Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of R1a (what %) could there be in West Germany before WW2 ???

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20,924
    Given: 18,997

1 Not allowed!

Default How much of R1a (what %) could there be in West Germany before WW2 ???

On another forum I (Tomenable) had the following discussion:

And I think it deserves a thread on its own:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...l=1#post444923

I would love to see East and West Germans sampled separately, to see Slavic influence on East Germany.
    It would be also nice to distinguish between families which live in West Germany for many (e.g. 10+) generations and these which came recently.

For example in various lands of West Germany in year 1950 between ca. 5% and ca. 40% of people were recent eastern immigrants who came in 1944-1950.

Percent among the total population (by region), in 1950, of people who came to West Germany in 1944 - 1950 from eastern territories lost by Germany:

Schleswig-Holstein - 38,2%
    Lower Saxony - 32,6%
    Bavaria - 23,5%
    Hessen - 20,3%
    Wuerttemberg-Baden - 19,0%
    North Rhine-Westphalia - 12,9%
    City of Bremen - 12,4%
    Wuerttemberg-Hohenzollern - 11,4%
    City of Hamburg - 11,3%
    Baden - 9,4%
    Rheinland-Palatinate - 6,0%
    Saarland - percent not given (probably very small?)

Add to this also Polish migrations to West Germany during the 19th and the 20th centuries (during the 19th century chiefly to the Ruhr area in Westphalia).

As well as German east-to-west internal migrations during the 19th century (Ostflucht) and 1950-present (emigration from Communist and post-Communist Germany).

All in all, I am very certain that vast majority of R1a haplogroup in West Germany today, is only the product of recent (19th - 20th centuries) migrations.

When people carry out genetic research they wonder "which ancient tribe could possibly bring this here?", and completely neglect VERY RECENT migrations...

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:42 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Russian
    Ancestry
    NE Europe+Crusader
    Country
    Russia
    Y-DNA
    R1b1b2a1a
    mtDNA
    U5b1e
    Taxonomy
    Dalo-Faelid\Sub-Nordid
    Politics
    Phenotype positivity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,095
    Given: 10,128

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Litvin View Post
    On another forum I (Tomenable) had the following discussion:

And I think it deserves a thread on its own:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...l=1#post444923

It would be also nice to distinguish between families which live in West Germany for many (e.g. 10+) generations and these which came recently.

For example in various lands of West Germany in year 1950 between ca. 5% and ca. 40% of people were recent eastern immigrants who came in 1944-1950.

Percent among the total population (by region), in 1950, of people who came to West Germany in 1944 - 1950 from eastern territories lost by Germany:

Schleswig-Holstein - 38,2%
    Lower Saxony - 32,6%
    Bavaria - 23,5%
    Hessen - 20,3%
    Wuerttemberg-Baden - 19,0%
    North Rhine-Westphalia - 12,9%
    City of Bremen - 12,4%
    Wuerttemberg-Hohenzollern - 11,4%
    City of Hamburg - 11,3%
    Baden - 9,4%
    Rheinland-Palatinate - 6,0%
    Saarland - percent not given (probably very small?)

Add to this also Polish migrations to West Germany during the 19th and the 20th centuries (during the 19th century chiefly to the Ruhr area in Westphalia).

As well as German east-to-west internal migrations during the 19th century (Ostflucht) and 1950-present (emigration from Communist and post-Communist Germany).

All in all, I am very certain that vast majority of R1a haplogroup in West Germany today, is only the product of recent (19th - 20th centuries) migrations.

When people carry out genetic research they wonder "which ancient tribe could possibly bring this here?", and completely neglect VERY RECENT migrations...

If we will take the fact that R1a spread from some are in Eastern Europe as a dogma when the route of R1a to Scandinavia most likely gone trough East and North Germany, also counting that Germans have absorbed some Slavic and Baltic populations during the ethnogenesis than we can assume that R1a should be higher in Germany than in Scandinavia.

Eupedia gives 16% for Germany as whole and 22 and 24 for Northern and Eastern parts. R1a has frequency of 15% and 16% in Denmark and Sweden and 25,5% in Norway.

Counting all this 9% (according to Eupedia) for West Germany seems pretty logical without any additional influences from the East.

But anyway when people try to estimate the haplogroup frequences they try to test locals without immigration background, not some random people.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

16% of R1a in Germany is almost certainly too low (due to a not geographically representative sample, I guess). This chart indicates that R1a in Germany is closer to +/- 20% (but there are significant regional differences in frequency):

http://s30.postimg.org/dueaa5s8h/Mes...rn_Germans.png

Chart is from a recent (2014) publication:

Lazaridis et. al., "Ancient human genomes suggest three ancestral populations for present-day Europeans", September 2014:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture13673.html

If we will take the fact that R1a spread from some are in Eastern Europe as a dogma when the route of R1a to Scandinavia most likely gone trough East and North Germany, also counting that Germans have absorbed some Slavic and Baltic populations during the ethnogenesis than we can assume that R1a should be higher in Germany than in Scandinavia.
    By the same logic R1a should be higher in Ukraine and Belarus than in Poland, because Slavs came from the east. However, it is not the case - Poland has a higher percent of R1a than Ukraine-Belarus. Moreover - not all of Scandinavian R1a is "Germanic" (or Scandinavian) Z284. Some of Scandinavian R1a is Balto-Slavic.

On the other hand, in Germany Z284 is virtually absent, IIRC.
    Last edited by Peterski; 11-27-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

The main problem with Eupedia's data for Northern Germany is that it includes North-Western Germany. In North-Eastern Germany (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern) R1a is about 35% or even more (about 35% is in the city of Rostock, buy I think that among inhabitants of villages and smaller towns it should very likely be higher), more than in the North-West.

In the city of Leipzig (not that far from Sorbian-speaking enclaves and from Czech border) R1a is about 30%.

But in the Austrian city of Graz, located near the Slovenian border, it is between 40% and 45% (so higher than among actual ethnic Slovenes of Slovenia). Graz - Gradec in Slovene Slavic language - used to be one of fortified urban centres of the Early Medieval Slavic Principality of Carantania (Carinthia).

==============

Here is Eupedia's division of Germany:

"Our division of Germany was made this way: North Germany includes the Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony (+ Hamburg and Bremen) and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. West Germany is the Rhineland, Hesse and Saarland. South Germany is Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. East Germany is composed of Brandenburg, Berlin, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony and Thuringia."
    Last edited by Peterski; 11-27-2014 at 12:38 PM.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Counting all this 9% (according to Eupedia) for West Germany seems pretty logical without any additional influences from the East
    Nope - it seems pretty illogical to claim that Germans who came to West Germany from former German territories in the east (like regions of modern Poland - Pomerania, Prussia, Silesia - or the Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia, etc., etc.) did not have a much higher percent of R1a among them, than "original" West Germans. I have seen data from the Silesian German descendants DNA project and if I recall correctly Germans from Silesia had over 40% of R1a. There is also the East Prussian German DNA project and it shows also a very significant percent of R1a as well as N1c among descendants of those Germans.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-16-2023 @ 05:04 AM
    In a remote province of the Planet of the Apes...
    Meta-Ethnicity
    European
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,708
    Given: 8,357

0 Not allowed!

Where does the high R1A come from in Scandinavians?

Banned
    Last Online
    09-12-2016 @ 03:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Country
    Quebec
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,692
    Given: 734

0 Not allowed!

By the same logic R1a should be higher in Ukraine and Belarus than in Poland, because Slavs came from the east. However, it is not the case - Poland has a higher percent of R1a than Ukraine-Belarus.
    This is most up to date study on R1a in more than 100 countries by Underhill et al 2014. See table S4 : http://www.nature.com/ejhg/journal/v...hg201450x5.xls

Poland - 45.9%
    Belarus - 54.7%
    Ukraine between 43% - 49.7 depending on the region.
    Russia between 30% - 59.7% depending the region.

Veteran Member
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Polish
    Country
    Poland
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    W6a
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

All other studies I have seen say that there is more than 50% of R1a in Poland (usually 54-57%). Where did Underhill take his sample from? Because in some areas of Poland R1a is indeed below 1/2 - especially regions resettled largely by Poles from what is now Ukraine-Lithuania-Belarus after WW2 (local Germans were deported westward; and Poles deported from former Eastern Poland came).

I've seen studies of Polish HGs which take their samples from... one city! This method of taking samples can be only described as utter ignorance. I have also seen a study of autosomal DNA which took its Polish sample from... Szczecin! If you take samples from Szczecin, you are probably testing DNA of Lithuanian Poles!

Geneticists should have some knowledge on history of recent migrations.
    Last edited by Peterski; 11-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-12-2016 @ 03:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Country
    Quebec
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,692
    Given: 734

0 Not allowed!

All other studies I have seen say that there is more than 50% of R1a in Poland (usually 54-57%). Where did Underhill take his sample from ??? Because in some areas of Poland R1a is indeed below 1/2 - especially regions resettled largely by Poles from what is now Ukraine and Lithuania after WW2 (local Germans were deported westward; and Poles deported from former Eastern Poland came).

I have seen studies of Polish HGs which take their samples from... one city!

This method of taking samples can be only described as utter ignorance.
    Ignorance is not reading the article and not knowing that Underhill et al (30+ researchers) are current authorities on R1a haplogroup.

Sample for Polish population may had been taken from one of this studies, which are listed at the bottom of the table. Some samples are much larger in comparison to samples of several older studies I've seen.

Spoiler!

Johannes factotum
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    07-26-2023 @ 01:37 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Jewish
    Ethnicity
    440/512 Ashkenazi, 41/512 Sephardic, 31/512 Musta'arabi, minor English, Portuguese & Spanish
    Ancestry
    67% Middle Eastern Neolithic, 20% European Mesolithic, 10% Eurasian Invasion, 2% Siberian, 1% Africa
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Y-DNA
    E-FT333743
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a
    Taxonomy
    Atlanto-Med
    Politics
    Campanilismo
    Hero
    Bartolomé de las Casas
    Religion
    Awaiting the return of King Arthur
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37,278
    Given: 39,691

0 Not allowed!

It would have been higher in East Germany than West Germany anyway. Your premise is flawed.
    Who is rich? He who is happy with what he has - Simeon ben Zoma, Ethics of the Fathers, Talmud, Avot 4:1

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    I'll say this once and I don't expect you to ever have me fucking repeat this again.

Longbowman isn't just a member, he's a lifestyle.
    I live here. I also live here.

Europeans worldwide * Longbowman's family on 23andme * Classify Longbowman * Ask Longbowman anything

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information