Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

The results of the study show that Finns may be more closely related to the Dutch and to Russians from eastern Moscow, than to Hungarians, whose language can be most closely linked to Finnish. The researchers have therefore concluded that Finnish genetic ancestry follows geographical rather than linguistic patterns.
    Like pointed out, closest are Estonians and Hungarians are mostly Central and Central-Eastern European, with the Magyar part being very low, so no wonder about that, Hungarians are mostly the result of "elite dominance".

Professional Racial anthropologist
    Last Online
    01-16-2014 @ 03:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 433

0 Not allowed!

I have been to all the Nordic countries and I can definitely attest that Norwegians are darker in hair and eye colour compared to their Swedish and Finnish neighbours.

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Like pointed out, closest are Estonians and Hungarians are mostly Central and Central-Eastern European, with the Magyar part being very low, so no wonder about that, Hungarians are mostly the result of "elite dominance".
    Wrong. The genetical bridges from Finland to the west and to the east go through Sweden and Estonia. The western genetical influx in Finns is larger than the eastern making Finns closer to Swedes than Estonians.
    That's what mr Ripatti said.

Well, Mr. Pseudoscience, depends on what you mean. Ancient Hungary was the result of elite dominance as the invaders most likely had more men carrying N1c (as preliminary attested by grave findings) and other funky central Asian haplogroups. The invading Hungarian people were not as numerous as the neighbouring people so todays Hungarian genetic setup is the natural result of geographical admixture. Hungary lies pretty much in central Europe and have seen a lot of push and pull and it would be a surprise if they would not be genetically similar to their neighbours.

Last Online
    12-13-2012 @ 07:09 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Ethnicity
    Nordic
    Country
    Finland
    Politics
    Nordic
    Religion
    Nordic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

0 Not allowed!

A few corrections and comments.
    Finns do have the same genes as do everyone else in nrthern Europe, but our genes have taken a different direction thanks to isolation and drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matritensis View Post
    The study also found that the Finnish genetic pool does not resemble that of the closest linguistic group, the Hungarians,
    As, pointed out, Hungarians are definetly not the closest linguistic group of Finns. Finnish belong to the Finno part of the Finno-Ugrian languages and Hungarian belong to the Ugrian part of the Finno-Ugrian languages. Compare Indo vs. European.
    The Estonians are our closest linguistical group of people.
    Correction: Language groups are divided into Baltic-, Volga- and Perm-Finnic groups. The closest language group to Baltic-Finnish (Finnish, Estonian e.t.c) languages are Perm-Finnic languages. Ugric languages are a world apart and is a wholly different branch of the linguistic tree of the Finno-Ugrian languages.

The results of the study show that Finns may be more closely related to the Dutch and to Russians from eastern Moscow
    Not only may be but is.

Similarly, coastal dwelling Swedish-speaking Finns show more genetic similarities to Swedes than they do to other Finns.
    No. Swedishspeaking Finns show more genetic similarity to other Finns, and specially western Finns, than they do with Swedes.
    What they said was that there was an elevated Swedish influence in Swedishspeaking Finns and this influence was somewhat higher in Finlandswedes than Finns.

Last edited by Motörhead Remember Me; 09-09-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 368

0 Not allowed!

This again shows your ignorance about this area of Europe. Finns aren't genetically the closest people to Estonians, we even look slightly different. The genetically closest people to Estonians are 1. *Latvians 2. *Lithuanians 3. *NW-Russians 4. Finns

*** Latvians, Lithuanians and NW-Russians are practically Finnics who speak Indo-European languages, that's why they have lighter traits. For instance NW-Russians look more Northern-European than other Russians, because of the Finnic heritage. From a genetical viewpoint, NW-Russians are an intermediate between Finns and Estonians.

Last Online
    12-06-2019 @ 02:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Scottish
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 189

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post

I wonder why Nordland and Trøndelag is so much blonder than the rest of Norway?
    These maps are full of errors.
    Eupedia's newer map for light hair colour is better.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    scumbag
    Country
    England
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H11a
    Taxonomy
    North atlantid
    Hero
    Satan
    Religion
    without sin
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9,736
    Given: 8,694

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenna View Post
    The genetically closest people to Estonians are 1. *Latvians 2. *Lithuanians 3. *NW-Russians 4. Finns
    So Estonians are more similar to Batics and Russians than nordics.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
    So Estonians are more similar to Batics and Russians than nordics.
    In a genetical way, yes and I have to point out that it's only NW-Russians. What's your point?

Balts and NW-Russians are Finnics who have abandoned their Finnic/Nordic culture and are now culturally alien to us.

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364

0 Not allowed!

Who is closer to Finns from the Finnish perspective?

That was my point, I know that the Estonians are in the Baltic people's group genetically and racially to a large degree.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Country
    Faroes
    Taxonomy
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Who is closer to Finns from the Finnish perspective?
    Swedes and NW-Russians...

That was my point, I know that the Estonians are in the Baltic people's group genetically and racially to a large degree.
    No, Balts are in the Finnic people's group, genetically and racially to a large degree. There's a difference.

By some genetic researches, Latvians and Lithuanians have a lot of Finnic genes, even more than Estonians.

Saying that Estonians are in the Baltic people's group because of genetic similarities, is the same as saying that British people belong to the Australian and American people's group. Not Americans, Australians and New Zealanders belonging to the British group. If you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information