Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The most difficult book you've ever read?

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Non-fiction: probably a toss up between Heidegger's Being and Time and Whitehead's Process and Reality.

Fiction: either Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow or Joyce's Ulysses.

Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 04:18 PM
    Politics
    Felinocracy
    Religion
    I dye my hair black
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25

0 Not allowed!

As a child, I found "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman to be very difficult.
    Same with "Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch" by Ende, and I have no idea what the book is called in English tbh. The title is a blend of Satan, Anarchie, Archäologie, Lüge, genial, Alkohol and höllisch and it's about a punch that makes wishes come true. I know, lol.
    Later, I've found Heinlen's "Stranger in a Strange Land" to be enthralling, but confusing.
    "Focault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco, "The Sound and the Fury" by Faulkner and "One Hundred Years Of Solitude" by Garcia Marquez.
    And agreeing with Psychonaut here, certainly "Sein und Zeit" is a book to be taken in small doses ;/
    What I read in school I don't find particularly difficult, although I'm told most people do (perhaps Fluid Dynamics and maybe Statistics too). Then again if I didn't have a good grasp of these subjects I would've not chosen this career path.

"Bowie could appear on TV, denounce mass immigration, propose a return to 'blood and soil',
    then lead us in a national rendition of Magic Dance to bring us all together"

Banned Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European-style American
    Ethnicity
    California dreaming
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, I abdandoned, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, abdandoned, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (damn him into a fiery pit of hell for his deliberate ommission of punctuation! ) abdandoned. There's quite a few more......

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Frigga View Post
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, I abdandoned, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, abdandoned, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy (damn him into a fiery pit of hell for his deliberate ommission of punctuation! ) abdandoned. There's quite a few more......
    I've read a short version of Les Miserables for school in 5th grade. It wasn't the easiest reading especially for 11 year old.
    First time I abandoned Name of the Rose (when I was 17) but before 1-2 years started reading it again, finished it and really liked it. Now this is one of my favorite books.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Last Online
    04-18-2013 @ 07:13 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic-Celtic
    Ethnicity
    German-English-Scottish
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Oklahoma
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

0 Not allowed!

Mein Kampf-I don't know whether or not it was due to a bad translation or what but it was like listening to a 3 year old child detail his day at Grandmas.
    Don't get me wrong,the book had it's good points,which where dutifully noted.
    But honestly most of the book was nothing but inconsistent ramblings.

Last Online
    09-05-2023 @ 02:24 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Alpha Female
    Ethnicity
    Onogondur Bulgarian
    Ancestry
    They drank from skulls...
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Taxonomy
    Pontisch
    Politics
    gynecocracy
    Religion
    The Sun/ The Moon/ The Stars
    Relationship Status
    Not your future girlfriend
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 4

0 Not allowed!

Mein Kampf, I've read only the first chapter. First, it wasn't so "shocking" and "interesting", second it was an e-book variant. I can't read from the monitor.
    “The truth is lived, not taught."
    Tabiti is just a paranoid Bulgarian who clearly has an agenda
    Void aka Dusan

Lustrando. En paciente espera.
    Last Online
    10-11-2011 @ 01:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtíbero con sazón Visigoda Toledana
    Ethnicity
    Castellano y Espańol.
    Ancestry
    Cristianos Viejos Ranciosos.
    Country
    Spain
    Region
    Castilla
    Religion
    La Sangre.
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

0 Not allowed!

I had difficulties with this one finding the main trama, the great number of main characters makes the reading complex as well as the complexes relations between them... having some relation with cabalistic numbers found everywhere in the book.
    Spoiler!
    Antes de subir al cadalso, Juan de Padilla se dirigió a su camarada Juan Bravo con unas célebres palabras: "Seńor Bravo: ayer era día de pelear como caballero...hoy es día de morir como cristiano". Ante esto, Juan Bravo pidió ser ejecutado antes que Padilla, "…para no ver la muerte de tan buen caballero". Horas más tarde, también fue ejecutado y decapitado el salmantino Francisco Maldonado.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Originally Posted by Tabiti
    Mein Kampf, I've read only the first chapter.
    I found Mein Kampf generally dull rather than difficult….

If you stick with the math Roger Penrose’s The Road to Reality is a real headache.

Nietzsche is difficult from the point of view that he is often misleading and likes to play tricks with you; sometimes I don’t know when he is tongue in cheek….

Kant can put a man to sleep, I not long ago finished The Critique of Pure Reason, the man is not a writer. Hume is probably worse, gods I don’t think I got past page five with Hume’s A Treatise of Human Nature. For some reason I bought Adam Smith's The Wealth of Nations, ZZZZzzzzzz

Heathen Gods in Old English Literature by Richard North is mind numbingly pedantic at points, true it is an academic work but still….

As for fiction whilst I love it dearly I have always found Lord of the Rings to be tedious in places and shallow in character, I can understand why people don’t finish it. When you compare it to The Children of Hurin or The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun it seems a different author all together.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman whilst not difficult to follow you do feel you have missed some of it somewhere along the line, the style takes some getting used to.
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Liffrea View Post

American Gods by Neil Gaiman whilst not difficult to follow you do feel you have missed some of it somewhere along the line, the style takes some getting used to.
    Good effort by Gaiman, but still deeply flawed. It could have done with some heavy editing, or alternatively Gaiman should have put a lot more effort into it and made into a broader, deeper work, perhaps a series. As it is it seems to fall somewhere in the middle.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Aequoreus View Post
    The Holy Bible.
    LOL As Eldritch said, no surprise here from you Eoin. The version being read can certainly offer its challenges. The King James version of the Bible, challenging in its right with its flowery language, is much more enjoyable to read as a work of literature than is anything else put out there at this moment though. The one saving grace is that most of us are quite familiar with the various plot lines already.

And Oghren, yes Teilhard de Chardin! I tried reading The Phenomenon of Man yonks ago and just couldn't get into it! I should give it a try again...some day.

One of the most difficult books was The Mayor of Casterbridge in high school. I would probably enjoy re-reading it today and get much more from it now than I ever did back then. But oh my gods, this incredibly descriptive narrative didn't seem to want to end!! Absolutely painful to read when you're an impatient 14 year old Canadian girl with better things to do than read about the English countryside!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information