Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Weird. Up until high school when I was still there you were supposed to bring a form home to get a parent's signature to let you go on the school trip. You couldn't just go without parental permission. Is that no longer around? To me its rather stupid. Not allowing your kid to go on a school trip is not a grounds for going to court.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YggsVinr View Post
    Weird. Up until high school when I was still there you were supposed to bring a form home to get a parent's signature to let you go on the school trip. You couldn't just go without parental permission. Is that no longer around? To me its rather stupid. Not allowing your kid to go on a school trip is not a grounds for going to court.
    Yep, it is still the policy in Ontario YV, but note that this event occurred in Gatineau. So I have no idea what policies might be there though I suspect they wouldn't be much different than ours in the end. A parent is still in charge of a minor no matter where in Canada that they live, I would assume.

But I agree with you, not grounds for going to court...all of it just shows me how family members can't communicate very well anymore and the invasion of the third party into matters where family should rule. I still think that the father's decision was excessive; it wouldn't have been my personal choice. But to each his/her own in these matters.

Cheers for now!...Aemma

A Wanderer Through Middle Earth YggsVinr's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-20-2012 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aemma View Post
    Yep, it is still the policy in Ontario YV, but note that this event occurred in Gatineau. So I have no idea what policies might be there though I suspect they wouldn't be much different than ours in the end. A parent is still in charge of a minor no matter where in Canada that they live, I would assume.

But I agree with you, not grounds for going to court...all of it just shows me how family members can't communicate very well anymore and the invasion of the third party into matters where family should rule. I still think that the father's decision was excessive; it wouldn't have been my personal choice. But to each his/her own in these matters.

Cheers for now!...Aemma
    Indeed, perhaps it was excessive but I think every parent is guilty of that at some point during their child's life. Like everyone, they, too, overreact due to other sources of stress etc. I, too, can't see it being much different in Québec as far as the right of the parent. Of course, there are special cases involving physical abuse and extreme negligence toward young children, but this case is just another reflection of how society tends to swing from one extreme to the other without being able to maintain a rational middle ground.
    Last edited by YggsVinr; 01-16-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos galore today, it seems

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information