Ancestry
    Ireland
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,552
    Given: 29,000

3 Not allowed!

Nordic people are the Scandinavians and the Irish are not Nordic. However they are Northern Europeans but primarily of Bronze Age Bell Beaker stock. Also I think using "Celtic" in genetics is inaccurate. If you are speaking about culturally I think it is okay to call the Irish Celtic but people can debate that as well. The fact that they speak a Celtic language is a pretty strong reason for why they can be called Celtic but if you look at genetics they are just Northwestern European and in the same cluster as the British, Dutch, Scandinavians etc.

A lot of populations in the same cluster also have Bell Beaker or Corded Ware ancestry and Bell Beaker is an offshoot of Corded Ware. Autosomally all of Northern/Northwest Europe is very close and even looking at ydna while Ireland has approx 80% L21 it is in all the other populations of that area with Scotland having nearly 65% and Wales 61%. The rest of the ydna is different clades of R1b but also some R1a and I etc. Norway for instance has over 21% L21 and Sweden 15% L21. Some of this will be looked at as more studies come out. I believe alot of that is due to Bell Beakers with some later Medieval migrations.

So they are Northwest Europeans but Nordic just means a person from Scandinavia, Finland or Iceland.

Last Online
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    100% Northwest European and Flemish
    Ancestry
    From Flanders ( Koninkjrik België )
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R1a - L664
    mtDNA
    n/a
    Taxonomy
    60% Borreby with strong 40% Keltic Nordid admixture
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,187
    Given: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace O'Malley View Post
    Nordic people are the Scandinavians and the Irish are not Nordic. However they are Northern Europeans but primarily of Bronze Age Bell Beaker stock. Also I think using "Celtic" in genetics is inaccurate. If you are speaking about culturally I think it is okay to call the Irish Celtic but people can debate that as well. The fact that they speak a Celtic language is a pretty strong reason for why they can be called Celtic but if you look at genetics they are just Northwestern European and in the same cluster as the British, Dutch, Scandinavians etc.

A lot of populations in the same cluster also have Bell Beaker or Corded Ware ancestry and Bell Beaker is an offshoot of Corded Ware. Autosomally all of Northern/Northwest Europe is very close and even looking at ydna while Ireland has approx 80% L21 it is in all the other populations of that area with Scotland having nearly 65% and Wales 61%. The rest of the ydna is different clades of R1b but also some R1a and I etc. Norway for instance has over 21% L21 and Sweden 15% L21. Some of this will be looked at as more studies come out. I believe alot of that is due to Bell Beakers with some later Medieval migrations.

So they are Northwest Europeans but Nordic just means a person from Scandinavia, Finland or Iceland.
    In the sense of the Nordic countries ( Scandinavia, Iceland, Finland, Faroe Islands), they are not, rather North - West Europeans, This is true. However, in the racial sense ( Nordic or Northern European race) they are every bit Nordic, as they are as a whole the fairest - skinned people on earth, with one of highest ratio of blue and light eyes in the world, if not the highest. As well as the highest ratio for ginger hair in the world for which they have been stereotyped.

Out of the ***** Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Country
    Sweden
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,023
    Given: 2,190

0 Not allowed!

There are no Catholics in North. All here are 1.) Lutherans or 2.) separated from church.

Catholics feels pretty different ...

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread Information