Last Online
    09-15-2011 @ 08:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I don't know whether or not the methods are what I would choose, though I agree that she ought not be allowed to breed.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I don't know whether or not the methods are what I would choose, though I agree that she ought not be allowed to breed.
    "Allowed to breed"? That's a rather unfortunate choice of words, mein freund.

If she at the same level of development as a three-month old baby, then she surely is not aware of anything remotely pertaining to procreation (or much else for that matter) or even capable of desiring it.

Those who say this'll lead us to a slippery slope, at the bottom of which Dr. Mengele awaits, should think of the situation first and foremost as a medical emergency.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    If she at the same level of development as a three-month old baby, then she surely is not aware of anything remotely pertaining to procreation (or much else for that matter) or even capable of desiring it.
    That has been my thoughts also while reading this thread, it's not like she's bar crawling everynight or frequenting dating sites on the internet for fuck's sake.
    We're talking about a severely disabled individual who's under constant care and monitoring, how, and why, on earth would she have "wanted" to (or have been able to) procreate anyway?

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    and why, on earth would she have "wanted" to (or have been able to) procreate anyway?
    Well there might be some sick bastard out there that might try to take advantage of her...

I remember reading sometime a go about a male nurse that raped a disabled girl that was in his care.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Psychoactive
    Ethnicity
    Green ;)
    Taxonomy
    Artemisia absinthium
    Religion
    Obscure
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 49

0 Not allowed!

Well that could also be avoided with common sense, by not hiring male nurses. A little less radical than forced sterilization, dontcha think?

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

I think some of you missed this part

However, while the epilepsy is controlled, seizures can occur when she has a heavy menstrual period, which have been happening since she was nine years old.

The family was told by experts in March 2009 the recommended treatment would be a hysterectomy, the court heard.
    If both her parents and her physician feel that it's the best route to take in improving her condition, then it was likely a good decision. It's definitely a slippery slope, but in any case, hopefully it will help her.

Last Online
    09-15-2011 @ 08:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    "Allowed to breed"? That's a rather unfortunate choice of words, mein freund.

Those who say this'll lead us to a slippery slope, at the bottom of which Dr. Mengele awaits, should think of the situation first and foremost as a medical emergency.
    There are plenty of mentally disabled people who marry and breed anyway, regardless of whether or not they're capable of even understanding such things. And your "slippery slope" argument is all too reminiscent of liberal arguments regarding preservationism and completely unfounded. A point of view is not to be judged simply for being on the same side of the spectrum as another.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    And your "slippery slope" argument is all too reminiscent of liberal arguments regarding preservationism and completely unfounded. A point of view is not to be judged simply for being on the same side of the spectrum as another.
    But I'm not actually making any slippery slope arguments, am I? Didn't I specifically say that in this case such arguments should not be considered?

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

As la bombe noted, it seems most of you are missing the point.

The intended objectives for this hysterectomy would be to:

(1) relieve the patient of the increased risk of epileptic seizures - in addition to

(2) sparing her (and her carers!) the psycho-physical discomfort toll unfortunately associated with menstrual periods
    [a factor which I reckon has been overlooked as male posters have no direct experience and probably no idea of],

The issue here is not a matter of a "omg, she can't be allowed to breed - must! sterilize! her!" type of reaction.

Since she was born, Angela - whose parents married in South America and came to Australia in 1991 - has had epileptic seizures but they are now under control through medication.

However, while the epilepsy is controlled, seizures can occur when she has a heavy menstrual period, which have been happening since she was nine years old.

The family was told by experts in March 2009 the recommended treatment would be a hysterectomy, the court heard.

Banned
    Last Online
    10-05-2014 @ 02:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    European
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,296
    Given: 3,160

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    As la bombe noted, it seems most of you are missing the point.

The intended objectives for this hysterectomy would be to:

(1) relieve the patient of the increased risk of epileptic seizures - in addition to

(2) sparing her (and her carers!) the psycho-physical discomfort toll unfortunately associated with menstrual periods
    [a factor which I reckon has been overlooked as male posters have no direct experience and probably no idea of],

The issue here is not a matter of a "omg, she can't be allowed to breed - must! sterilize! her!" type of reaction.
    Ah, right, I mustn't of noticed the part about the seizures being triggered when she is through menstrual period.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information