Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is/are your favourite Canadian city(ies)?

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default What is/are your favourite Canadian city(ies)?

My favourite, well next to my home town of Ottawa which I won't include here because well, I want to talk about somewhere else eh, is Montréal. It's rich in culture and refinement; it's industrial yet old world; it's sassy yet elegant. It has a buzz all its own and nothing that compares to the sterile overgrown Toronto or the roll-up-the-sidewalk-at-6-pm style of Ottawa. It reeks of old money in some neighbourhoods and of lesser means in others and everything else in between. Nowhere else in the world can you get a 'hot dog steamé'. It's the home of the old Forum and the Habs. It's the French Canadian's gateway to modern French Canadian culture set in historic architecture and landscapes....It's...ahhhh....in a word: Montréal.

Montréal est un monde en soi.

Salut!...Aemma

Banned
    Last Online
    05-23-2009 @ 05:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Germanic
    Ancestry
    Continental Europe and the British Isles. [Norway, Scotland and the former Hapsburg Empire]
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    Protestant [Agnostic]
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    My favourite, well next to my home town of Ottawa which I won't include here because well, I want to talk about somewhere else eh, is Montréal. It's rich in culture and refinement; it's industrial yet old world; it's sassy yet elegant. It has a buzz all its own and nothing that compares to the sterile overgrown Toronto or the roll-up-the-sidewalk-at-6-pm style of Ottawa. It reeks of old money in some neighbourhoods and of lesser means in others and everything else in between. Nowhere else in the world can you get a 'hot dog steamé'. It's the home of the old Forum and the Habs. It's the French Canadian's gateway to modern French Canadian culture set in historic architecture and landscapes....It's...ahhhh....in a word: Montréal.

Montréal est un monde en soi.

Salut!...Aemma

Well my favorite town is a small place in Manitoba where my ancestors have lived in (or near) for a hundred years.
    But Montreal is certainty my favorite. It's the closet you can get in North America to a strong European culture and setting. You don't get these kind of opportunities in the American/Canadian PNW, were everyone is first generation and the oldest building being no more than 20 years...

Not technically a city but the West Edmonton Mall is probably my favorite part about Edmonton. I also like going to Calgary to see the Calgary Stampede.
    Alberta has always been a second home for me. I absolutely hate where I live, everyone is Asian or obsessed with the PC/MC culture. In Alberta, I can find a lot of people with a similar racial and political background. In all likelihood and despite the awful weather, I probably will be moving to Alberta after finishing my education.
    Last edited by TheGreatest; 01-11-2009 at 03:59 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

I've only been to 5 of them so I'll try to be as objective as possible.

1. Montreal, a real classy city IMO, nice architecture down by the river, friendly people, great food, especially along Rue Ste. Catherine.

2. Vancouver, have stayed here for a fortnight, fantastic setting, looks like a new pin, excellent food here also.

3. QC, great architecture, esp around the old town - eg Chateau Frontenac. Beautiful surroundings esp with Montmorency Falls just around the corner (I saw these in mid Feb when they were completely frozen, stunning!)

4. Ottawa, only stayed here for 6 hours, so didn't really get to see the city. This place I'll always remember, it was -15c with a really hard northerly wind - couldn't feel my face!

5. Toronto, stayed even less here, but it looked ok.

Banned
    Last Online
    05-23-2009 @ 05:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Germanic
    Ancestry
    Continental Europe and the British Isles. [Norway, Scotland and the former Hapsburg Empire]
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    Protestant [Agnostic]
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sveyn View Post
    I've only been to 5 of them so I'll try to be as objective as possible.

1. Montreal, a real classy city IMO, nice architecture down by the river, friendly people, great food, especially along Rue Ste. Catherine.

2. Vancouver, have stayed here for a fortnight, fantastic setting, looks like a new pin, excellent food here also.

3. QC, great architecture, esp around the old town - eg Chateau Frontenac. Beautiful surroundings esp with Montmorency Falls just around the corner (I saw these in mid Feb when they were completely frozen, stunning!)

4. Ottawa, only stayed here for 6 hours, so didn't really get to see the city. This place I'll always remember, it was -15c with a really hard northerly wind - couldn't feel my face!

5. Toronto, stayed even less here, but it looked ok.

I've visited Toronto B/C of friends and family. Personally the whole ''Empire of Toronto" attitude doesn't rub off well on me.

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

I've only visited three Canadian cities: Montréal, Québec and Ottawa. My favorites are Montréal and Québec . I wonder if they still are the same ... I visited them 10 years ago.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Flanders
    Region
    Picardie
    Relationship Status
    In a relationship
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 2

0 Not allowed!

Montreal for it's awesomeness.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Vancouver. It's a beautiful city in spite of all the Asians. And Victoria. In Ontario I like the Oakville-Burlington area. Not as crowded as Toronto to the east & much less diverse but still on Lake Ontario.

Last Online
    07-08-2012 @ 11:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    Barbarians the Romans couldn't handle
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Philadelphia
    Politics
    Tradition and improvisation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

Toronto is my favorite city on the continent. It is decadent in a good way, has a decent music scene, is walkable, and has a magnificent assortment of museums. The McMichael Gallery is technically outside city limits but its collection of Canadian painting is extraordinary. Unfortunately, Canada's form of nationalism is so protective they keep their culture to themselves. It comes as a pleasant surprise for visitors.

The settings of Vancouver and Quebec City rival that of San Francisco. Quebec seemed more French than anywhere in France. I asked why they have medieval city walls and then learned some history that is neglected in the schools of the USA...

I have heard good things about Montreal but have not been there since I was a kid and too young to appreciate all its charms.

My least favorite city is Niagara Falls, a predatory tourist trap. Other cities in Ontario I passed through rivaled Buffalo and Rochester for charm.
    Last edited by Loddfafner; 01-11-2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: afterthought

Last Online
    11-01-2009 @ 11:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Country
    Canada
    Region
    Ontario
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

I've seen very little of Canada, and have actually never been outside of southern Ontario (I've done more travelling in the United Kingdom than here ). As far as favourite cities go, topping my list would be where I live, Hamilton. Not that I particularly like it; it's dirty, poverty-stricken, and immigrant-infested, but I've become accustomed to it after being here for so long. Aside from that, Burlington is a fairly nice city, being far quieter and less diverse in comparison. The Niagara Region also has some decent cities and towns which still have an old-world feel about them, and the landscape is largely unaltered. The only negative point is that most of the wineries have been purchased by Italians and Portuguese, who are presently wrecking the look of things with their ugly home architecture (concrete, fountains, statues, and wrought iron everwhere) and Catholic churches. 2

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Region
    Pembrokeshire
    Politics
    Huh?
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100

0 Not allowed!

Has anyone visited Victoria? When I stayed in Vancouver we arranged a trip over to the island but the weather prevented us from going - I was so gutted!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information