02-08-2015 @ 02:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,275
    Given: 1,534

2 Not allowed!

Default News of Cornwall

A thread dedicated to the Duchy of Cornwall and its people, the Cornish.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cornwall poor? It all depends how you look at the figures

Peter Gripaios examines the statistics which have brought Cornwall so much financial aid.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

Spoiler!
    Last edited by Ars Moriendi; 09-27-2014 at 03:42 AM.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Tory MP says "Cornish national Assembly would be a waste of money"

A Cornwall Conservative MP and minister has warned against calls for a Cornish Assembly, claiming it would be a “waste of money” to create “flash new parliament buildings and yet another tier of politicians”.

Speaking to the Western Morning News ahead of the start of the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham on Sunday George Eustice called for “English votes for English laws” amid the debate on devolution following the Scottish referendum.

But the MP for Camborne and Redruth, also a junior rural affairs minister, believes in sending all English legislation to an English grand committee at Westminster, rather than a new English Parliament or regional outposts.

Mr Eustice said: “It is totally indefensible that Scottish MPs should continue to vote on laws that do not affect their own constituents in any way.

“Tony Blair’s devolution plan in 1997 was typically half-baked and badly thought through. Following the no vote in Scotland we should now sort things out properly for the whole of the UK.

“That requires a new approach that makes clear that only English MPs should vote on laws that only apply in England.

“It is also an opportunity to consider giving more powers over issues like heritage and culture to Cornwall Council which I would support.

“However, we definitely do not need to waste money on flash new parliament buildings and yet another tier of politicians so I completely disagree with the idea of a Welsh style assembly in Cornwall.”

David Cameron signalled he wanted “English votes for English laws” following Scotland rejecting independence, which have variously led to calls for an English Parliament and powers devolved to the regions to control their own affairs.

Ed Miliband has criticised the Prime Minister’s rushed timetable but has faced pressure himself to address the West Lothian Question, where Scottish MPs vote for English-only laws. The reform would cripple Labour in Westminster, given its Scottish powerbase.

After the devolution result, Sarah Newton, Tory MP for Truro and Falmouth, said more decisions should be made in Cornwall but she questioned whether people need to support a Cornish Assembly “to be proudly Cornish”.

Cornish nationalist party Mebyon Kernow is fighting for the creation of a new elected body for Cornwall, and Liberal Democrat MPs also support the assembly. Labour is opposed to a new tier of local government in Cornwall.

This week, the leader of Cornwall Council dismissed a “contrived” political union with Devon and Somerset over “home rule” to the regions.

Councillor John Pollard has said he is “very concerned” that the debate over devolution following the Scottish referendum will lead to a tie-up with the neighbouring counties, and argues Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly is “a distinct region”.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

No 'home rule' for Cornwall under the Tories says William Hague

A Cornish Assembly would not be created under a Conservative government, despite the party's promises for English devolution.

The announcement was made by William Hague on the opening day of the Conservative Party Conference, where resignation, scandal and defection to UKIP overshadowed events for the Tories.

Mr Hague, chairing the committee examining plans for “English votes for English laws”, signalled “greater local autonomy” would not mean “new regional tiers of government” when speaking to journalists on the opening day of the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham.

The comments from the Yorkshire MP and leader of the House of Commons came as the Tories were facing a crisis caused by the defection of one MP to UKIP and a Conservative minister being forced to resign amid a sex scandal.

Mr Hague said the party was taking it “in their stride”. The double blow overshadowed Conservative pledges on lowering the cap on benefits by £3,000 to £23,000, and halting welfare for 18 to 21-year olds after six months. The savings would fund three million apprenticeships if they win the general election.

New powers promised to Scotland after rejecting independence led to calls for an English Parliament and regions being in greater control of their own affairs.

Cornish nationalists and the Liberal Democrats are demanding Welsh Assembly-style governance for Cornwall, but both Labour and the Tories locally are against the creation of more politicians.

Mr Hague chaired the first Cabinet Committee on Devolution last week with senior MPs from the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats attending.

Labour has criticised the haste at which the Government wants to tackle Scottish MPs voting on English-only matters, though critics have said they are more concerned about protecting their Westminster powerbase.

Mr Hague said district and county councils would not be torn up by his newly-formed devolution committee, and any more powers to the regions would take place within existing structures.

Asked by the Western Morning News whether a Cornish Assembly could be considered, Mr Hague said: “Ideas for greater local autonomy, we’re very much open to.

“New assemblies, new regional tiers of government, is not where we are heading. That would just bring increased cost and bureaucracy. I don’t think that’s the right direction to take the country in.”

He said “city deals” and the Localism Act was already increasing autonomy to some parts of local government and there will be “a good case for looking at that further”.

He told regional newspaper reporters at a briefing: “It is not just devolution within England, but devolution to England and how Westminster works to the whole of England.

“Nobody can defend any longer Scottish MPs voting on everything that happens in Norfolk, for instance, when the MPs for Norfolk can’t vote on everything happening in Scotland.”

Last week, the leader of Cornwall Council dismissed a “contrived” political union with Devon and Somerset.

Councillor John Pollard has said he is “very concerned” that the debate over devolution will lead to a tie-up with the neighbouring counties, and argues Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly is “a distinct region”.

Mr Hague, who is standing down after the general election, said the Government “certainly won’t be forcing regional government on anybody”.

He added: “I am not talking about more regional powers. It may well involve more powers at the local level for existing local authorities.”

Mr Hague also said an historic formula which sees each Scot get £2,000 more public cash per head than people living in the South West will become “less relevant” as Scotland gets more powers.

The criteria for the so-called “Barnett Formula” were set in the 1970s, but the three main party leaders agreed to stick by it.

But Mr Hague said: “As more powers are devolved to Scotland, including more tax raising powers, as is proposed – but the details have not been settled – the Barnett Formula will become less relevant. Scots will be raising a larger part of their own revenue.”

------------------

Following this statement, it would seem the Tories (along with Labour) consider Cornwall to be a mere region of England. Cornish interests are equated to those of any other county or city thoughout England.

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

News regarding the salaries in Cornwall:

--------------------------

Workers in Cornwall are paid £6,300 less than the national average
    http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Workers-...ail/story.html

Spoiler!

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

You really need a hobby.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMalus View Post
    We need friends. I have nothing but weights and MMA for 4 weeks until uni starts. And I cannot play more videogames or watch more anime, my brain will splode.
    Yup.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

For the first time in history, Cornwall will be represented indepedently in the next Commonwealth games

-------------------------------------------------

Cornwall could appear in next Commonwealth Games

Read more at http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Cornwall...yBZSjvuMFsP.99

Spoiler!

Banned
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

“All-singing, all-dancing” devolution talks will delay Cornwall "home rule", warns peer

Read more: http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

Spoiler!

Thread Information