Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Oy Vey!

Only in America:

JEWISH WEDDING 'JIHAD'

RANK PRANK: Stephen Buttafuoco (right) faces a hate-crime rap after allegedly playing Arabic chants at the wedding of David and Amanda Zar (left).

A Long Island waiter rebelling against his pastor father terrorized guests at a Jewish wedding reception, blasting a recording of a pro-Palestinian rally that included Arabic chants through the DJ's microphone, authorities said yesterday.

Stephen Buttafuoco, 23, was charged with an aggravated harassment as a hate crime for allegedly blaring "Allahu akbar," Arabic for "God is great" - scaring more than 700 guests at the wedding of David and Amanda Zar, who were wrapping up the reception at the Woodbury Jewish Center at around 1 a.m. last Sunday, Nassau County cops said.

Buttafuoco, who was arrested Friday and is not related to infamous Long Island lothario Joey Buttafuoco, allegedly "admitted he did this with the intent of disrespecting the [Jewish] religion," according to court papers.

He was arraigned yesterday in Nassau County District Court and released on $1,500 bail.

His lawyer, Thomas Spreer, insisted his client is not a terrorist, just a confused kid trying to rebel against his minister father.

"He did a foolish and impulsive act," Spreer claimed. "He's not a radical. He didn't even know they were on the air. He feels absolutely horrendous."

Buttafuoco, a Queens College creative-arts student, had been at a pro-Palestinian rally in Manhattan a day before the wedding, and recorded the chanting on his cellphone.

At the Jewish Center, Buttafuoco thought he was playing the recording just for a friend, and didn't realize it would be blared to the whole reception, his lawyer said.

Morrell Caterers, which handles weddings at three Long Island temples, including the Woodbury Jewish Center, said Buttafuoco was fired on the spot.

"We took appropriate action. We fired the gentleman in question and we called the police," said co-owner Scott Morrell.

Spreer said his client was not anti-Semitic, and had worked for Morrell Caterers for about two years without any problem.

Stephen "was just quietly rebelling against his dad," Spreer said.

The father, Dan Buttafuoco, is an ex-Marine who serves as a minister at the Gateway Life Center, a Pentecostal church in Babylon, LI, and says he's a supporter of Israel.

"He was just fooling around with his friend. He didn't realize it was being echoed around the whole building," the devastated dad said outside his Suffolk County home yesterday.

"We have nothing against any other religious background, especially the Jewish people. We love them."

The family wants to make amends to the Jewish community, Spreer said.

The incident has mortified the Buttafuoco family, his father said. "I've been appalled by it. My wife and I are just very hurt. We're scared."

The groom wasn't too concerned, however.

"I'm still celebrating my wedding and I really don't want to think about this," David Zar told The Post.

Source

Why are the police even involved in this matter?
    Last edited by Æmeric; 01-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Wouldn't the marrying couple have to press charges for him to be charged with this..?

Banned
    Last Online
    09-17-2009 @ 10:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain (Some by way of Ulster) & Germany
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Osteuropid-NorthAlpinid
    Politics
    Ultra-Conservative/anti-Obama
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33

0 Not allowed!

It would seem to be more of a civil matter then criminal. Apparently his "crime" is "disrespecting the Jewish religion,".

The Dog Days Are Over Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 07:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/English/American
    Ethnicity
    Pretty
    Ancestry
    Scotland/England/America
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Alabama
    Taxonomy
    Beautiful
    Politics
    Rather Not
    Religion
    half Atheist/half Spiritul/Nature
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    It would seem to be more of a civil matter then criminal. Apparently his "crime" is "disrespecting the Jewish religion,".
    I don't think he should be charged with a hate crime. I guess it shows how little you have to do for it to become a hate crime...seems a little harsh.

Thread Information