Ethnicity
    Religion
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tolleson View Post
    Maybe for some of the flock!
    A more appropriate word would be 'community'.

Veteran Member Lulletje Rozewater's Avatar
    Last Online
    07-24-2011 @ 10:05 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/French
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Holland/France/Germany
    Country
    Netherlands
    Region
    Prussia
    Politics
    to preserve whiteness
    Religion
    none
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    A more appropriate word would be 'community'.
    Or the Dutch style L.A.T.

I admire those who fight for a cause and despise those who cause fights.

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.

Last Online
    07-28-2017 @ 01:37 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Country
    United States
    Politics
    OxiClean
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

0 Not allowed!

But, it's just sex? I am not being all that serious about it.

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

If I may?

One could suppose that I am a serial monogamist; having had one heterosexual pairing at a time.

However, I was a virgin (as was my [now] wife) until we bonded during college.

I had a few girlfriends before Anita, but she is the only person with whom I have ever been physically intimate.

When a nicely put together woman of my acquaintance" put the moves on me," awhile ago, I demurred.

My rejoinder is (then and always) that while I love all women, I am in love with, and make love to, only one.

The example I have from my family is that one finds a "soul-mate," and that is the ONE to whom you bond - to the exclusion of any other.

I think it works, and I do not believe I have lost anything thereby...
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Indo, you're-a-peein! The Khagan's Avatar
    Last Online
    12-29-2011 @ 03:29 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Ancestry
    The Coffin Ships
    Taxonomy
    Paleolithic
    Religion
    Absurd
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

0 Not allowed!

Monogamy works for some people, and for some others it doesn't. Simple as that.

Of course, there are gray areas in between and such, as is with all things usually.

Monogamy? Eh, I value the ideal of monogamy, but it's hard to not be so embittered and cynical about actually finding someone I could actually see myself with forever. I tire easily, when things get too predictable, I get wary. And vice versa on the girls end. I'm sure there were a few that tired of me easily

Not to mention my ridiculously high standards for em. Not superficially, that is, I'm really stringent and picky about personality, intellect, moral ground etc etc. At 19 it's pretty hard to find what you want, or for that matter KNOW what you want in the first place. But, it seems that the confusion continues from what I hear.

Who knows, we'll see. This ripe old age of 19 isn't exactly what one would call a wise age in this matter. For now, I'm happy with fooling around with a couple girls here and there. But, I fall very well short of a libertine or of even borderline promiscuity.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,949
    Given: 45,035

0 Not allowed!

There are lots of special people around who would make ideal partners as a monogamous couple. Actually meeting that special person is not so easy ... but one has a lifetime to find him/her.

Has anyone mentioned love in this thread yet? I believe in love. I believe if you truly love someone you would not want to be with anyone else ...
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Last Online
    01-03-2014 @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Irish-Scot
    Country
    Ireland
    Region
    Scotland
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 10

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    Yeah, I guess I could be considered a heretic in that aspect.
    Yes. You're just lucky you're not an ethnically Jewish, former Muslim who recently converted to Catholicism living in Madrid, because you would be so fucked otherwise .

Do note that I'm not talking about promiscuity here, but about long lasting relationships that eventually lead to marriage.
    It doesn't matter. Sex outside of marriage is a mortal sin. Whether it's with one person or one thousand.
    [Signature Pending]

Man, husband, cat keeper, brewer, cook, writer... Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    12-20-2023 @ 06:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Pan-European
    Ethnicity
    European American
    Ancestry
    US: Canada (Mohawk, Huron and Cree) Lithuania Belarus Ukraine Moldova Germany Denmark England Wales
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Maryland
    Y-DNA
    E1b1b1c1
    mtDNA
    H5
    Taxonomy
    Mediterranid between Atlantomediterranid and Gracilmediterranid with Cromagno-Alpinoid.
    Politics
    Now a center feather on the right shoulder, not on a wing, but being pushed there.
    Hero
    My Dad, Mom and Wife
    Religion
    American Heathen
    Relationship Status
    Married since June 1982
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 28

0 Not allowed!

Default Lifestyle? Love...

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    -snip-
    Has anyone mentioned love in this thread yet? I believe in love. I believe if you truly love someone you would not want to be with anyone else ...
    I'll bite. but there isn't a short answer

I first saw Anita just after lunch on 29 August 1977. We were both students at the military college in Vermont, USA.

I was a junior, the regimental medical sergeant...part of the cadet corps. Anita was a freshman, also in the corps.

It was the first day of "Rook Week," where the freshmen would receive the basics of military training to start them off before the rest of the student body arrived for classes.

As med sgt, I ran sick call at the infirmary, but was not to be directly involved with the freshmen or their training; wasn't even supposed to talk to them outside of official duties until they completed training, sometime in November.

My clerk and I were watching the "Rooks" march single file up the hill from the dining hall to their barracks area. The training cadre lining the path, yelling (of course) [it's really funny, then and now, to hear a 5' 2" sophomore corporal call a 6' freshman "Young Man!"], pulling rooks out of line and quizzing them on cadet lore, correcting uniform infractions and the like...typical break 'em down and build 'em up military training.

Well, John and I were scoping out the new female cadets, typical 20 year old comments flying between us on their obvious physical charms, or lack thereof.

Then Anita comes marching up the hill, expression like she had just bit the finger off some cadet corporal or sergeant and was waiting for someone else to pull her out of line so she could spit it in his (or her) face.

I turned to John, speechless for a moment..."John, that's the one I'm going to marry," as my finger followed her path.

She came to sick call for the first time later in the week and we struck up an acquaintance. She dated a couple of other guys before me, but I was willing to accept that, as she was happy. I offered friendship, which was accepted.

Finally, she said yes to me, oh, what a life changing moment. I still feel a tightness in my chest when I relive the memory.

Love, that's IS the key for me. I was smitten for Anita and continue to be.

I don't step outside the boundary of our relationship because I've never loved anyone like I do her.

The only times in my life I've ever been truly frightened are when I thought her life might be in danger (several cancer scares and one really bad infection from an abscessed ovarian cyst), not even the time when I was being shot at.

I can imagine life without her, but not willingly, and it has always been her choice. I love her enough to let her go, if that is what it would take to make her happy.

Luckily, I've been doing a good job of being what she needs since 2 February 1978. Our friends were surprised that we had not married during the summer before returning for the next school year.
    Last edited by Piparskeggr; 04-11-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typos
    - Stefn Piparskeggr Ullarskjaldberi

Dramedy occurs when serious and silly collide

mDNA H5 - yDNA E1b1b1c
    97.9% European, 1.6% Mohawk, 0.4% Cree, 0.1% Malian
    (also, 2.4 % Neanderthal and .6% Denisovan in there)

Last Online
    02-27-2012 @ 12:52 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Jute
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Politics
    Freegress
    Religion
    Potatoism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

(I quote Loki's post, but this post is directed just as much to others, including the above poster)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I believe if you truly love someone you would not want to be with anyone else ...
    Though why does love have to have "truth value"? To judge peoples loves as false love, true love, etc. Isn't love just a passion, and like all passions, can be betrayed by some other passion if it has sufficient strength? Nothing has infinite strength, and so can always be surpassed eventually by something external to it. The same is true with love - any love which is human, and not static.

Making love and sex exclusively bound together or even "ideally identical" in the first place seems a narrowing-down both of love and sexuality; and perhaps a confusion between them, no doubt made easier by the intensity of sexual experiences but still not justified by it; because there can be a love relationship which co-exists without sexual exclusivity.

And "love's" perpetuation or exclusivity may also not come out of the strength or "truth" of the love, but from the weakness and cowardice of the individual, which leads him to seek the security and (potentially) despicable comfort of "one safe relationship" to cling onto.

I know there are people who love each other, but do not live in a strict, or even at all monogamous relationship together.

Perhaps translating "love" into an exclusive, constant and maybe even permanent relationship, is a misunderstanding. A misunderstanding of love as a passion; turning a passion into some destiny and substantiality which it never was supposed to hold in the first place.

Whereas other factors and passions, like power and indeed possession itself, seem more capable of and appropriate as a sentiment with which to take another person into possession, because that is also what monogamous love does. Or at least tries to, even though monogamous "love" might hide the underlying power exchange involved behind the romantic veil of warm feelings. A veil which, if taken too seriously, might lead to unrealistic expections which then break the relatonship - as often happens, considering modern divorce rates and serial monogamy tendencies.
    Last edited by Lutiferre; 04-13-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    A man who fights for a cause thereby affirms the cause of the fight.

Last Online
    04-14-2011 @ 09:57 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Krauty
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lutiferre View Post
    Though why does love have to have "truth value"?
    Not to give your verbosity short shrift, but: love is our emotional reaction to the values and virtue we perceive in our self and in others. Sex can be an inimitable way of sharing the mutually incommunicable things two (or more--I suppose) people feel for each other, but it isn't restricted to that by any means.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread Information