Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Serbs just Orthodox Bosnians?

Last Online
    10-09-2016 @ 04:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 139

0 Not allowed!

Bosniaks originated from the Croatian tribes, the forming of an ethnicity of our own being completed by somewhere in the 11th century. Whist I do believe that Bosnian Serbs in Northern Bosnia are quite propably Bosniaks, Serbs in Serbia, all tho being related to us as a fellow yugoslav people, are not Bosniaks, neither are Bosniaks Serbs, simple as that.

Last Online
    01-30-2021 @ 01:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,131
    Given: 4,234

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
    Bosniaks originated from the Croatian tribes, the forming of an ethnicity of our own being completed by somewhere in the 11th century. Whist I do believe that Bosnian Serbs in Northern Bosnia are quite propably Bosniaks, Serbs in Serbia, all tho being related to us as a fellow yugoslav people, are not Bosniaks, neither are Bosniaks Serbs, simple as that.
    lolwut? There were two Croatian tribes; Croats and White Croats. No one knows where the majority of Bosniaks originated from. All people know is that Bosniaks are descended from Slavs. Some converted to Islam who were previously Catholics in Croatia, BiH, Hungary, and Germany. Some converted from Orthodoxy from Montenegro Serbia, and BiH. One thing I do know is that in the Balkans the Slavs that inhabited modern-day Bosnia were the last to get rid of their pagan beliefs and adopt Christianity. Ethnicities like 'Croat' or 'Serb' did not exist back then but the tribes existed and pretty much anyone could join these tribes.

To answer the OP: Serbs in Bosnia were technically Orthodox Bosnians and still are. Whether they came from Bosniaks or not I do not know. However, the war in the 90's spawned some Bosniak orphan babies who were adopted by Serbs and brought up to believe that they were Serbs. This wasn't on purpose in most cases since they didn't know the ethnicity of the child and so just assumed they were Serbs.

Last Online
    10-09-2016 @ 04:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Yugoslav
    Country
    Bosnia
    Region
    Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 384
    Given: 139

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Methmatician View Post
    lolwut? There were two Croatian tribes; Croats and White Croats. No one knows where the majority of Bosniaks originated from. All people know is that Bosniaks are descended from Slavs. Some converted to Islam who were previously Catholics in Croatia, BiH, Hungary, and Germany. Some converted from Orthodoxy from Montenegro Serbia, and BiH. One thing I do know is that in the Balkans the Slavs that inhabited modern-day Bosnia were the last to get rid of their pagan beliefs and adopt Christianity. Ethnicities like 'Croat' or 'Serb' did not exist back then but the tribes existed and pretty much anyone could join these tribes.

To answer the OP: Serbs in Bosnia were technically Orthodox Bosnians and still are. Whether they came from Bosniaks or not I do not know. However, the war in the 90's spawned some Bosniak orphan babies who were adopted by Serbs and brought up to believe that they were Serbs. This wasn't on purpose in most cases since they didn't know the ethnicity of the child and so just assumed they were Serbs.
    Then to correct myself: Bosniaks came with or as a part of the Croatian tribes before settling what is today Bosnia and Herzegovina

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Then to correct myself: Bosniaks came with or as a part of the Croatian tribes before settling what is today Bosnia and Herzegovina
    That's also incorrect. The Slavs moved into the Balkans in multiple waves. There is no record that the ancestors of Bosniaks came along with the Croat tribes or that they were part of the Croat tribes. The demographic distribution in the ex-Yu area has changed dramatically since the arrival of the Slavs meaning that where certain communities once were, their ancestors are no longer living there but somewhere else. This isn't correct everywhere but.

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipėri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

1 Not allowed!

I believe Bosniaks are indeed the last tribe to accept Christianity, which got replaced with Islam... This tells you that the Bosniak people always had a mentality, also a religious one different from its two main neighbours.

As for Bosnian Serbs, I believe that they are what they are, Serbs that happen to be native to Bosnia, just like Croats. The only other Bosniaks on the Balkans would be the Sandzaklije, which have Bosniak heritage.

Hey, I wonder, the kids you said that were adopted, is there any knowledge of their past or are they completely assimilated by now? This would be quite an interesting case, Muslim Bosniaks raised as Christian Serbs.

Last Online
    03-08-2017 @ 12:18 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dinaric
    Country
    Serbia
    Region
    Mississippi
    Politics
    Conservative/Classical Liberal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,199
    Given: 1,401

0 Not allowed!

If Bosniaks came with Croats wouldn't they be a part of early Croatian medieval state? As far as I know, the biggest portion of modern BiH, before Bosnia became a state was part of Serbian state. We are talking about 8-10 century period.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbėrori View Post
    Hey, I wonder, the kids you said that were adopted, is there any knowledge of their past or are they completely assimilated by now? This would be quite an interesting case, Muslim Bosniaks raised as Christian Serbs.
    Most probably don't know about their origins. There was a case though a few years ago where a women in Serbia found out she was in fact a Bosniak who was adopted by Serbs. Here's an article about it in English, and here's one in Serbo-Croatian.

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipėri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Methmatician View Post
    Most probably don't know about their origins. There was a case though a few years ago where a women in Serbia found out she was in fact a Bosniak who was adopted by Serbs. Here's an article about it in English, and here's one in Serbo-Croatian.
    Bless her parents for raising her, but what a horrible life she has had to endure. R.I.P to all the victims of the last war...

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Country
    Great Britain
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbėrori View Post
    Bless her parents for raising her, but what a horrible life she has had to endure. R.I.P to all the victims of the last war...
    She's in a really tough position. I don't know what happened afterwards but when the story came out she was left contemplating whether to stay a Serb or start calling herself a Bosniak. If she calls herself a Bosniak she will be seen as a traitor by Serbs and if she calls herself a Serb she will be seen as a traitor by Bosniaks.

Halo
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-19-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Avar
    Ethnicity
    Avar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Region
    Isle of Man
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,084
    Given: 223

1 Not allowed!

How about you provide some facts and evidence, instead of what Ante Pavelic tought you
    There is no mention of Croats in area of Bosnia as natives.

Quote Originally Posted by Minesweeper View Post
    If Bosniaks came with Croats wouldn't they be a part of early Croatian medieval state? As far as I know, the biggest portion of modern BiH, before Bosnia became a state was part of Serbian state. We are talking about 8-10 century period.
    Bosnia was never a part of Serb state, except in a 17 years period from 943-960
    Never again has a part of Bosnia been in Serbia.
    Now provide some evidence to support your claim, instead of following Deretic
    Hi everyone!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information