Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Bisexual men sue gay group, claim bias

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...awsuit21m.html

Three bisexual men are suing a national gay-athletic organization, saying they were discriminated against during the Gay Softball World Series held in the Seattle area two years ago.

The three Bay Area men say the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance in essence deemed them not gay enough to participate in the series.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Seattle accuses the alliance of violating Washington state laws barring discrimination. The alliance organizes the annual Gay Softball World Series.

Beth Allen, the alliance's attorney, said the lawsuit is unwarranted and that the three plaintiffs "were not discriminated against in any unlawful manner."

In any case, Allen said, the alliance is a private organization and, as such, can determine its membership based on its goals.

Whether the alliance is public or private will likely have to be determined in court, since the plaintiffs characterize the alliance as a "public accommodation" that's open to the public and uses public softball fields.

The three plaintiffs — Steven Apilado, LaRon Charles and Jon Russ — played on a team called D2 that qualified for the 2008 Gay Softball World Series, which is organized by the alliance.

The alliance's rules say that each World Series team can have no more than two heterosexual players. According to the lawsuit, a competing team accused D2 of violating that rule.

Each of the three plaintiffs was called into a conference room in front of more than 25 people, and was asked "personal and intrusive questions" about his sexual attractions and desires, purportedly to determine if the player was heterosexual or gay, the lawsuit alleges. The alliance has no category or definition for bisexual or transgender people in its rules, the plaintiff's attorney said.

At one point during the proceedings, the lawsuit alleges, one of the plaintiffs was told: "This is the Gay World Series, not the Bisexual World Series."

The alliance ruled the three men were "nongay," stripped D2 of its second-place finish and recommended that the three players be suspended from participating in the World Series for a year, according to the suit.

The men are asking for $75,000 each for emotional distress. They're also seeking to invalidate the alliance's findings on the men's sexual orientations and to reinstate D2's second-place World Series finish.

"This case is just about treating everybody in the community equally ... and not interrogating folks about whether they're gay enough to play," said Melanie Rowen, an attorney for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which is representing the three men.

The men also are asking the court to toss out the alliance's rule limiting the number of straight players on each team.

Hypothetically, that could mean a team of all-straight people could form, but "it would be extremely unlikely for that to happen," Rowen said.

The alliance was formed in 1977 and now includes more than 680 teams in 37 leagues across the U.S. and Canada, according to its website.

Last Online
    11-05-2023 @ 04:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Brabant, Holland, Guelders and some Hainaut.
    Country
    Netherlands
    Politics
    Norway Deal-NEXIT, Dutch Realm Atlanticist, Habsburg Legitimist
    Religion
    Sedevacantist
    Relationship Status
    Engaged
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34,729
    Given: 61,129

0 Not allowed!

It's rather funny to see the same weapon used against those kind of organizations that were always dishing out such lawsuits against everyone else.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Last Online
    02-15-2011 @ 11:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    English
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England, mostly East Midlands.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Mercia
    Politics
    Life Affirmation
    Religion
    Life Affirmation
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

0 Not allowed!

Gay softball world series……I’m not even going to ask what happens there….

What's the test for gayness then? I mean how gay is gayer?
    I believe that legends and myth are largely made of
    “truth”, and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Indeed it might be a basic characteristic of existence that those who would know it completely would perish, in which case the strength of a spirit should be measured according to how much of the “truth” one could still barely endure-or to put it more clearly, to what degree one would require it to be thinned down, shrouded, sweetened, blunted, falsified.
    Nietzsche

To God everything is beautiful, good, and just; humans, however, think some things are unjust and others just.
    Heraclitus

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

"Biphobia" is actually quite prevalent in the "Gay" community as well as coming from heterosexuals. I was shocked at the amount of lesbians who flat-out refuse to date bisexual women. And it's not uncommon for gay men to think there is no such thing as a bisexual man, and that they are just sitting on the fence and had better come out of the closet entirely.

The common prejudice is that bisexuals are
    1 - pussyfooting
    2 - doing it for attention
    3 - can't be trusted; they'll turn on you and run for the opposite sex
    And the list could go on.
    Quite frankly the perception on them is akin to that of spies or potential traitors or even cowards.

Personally I think it's rather sad. It's true some people use the term "bisexual" as a safety net, but I genuinely believe there are "true" bisexuals, even though they are the rarest "sexual group" out there.

So I'm not actually surprised this kind of thing happened. I'm hoping for these men they'll win their case, as rediculous as it all is.
    There'll be no diversity if we end up burning in the Melting pot...

Malarxist-Bidenist
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    01-03-2022 @ 06:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic, Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Northwestern European-American
    Ancestry
    Great Britain (early 17th c.), Ireland (19th c.), Elsaß Germany (19th c.)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Illinois
    Y-DNA
    I1
    mtDNA
    H
    Taxonomy
    Atlantic
    Politics
    Wählt Sozialdemokratisch! 🌹
    Hero
    Aldous Huxley
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta (शाक्तं)
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,782
    Given: 5,353

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentian View Post
    "Biphobia" is actually quite prevalent in the "Gay" community as well as coming from heterosexuals.
    The shenanigans of girls who apply the "Bi" label for attention or some other disingenuous motive, don't help the case of true bisexuals.

For the least common sexuality, there seem to be a lot of people claiming it.

Only butthurted clowns minuses my posts. -- Лиссиы

`│´ 1312019132512912292038191221 Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    North Germanic
    Ethnicity
    northern barbarian
    Country
    Sweden
    Taxonomy
    frosty & bloodthirsty
    Politics
    savaging and pillaging
    Religion
    catheist & evil cat propagandist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post
    The shenanigans of girls who apply the "Bi" label for attention or some other disingenuous motive, don't help the case of true bisexuals.

also known as "bisexual chic" .

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

1 - pussyfooting
    Quite frankly the perception on them is akin to that of spies or potential traitors or even cowards.
    You forgot that bisexual women = whores/sluts, apparently.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-27-2012 @ 11:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Ancestry
    Deutsch
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Prussia
    Taxonomy
    Dalofaelid Nordid
    Politics
    Das Herz am rechten Fleck
    Religion
    Hoffnung
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

0 Not allowed!

"Biphobia" is actually quite prevalent in the "Gay" community as well as coming from heterosexuals. I was shocked at the amount of lesbians who flat-out refuse to date bisexual women.
    I can't append my signature to that paragraph, I've made entirely different experiences. Sure, I'm not overly active in the local lesbian community but it happens that I visit the corresponding lounges or bars to meet women who share the same idea of spending the night, so to speak. That I'm not a lesbian myself has never been a serious issue. What counts a lot more is the ability to stand each other, the visuals, the character and a similar idea of how to tackle it. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not looking for a serious relationship there. I've a boyfriend and I stick to him. My same-gender contacts answer the sole purpose to stimulate phases of specific sexual lust and not to find someone for life. I'm open with my attitude from the very first minute and set clear borders.

1 - pussyfooting
    Can you see that free space? [ ] That's how much I care for prejudices. I like men. Sometimes I like women. And I take what I need. That's it.

Last Online
    01-03-2024 @ 10:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Svanhild View Post
    I can't append my signature to that paragraph, I've made entirely different experiences. Sure, I'm not overly active in the local lesbian community but it happens that I visit the corresponding lounges or bars to meet women who share the same idea of spending the night, so to speak. That I'm not a lesbian myself has never been a serious issue. What counts a lot more is the ability to stand each other, the visuals, the character and a similar idea of how to tackle it. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not looking for a serious relationship there. I've a boyfriend and I stick to him. My same-gender contacts answer the sole purpose to stimulate phases of specific sexual lust and not to find someone for life. I'm open with my attitude from the very first minute and set clear borders.
    That may be largely based on where you live. In many places, bisexuality carries a pretty strong stigma, among both gays and straights. And I think Laurentian was referring to the US specifically, where "biphobia" is quite common, at least in my experience. Generally it's something like bisexual men = gay, bisexual women = attention seekers, fakes, and sluts.

Burning in the Melting Pot Wölfin's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-23-2012 @ 09:57 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Canidae
    Ethnicity
    Canis Lupus
    Country
    Germany
    Region
    Rhineland
    Taxonomy
    Lycaon (Aterum)
    Politics
    #swag
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Óttar View Post

Tell me about it Why do idiots always have to hinder the motives of honest people in the world?

I whole heartedly agree with you here. But as la bombe said it depends on where you live. I was referring to the attitudes founds in the US/by Americans which I've come accross both in real life and online. I'd say the attitude is not as bad here where I live. At worst bisexuals aren't taken all too seriously. At best they're viewed like any other.

Also as far as I understand there's a difference between being in to someone for a one night stand and a relationship. I've heard lesbians say now and then they'll have a one night stand with a man but still identify as lesbian since they have no interest in forming a relationship with a man. Same goes for bisexuals.

Can you see that free space? [ ] That's how much I care for prejudices. I like men. Sometimes I like women. And I take what I need. That's it.
    I don't care about prejudice either. I love who I love, which happens to be a woman who identifies as bi. I identify as a lesbian so clearly it's never stopped me. Where prejudice comes in to play sadly is in situations like in the Opening Post. It really sucks for Bi men not to be considered "gay enough" to plays in a league that was created by LGBTs for atheletes to play without discrimination. It's ironic.

Also for trainwrecks, see the likes of Tila Tequila and the series A shot at love with Tila Tequila, A shot at love 2 with Tila Tequila and A Double Shot at Love with the Ikki twins.

Those show didn't help at all public opinion of bisexuals. Or lesbians. Or men for that matter. But I digress. It was interesting for me to see on these show the varying reactions and attitudes in the first season when she was revealed as bi. From the contestants themselves, to (this goes for all seasons) the attitudes of the contestants' families. It gives you a good idea of how many people view bisexuality as being simply "on the fence" or an excuse to be promiscuous. Which is rather insulting and maddening for those who are serious and comfortable with their orientation. I'd dare say many people in the US are afraid of referring to themselves as bisexuals and feel as they need to "pick a side".

An other interesting trainwreck is Megan Fox and her comment about how she as a bisexual woman is a hypocrite as she'd never sleep with an other woman who sleeps with men because men are gross, and hence she'd only sleep with a lesbian. What!? This bizarre comment just further shows she's an embarrasment to the human species. But it does show as a whole the attitude Americans might tend to have towards bisexuality.

Notice however how bisexual women take all the blame. It's rare men will use bisexuality to seek attention. Generally speaking they'll use it as a safety net to cover up homosexuality. This is perhaps exemplified by Katy Perry and her songs "I kissed a girl" juxtaposed against "Ur So Gay". Perpetuates the mentality that "Girls kissing is Hot" but "Guys kissing is not".
    There'll be no diversity if we end up burning in the Melting pot...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information