions in check."

Hardly anyone would not benefit from better control over their own emotions.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I think my unhappiest time was between 30-35 when both of my parents died - but after this, I realised that their deaths were a landmark in my maturity level - it was a time that I had to really grow up. Without my dependency on mum and dad, I've become much more level headed and content. Quite looking forward to my old age - it's a good excuse for being as cantankerous as you want and not giving a damn about it.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    But then it gets BETTER!!!!
    Are you sure????
    At 40 I feel like a French fry,will I be feeling like a McCain's American Fry at 74---All fatty and blubbery

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Lunatic View Post
    Are you sure????
    At 40 I feel like a French fry,will I be feeling like a McCain's American Fry at 74---All fatty and blubbery
    Ack Dok!! McCain's is a Canadian company!!! We still call them French fries here, or more accurately, for that part of the country, from what I understand, chips!!!

From wikipedia:

*McCain Foods Limited is a privately owned company established in 1957 by four brothers Harrison McCain, Wallace McCain, Robert McCain, and Andrew McCain in Florenceville, New Brunswick, Canada. It is the world's largest producer of french fries and other oven-ready frozen food products.
    But to answer your question: well I've got a few more years on you but you know, better being a French fry than a tub o' margarine! At least a French fry has the semblance of being skinny and is always a welcome sight.

Last Online
    06-27-2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

Ack Dok!! McCain's is a Canadian company!!! We still call them French fries here, or more accurately, for that part of the country, from what I understand, chips!!!

off topic-we call them chips here too.

veni, vidi, dormivi

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Article View Post
    A combination of fewer responsibilities and financial worries and having more time to yourself produces a contentment unknown earlier in life, they say.
    That is all dependent upon your financial circumstances when you are 74.

It doesn't need saying that in Great Britain...sorry, in England, you are generally left to fend for yourself with little to no benefit income whilst every Abdul and his dog gets the lot.

If this is the case when I am 74, my happiness will be from wanting to die. (if I haven't died already during the winters, or from MRSA in the hospitals, or or or or)

Those in their twenties and thirties, on the other hand, face the stresses and strains of buying a house, bringing up a family and forging a career.

But this happiness scale appears to be a peculiarly British phenomenon, the researchers from the German Institute for Economic Research found.

When they carried out a similar analysis of German men and women, they found that levels of satisfaction remained relatively stable throughout life.
    Interesting that that was mentioned. I don't know how correct I am in saying this, but I recall reading that Britain has the highest amount of home owners in all of Europe. If true, then I am not surprised that Germans are more content having on average no huge mortgage burdening them throughout their working life.

See! And most of you here are all "oh my god, 30 is soooo old and close to death !"
    Its because it is old. It was only 3000+ years ago that 30 was thought of as old and life had been fulfilled ie: Family, community, etc.. Nowadays 30 means a stop to being an immature individual, settle down with a woman, have a family, get the ticket number for the rat race and smile.

If you're lucky that is.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
    Most old people I have seen do seem a little bit happier than their grandchildren. However they are always talking about coffins and graveyards which can lower the happiest status a little bit.

Mostly, they're satisfied with their life because they have been through life accepting that every day is a brand new day rather than just wishing the day be over with.
    Yeah, my Nana is like that. She can fill your head with so many stories and how she lived her life, but by the end of each day she will state she can't wait to die as she has lived her life, and she lives everyday as it were her last.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Mccain is trying out so many products in SA and the variety of chips is endless.The only chips I eat are the short and very thin ones.
    I must admit I like some "blubber" on a woman?????????? Goed voor de spijsvertering

But to answer your question: well I've got a few more years on you but you know, better being a French fry than a tub o' margarine! At least a French fry has the semblance of being skinny and is always a welcome sight.
    At the rate I am waisting my energy I should look 50 in 2 years from now.
    Welcome sight?????????? You are joking...not??

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch