Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How does Russian language sound to you?

Banned
    Last Online
    02-19-2020 @ 11:36 AM
    Ethnicity
    Proud citizen of Hungaristan
    Country
    Hungary
    Politics
    Pro-Circumcision, Gorid Nationalism
    Hero
    Ultra
    Religion
    Anti-Antimage
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,956
    Given: 9,127

0 Not allowed!

to hungarian speakers russian sounds a bit stupid at the beginning, but u can get used to it

Last Online
    01-05-2024 @ 08:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    White
    Country
    Portugal
    Hero
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 71

0 Not allowed!

It sounds like "kustrova snhyift vik nyeeet".

It has a funny elevated intonation sometimes, a lot of "uh" sounds and an hard R.

Banned
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 08:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo Saxon
    Country
    Canada
    Taxonomy
    Anglo Saxon
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 151

0 Not allowed!

I find Russian very attractive in a badass sort of way , it exudes toughness
    I particularely like the "R" sound in it , "KH" , "ZH" "YE" "YEE" ...etc
    a very beautiful language , exotic and special yet painfully difficult to learn

Last Online
    09-11-2015 @ 10:58 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    European (Italian)
    Ancestry
    North-Central Italian
    Country
    Italy
    Politics
    noise rocker
    Religion
    cynotheism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 43

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYNET View Post
    Centum–satem isogloss
    Slavic languages together with Armenian, Albanian, Baltic languages are closest to Indo-Iranian languages much more than to Celto-Germanic and Romance-Hellenic languages
    The centum/satem isogloss isn't considered especially relevant nowadays. It's clear enough that satemization was a relatively recent sound change that propagated in a wave-like fashion from the center of the IE-speaking area but didn't reach the Eastern- and Westernmost languages. Other, more important isoglosses cut through the centum-satem border. Greek for example is much more closely related to Indo-Iranian than to Italic.

Back on topic: to me Russian sounds just like... Russian - I mean, it's one of those foreign languages whose (stereotypical) sound one learns as a little child even if he doesn't actually speak a word of it, so it's a bit difficult to judge it with some detachment.
    Anyway, it is pleasant enough to my ears, probably more than other Slavic languages; neither too harsh nor too soft, vaguely menacing but in a sensual way.

Слава Путину! Я люблю Россию. Z
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 06:18 PM
    From Dorset, but live in the City of Westminster (Central London)
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    English, 1/8 Welsh, 1/16 Western Irish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Politics
    Russophile. Brexiteer. Avoidance of WW3 and Nuclear War. Anti NATO. Anti WEF. Against Russophobia.
    Hero
    President Putin (creator of a rising multipolar world.) Viktor Orbán, George Galloway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25,551
    Given: 27,895

0 Not allowed!

Men who speak with a Russian accent sounds nice.
    The Russian community in London have a lot of melody and tone in their accents. As for the Russian language, I like the sound of it too.
    Last edited by ♥ Lily ♥; 12-03-2014 at 06:49 AM.
    ❀♫ ღ ♬ ♪ And the angle of the sun changed it all. ❀¸.•*¨♥✿ 🎶

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,721
    Given: 43,625

0 Not allowed!

Sounds very beautiful and melodic to me, softer than other Slavic tounges. I am a big fan of Russian language

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Scharrenhans View Post
    The centum/satem isogloss isn't considered especially relevant nowadays. It's clear enough that satemization was a relatively recent sound change that propagated in a wave-like fashion from the center of the IE-speaking area but didn't reach the Eastern- and Westernmost languages. Other, more important isoglosses cut through the centum-satem border. Greek for example is much more closely related to Indo-Iranian than to Italic.

Back on topic: to me Russian sounds just like... Russian - I mean, it's one of those foreign languages whose (stereotypical) sound one learns as a little child even if he doesn't actually speak a word of it, so it's a bit difficult to judge it with some detachment.
    Anyway, it is pleasant enough to my ears, probably more than other Slavic languages; neither too harsh nor too soft, vaguely menacing but in a sensual way.
    That's completely bullcrap. Greek is not anywhere close to Iranic languages and is infinitely closer to Italian and German. The grammatic is almost identical, not to mention that thousands of Greek words that have entered your vocabulary. Being the oldest European language still in use, it influenced most of the other languages (English, Italian, Spanish...), especially for scientifical and medical terms. 30% of English vocabulary has Greek words. Phonetically many people confuse it with Latin languages (most commonly Spanish) due to the similar fast speed, exceeding use of vowels and the rolling of the r. Don't speak about things you obviously are clueless about.

The Centum/satem language divide isn't a recent change at all and is very much relevant today as it always have been. Stop making misinformed comments about other people's languages and do some rsearch before you write your ignorant comments. And for your information the distance Ancient Greek and modern Greek is shorter than is Midieval Englisn to modern English and much shorter than Latin is to modern Italian.

The tempora (and modi) of Latin and Greek are fairly similar, although in Latin the aorist and the perfect tense have merged into one tense whereas Ancient Greek retained both; (also the optative has merged into the subjunctive in Latin whereas Ancient Greek retained) - the rest of the tempora are the same, which appears to be a major difference to Germanic languages.

There are similarities in the case system, too. The genitive of the Greek a-declension (-as/-es) is the same as the old Latin genitive of that declension that can still be founds in the well-known pater familias. Also the long dative -o of the o-declension in both Latin and Greek goes back to the Indo-Germanic ending -oi; The nasal final in the accusative and the -os ending (at least Old Latin still had -os rather than -us) in the nominative also go back to the same root.

There are also corresponding consonants/ consonant clusters that you can notice; e.g. Greek p is usually qu (/kw/) in the Latin cognate: hippos - equus; hepomai - sequor; penta - quinque; Greek question pronouns usually start with p, Latin ones with qu

Those are just a few examples. The relationship of Latin and Greek had long been observed (even Varro noticed the similarities and described them in his book de lingua Latina). It was precisely the knowledge of this similarity/relationship and the comparison of those to other languages like Sanskrit and Old Persian that made Sir William Jones think of a common predecessor for all those languages in 1786 thus kind of starting off the branch of Indo-European studies
    Last edited by wvwvw; 12-05-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Ülev

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ Lily ♥ View Post
    Men who speak with a Russian accent sounds nice.
    The Russian community in London have a lot of melody and tone in their accents. As for the Russian language, I like the sound of it too.
    check it out
    Different Russia channel is about Russia, Moscow and nearby area (Fryazino town), she speaks English with "ze" Russian accent, and automatically generated YT translation feature mixes Russian with English when you turn that function on, lol

Last Online
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Mostly Euro Latin American
    Ethnicity
    Venezuelan Spanish
    Ancestry
    Mostly Spanish, some Italian, some Amerindian (6-7%), some minor SSA (4-5%)
    Country
    Spain
    Y-DNA
    J-M267
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Either Alpinized North Atlantid or Brunn
    Politics
    Right Nationalist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,480
    Given: 36,899

1 Not allowed!

Its sounding is very similar to Portuguese sounding.
    My Updated 23andme Results (2021)
    My Updated AncestryDNA Results (2022)
    My Global25 Coordinates (2020)
    An Epic Thread about me opened by Profield
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by aherne
    You don't pass in Europe. Amerindian admixture is evident (castizo or harnizo)...

Ülev

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by alnortedelsur View Post
    Its sounding is very similar to Portuguese sounding.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information