Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Methylphenidate (Ritalin) or Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine)?

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Pan-Germania and Spanish Gypsies (Gitanos)
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Co-operative Economics, Direct Democracy
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,469
    Given: 8,126

0 Not allowed!

Default Methylphenidate (Ritalin) or Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine)?

Which medicine would be best for Attention Deficit Disorder with Asperger's Syndrome?

I have to look into this, because I am going to see a consultant about it next week.

From what I have heard, dextroamphetamine has fewer side-effects and tends to facilitate, what for Asperger's folks is like the Holy Grail: multi-tasking.

On the other hand, Ritalin or methylphenidate is more helpful in encouraging single-pointed focus, for (possibly) boring tasks, but seems to be more noticeable, physically, with jittery side-effects.

Has anyone tried both? What were the effects, and how would you compare them?

Also, what about atomoxetine? The clinic I am attending also prescribes this.

I know that the forum has many members with ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome.

Last Online
    12-31-2014 @ 04:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French
    Politics
    Symbiosis
    Religion
    Personal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Well here's the thing, any attention disorder is labeled ADD, because focus is merely defined as the ability to keep focus on one thing. Attention Defecit Disorder is like living life through a telescope, you only see that one small section of reality, and if you move the telescope ever so slightly, you've lost your target and are now on something else. Attention Surplus Disorder (not a real term, but it should be), is like living life through a funnel; everything around you, from all senses, just pours in unstoppably.

These two thing are completely opposite ends of a spectrum, but psychiatrists, who have no first hand experience with either, will prescribe the same medication for both. Think about which side of the spectrum you are on. From what you say, I imagine Dexamph would work better for ADD, and Ritalin would work better for ASD.
    Me: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ym...QU7rnlw/videos
    Embedding Attachments: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/att...?attachmentid=
    I'll make your poems into songs
    Number of times this site has crashed my browser (as of 10/16/2014): 8

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

How about prison?

Last Online
    12-31-2014 @ 04:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French
    Politics
    Symbiosis
    Religion
    Personal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,151
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SvenDC View Post
    How about prison?
    Wheelbarrel, steak tips, salamander.

See, I can say random things without context too.
    Me: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1ym...QU7rnlw/videos
    Embedding Attachments: http://www.theapricity.com/forum/att...?attachmentid=
    I'll make your poems into songs
    Number of times this site has crashed my browser (as of 10/16/2014): 8

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Well here's the thing, any attention disorder is labeled ADD, because focus is merely defined as the ability to keep focus on one thing. Attention Deficit Disorder is like living life through a telescope, you only see that one small section of reality, and if you move the telescope ever so slightly, you've lost your target and are now on something else. Attention Surplus Disorder (not a real term, but it should be), is like living life through a funnel; everything around you, from all senses, just pours in unstoppably.

These two thing are completely opposite ends of a spectrum, but psychiatrists, who have no first hand experience with either, will prescribe the same medication for both. Think about which side of the spectrum you are on. From what you say, I imagine Dexamph would work better for ADD, and Ritalin would work better for ASD.
    I have both, with Asperger's Syndrome, in my case, sounding rather like your newly-coined disorder, Attention Surplus, so I will try to try both before making a final decision. It might be that a lower dose of each would be best. Having serendipitously tried dextroamphetamine, observing my mind clear, and then suddenly finding myself spurred into action, attentive conversation and multi-tasking, I am already convinced that stimulant medicine will make a big difference. Of course, dextroamphetamine produces this result in most people, but the extent to which I calmed down and was able to prioritise what was most important was extraordinary for me, and quite out of character.

The only other times in my life that I have managed to achieve that level of focus was when I was rising at 3am, meditating, and being fanatical about health and fitness. Of course, I would like to do that today, but I found that social relations were compromised, as I could not tolerate any distractions from other people, whom I came to view as negative distracting influences. I was also demanding silence at home, and focussing solely on following a strict optimum daily routine. Doing the latter is fine, and would probably be an ideal life for me, but making time for, and acknowledging other people, secondarily to oneself, is an important part of living, as is doing the boring daily chores and paperwork that tend to fall to procrastination.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,773
    Given: 1,799

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kale View Post
    Wheelbarrel, steak tips, salamander.

See, I can say random things without context too.
    It wasn't anything random.

If someone should be caught with any of these things in his pockets without the proper licensing,prison is straight where he is going.There isn't even going to be a court hearing.

Last Online
    09-10-2015 @ 10:03 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Norse, Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    European White, Belgian/Greek
    Ancestry
    Belgium, Germany, Scandinavia, Greece
    Country
    Belgium
    Region
    Brussels
    Politics
    Honorable Imperialism
    Religion
    Anti-religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 333

0 Not allowed!

Amphetamine is poison. If possible, you should avoid drugs. Maybe you are just bored by your daily occupations.

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XUTERO View Post
    Amphetamine is poison. If possible, you should avoid drugs. Maybe you are just bored by your daily occupations.
    I will leave it to the experts to decide exactly what and how bad my problems are, but actually, life and everything is very interesting to me, I just have terrible trouble concentrating on, and prioritising, normal everyday tasks.

It is very sad, really. I received this diagnosis when I was eleven and on the strength of an IQ test, (this will make me sound like melonhead, but never mind...) I was elevated two years to take the school exams that I would have taken at sixteen at fourteen instead. In fact, I took a few of those exams when I was thirteen. I achieved average grades. Then, it took five years of retakes to finish the exams that one takes for entrance to university. At university, I could neither concentrate nor focus on my work to any reasonable level, and I failed just about everything except linguistics.

Another experience: I had work experience for a local newspaper. Turning press releases into articles was very simple hack-work, and I could do it within minutes, but the noise of the open-plan office necessitated that I shouted what I was writing above the din, in order to "hear myself think". Along with that, the stress brought on by the human cacophony led me to twist and squirm in my seat, and stretch and flail about like an octopus. This is typical of persons with an ADHD diagnosis, and I was asked to leave the office for being too noisy.

My feeling on being medicated for this condition has been: I happen to be different, why should I have to take medication just to fit in with everyone else? I do not want to take psychiatric drugs for life, they are all poisons. But what has happened?

Now, at thirty-five, having not worked for over ten years, and having numerous wasted talents in music, writing, art and etc., and not being able to manage my own affairs, despite being pensioned off like TheBrownBear/Gigolo, I am rather feeling that I might try anything to be able to do so. At least, I would like to have the concentration to manage my home life, but, hopefully, I might like to do more. The grey cells still work, I just cannot concentrate well enough to be competitive.

Most medicines are poisonous, but I have tried everything that I know to try already, and latterly, my solution was this: stay out of company, shut the shutters, shun work, shun company, and lastly, when the ennui strikes, use recreational drugs to cope with the feelings of guilt, shame and wasted years. I do not want to live like that anymore.

My heroin habit was £80 daily prior to my last self-detox, and do not misunderstand me; I was quite satiated. Lying in bed without a care in the world for months on end is a perfectly pleasant way to spend time, but I have adult responsibilities, just like everyone else, and all of that had to be paid for. I would see it as a particularly terrible waste of money and time, if all that could have been circumvented by a simple prescription for a pre-existing diagnosis. Also, heroin was a great way to keep people out of my life. Untreated ADHD has been shown to raise the risk of substance abuse disorders. That ADHD can be treated with potential drugs of abuse is irrelevant. In the US, even methamphetamine is employed to treat this condition; brand name "Desoxyn". What matters is that these medicines have a seventy per-cent success rate, so I am trying to determine which medicine will have the best results with the fewest side-effects.

The world is not going to change itself for me, and I am not in a position to hire a team of twenty people to help me organise myself so...
    Last edited by Fortis in Arduis; 11-04-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Last Online
    09-10-2015 @ 10:03 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic, Germanic, Norse, Hellenic
    Ethnicity
    European White, Belgian/Greek
    Ancestry
    Belgium, Germany, Scandinavia, Greece
    Country
    Belgium
    Region
    Brussels
    Politics
    Honorable Imperialism
    Religion
    Anti-religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 333

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Fortis in Arduis View Post
    I will leave it to the experts to decide exactly what and how bad my problems are, but actually, life and everything is very interesting to me, I just have terrible trouble concentrating on, and prioritising, normal everyday tasks.

It is very sad, really. I received this diagnosis when I was eleven and on the strength of an IQ test, (this will make me sound like melonhead, but never mind...) I was elevated two years to take the school exams that I would have taken at sixteen at fourteen instead. In fact, I took a few of those exams when I was thirteen. I achieved average grades. Then, it took five years of retakes to finish the exams that one takes for entrance to university. At university, I could neither concentrate nor focus on my work to any reasonable level, and I failed just about everything except linguistics.

Another experience: I had work experience for a local newspaper. Turning press releases into articles was very simple hack-work, and I could do it within minutes, but the noise of the open-plan office necessitated that I shouted what I was writing above the din, in order to "hear myself think". Along with that, the stress brought on by the human cacophony led me to twist and squirm in my seat, and stretch and flail about like an octopus. This is typical of persons with an ADHD diagnosis, and I was asked to leave the office for being too noisy.

My feeling on being medicated for this condition has been: I happen to be different, why should I have to take medication just to fit in with everyone else? I do not want to take psychiatric drugs for life, they are all poisons. But what has happened?

Now, at thirty-five, having not worked for over ten years, and having numerous wasted talents in music, writing, art and etc., and not being able to manage my own affairs, despite being pensioned off like TheBrownBear/Gigolo, I am rather feeling that I might try anything to be able to do so. At least, I would like to have the concentration to manage my home life, but, hopefully, I might like to do more. The grey cells still work, I just cannot concentrate well enough to be competitive.

Most medicines are poisonous, but I have tried everything that I know to try already, and latterly, my solution was this: stay out of company, shut the shutters, shun work, shun company, and lastly, when the ennui strikes, use recreational drugs to cope with the feelings of guilt, shame and wasted years. I do not want to live like that anymore.

My heroin habit was £80 daily prior to my last self-detox, and do not misunderstand me; I was quite satiated. Lying in bed without a care in the world for months on end is a perfectly pleasant way to spend time, but I have adult responsibilities, just like everyone else, and all of that had to be paid for. I would see it as a particularly terrible waste of money and time, if all that could have been circumvented by a simple prescription for a pre-existing diagnosis. Also, heroin was a great way to keep people out of my life. Untreated ADHD has been shown to raise the risk of substance abuse disorders. That ADHD can be treated with potential drugs of abuse is irrelevant. In the US, even methamphetamine is employed to treat this condition; brand name "Desoxyn". What matters is that these medicines have a seventy per-cent success rate, so I am trying to determine which medicine will have the best results with the fewest side-effects.

The world is not going to change itself for me, and I am not in a position to hire a team of twenty people to help me organise myself so...

I see...

You too were bounded by the world of drugs and feel the extreme lassitude of normal, stressful life.
    How long has it been since you stopped heroin?

Benevolent Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Country
    England
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    sub-nordic
    Politics
    Hero
    The Absolute
    Religion
    Advaita Vedānta
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XUTERO View Post
    I see...

You too were bounded by the world of drugs and feel the extreme lassitude of normal, stressful life.
    Rather, compounded by the isolating tedium of mild autism, ADHD, and zero employment prospects, I was driven to drink and beyond.

How long has it been since you stopped heroin?
    Over a month now, and honestly, nothing in my life is any better than it was before, apart from my expenses. The withdrawals are very miserable for about three days, then, after about a week, it is all over, but I still live like an iguana.

I will procure a prescription for one of the above, which, if it works, will be titrated up to the optimum dose. I suspect that, as of this coming Friday, my life will change dramatically, and that I will probably not be posting here quite so much as I have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information