Ukraine
    Taxonomy
    neo-danubian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default family tree and surname meaning

I need help to find my surname origin,my surname is voloshin(Волошин) I can not find the origin of this name,im was born in ukraine(in zhytomyr),my mother surname is garashchuk(Гаращук) and my father surname is voloshin(Волошин),in Ukraine told me that this surname is of Russian origin,but the little info I found said that derives from or is derived from the name Vladimir Volokh, name of the Romanian region of Wallachia,I need more information please! because I am doing my family tree, not knowing where that name comes I can not continue my research back in time,in addition not familiar with the Cyrillic and then I do not understand what I wrote there on Russian sites,and I would also like if someone could explain to me where I can go look on the internet to find records of births in Zhytomyr region.

Last Online
    06-20-2012 @ 10:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Taxonomy
    Alpine
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

0 Not allowed!

The best thing should be check army records or churches (the church near the location of your ancestors) they usually keep the deaths/marriages/births so they could help you.

Last Online
    12-03-2011 @ 11:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    human
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Flauron View Post
    I need help to find my surname origin,my surname is voloshin(Волошин) I can not find the origin of this name,im was born in ukraine(in zhytomyr),my mother surname is garashchuk(Гаращук) and my father surname is voloshin(Волошин),in Ukraine told me that this surname is of Russian origin,but the little info I found said that derives from or is derived from the name Vladimir Volokh, name of the Romanian region of Wallachia,I need more information please!
    'волох' means 'Vlach' in Russian, doesn't it? I think that's the root of your last name, though I am unsure. It could also be related to slavic 'вол' ('ox').

Anyway, I found this link:
    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Волох

If I'm not mistaken, the text says that the original form was 'Волхвы' ('Mages').

Last Online
    02-20-2024 @ 04:06 PM
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Country
    Russia
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 65

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Flauron View Post
    I need help to find my surname origin,my surname is voloshin(Âîëîøèí) I can not find the origin of this name,im was born in ukraine(in zhytomyr),my mother surname is garashchuk(Ãàðàùóê) and my father surname is voloshin(Âîëîøèí),in Ukraine told me that this surname is of Russian origin,but the little info I found said that derives from or is derived from the name Vladimir Volokh, name of the Romanian region of Wallachia,I need more information please! because I am doing my family tree, not knowing where that name comes I can not continue my research back in time,in addition not familiar with the Cyrillic and then I do not understand what I wrote there on Russian sites,and I would also like if someone could explain to me where I can go look on the internet to find records of births in Zhytomyr region.
    More likely your surname is derived from 'volokh' which meant everyone of Romanian/Moldavian origin in old times. So it's very plausible that one of your distant ancestors came from territory of Romania, but it would be very difficult to track down the first bearer of this surname in your family, cause it probably originated back in about the 16th century or something like that. It sounds Russian by the way, all endings '-in' point out on Russian side, but it could be just Russified Ukrainian Voloshenko as well.
    Have you ever heard of the well-known Russian poet Maximilian Voloshin? Who knows, your blood relative maybe.

Last Online
    07-19-2010 @ 12:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    slavic
    Country
    Ukraine
    Taxonomy
    neo-danubian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    More likely your surname is derived from 'volokh' which meant everyone of Romanian/Moldavian origin in old times. So it's very plausible that one of your distant ancestors came from territory of Romania, but it would be very difficult to track down the first bearer of this surname in your family, cause it probably originated back in about the 16th century or something like that. It sounds Russian by the way, all endings '-in' point out on Russian side, but it could be just Russified Ukrainian Voloshenko as well.
    Have you ever heard of the well-known Russian poet Maximilian Voloshin? Who knows, your blood relative maybe.
    I know the great poet Maximilian Voloshin,I read that was born in Kiev,and they told me that from my father I have relatives in Kiev ,I tried to find relatives of the poet, but I have not found anything.
    I noticed that in Greece there is a town called Volos,may be some correlation?
    Last edited by Flauron; 03-23-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

Only know "Volos" (волос) mean hair in Russian. Most likely, the name of the Greek town is a coincidence.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Last Online
    07-19-2010 @ 12:16 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    slavic
    Country
    Ukraine
    Taxonomy
    neo-danubian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tabiti View Post
    Only know "Volos" (волос) mean hair in Russian. Most likely, the name of the Greek town is a coincidence.
    "Vólos is also the name of a Greek city that was the site of ancient Iolcos, inhabited since the beginning of the Bronze Age (c. 2500 BC) and capital of Mycenaean Thessaly while Veles is a name of a city in FYR of Macedonia. Both these cities derive their name from the Vlach communities which are present even today (the Aromanians).The Romanian population from Romania, Moldova and, as smaller groups, from the Balkan Peninsula, south and west of the Danube River, were named by their Slav neighbours as Volokh. From this name were derived the terms Vlach or Walach together with the name of the country called Valachia or Wallachia, named in Romanian “Tara Romaneasca” and bordered on the north and northeast by the Carpathian mountains, on the west, south, and east by the Danube river, and on the northeast by the Siret river." original text
    perhaps not a coincidence.

Thread Information