Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Variable but Ethnically Nationalist at the core.
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 188

5 Not allowed!

Post How to build a Cabin Shed

This is my little storage cabin in the mountains.

There's no immediate road access, everything has to either be brought up the mountainside or made use of nearby. Yet it's got some of the best views in the land and is far from the nanny-state's clutches.

It took me a month to build and I am going to show you how I did it.

This is what the land looked like before I even touched it!

While the leveling of the land and preparing for a full-scale cabin can be told, this thread is more on the small-scale cabin shed.

The storage cabin was essential if I was to have a bear-proof, rain-proof, snow-proof refuge for my stuff while I was away for whatever reason.
    It had to be simple, rugged and take me less than a month to build (as that is when I'd be leaving the land).

Unlike my primary cabin area which is a sizable 14 x 16’ this one would be tiny – only 4 x 6’. Nor would it be too fancy or require sophisticated lifting methods but it would mean I’d have to put my cabin build on hold until next year alas.

So I started it with four holes about two feet deep with posts about 6" thick forming my four uprights.

I put in some extra posts for a small porch effect, and reinforced the footings with rocks, then made a floor frame. This was out of 2x4s but 2x6s are better. With 2x4 joists for plyboard on top. All of the lumber was either treated or painted, including the plywood.

Once I’d leveled it I set about building the walls.

For this it would half-log cladding, I’d use froe, mallet and splitting wedges to achieve a true rustic, rugged effect.

Here’s one wall almost done.

For the roof my neighbor generously let me use plenty of his left-over lodgepole logs that were between 6’ and 9’ long. After many trips up and down the slope I had quite the stack building up, nevetheless there never seemed to be enough.

Back wall is up, this will be braced later hopefully, otherwise the snow drifts and pack could push it in a bit.

Attached Images Attached Images
    'The Way of Destiny is ruthless. When seasons change, no leaf will be spared by it's beauty, no realm by it's touch'

“You are so... 11:59” Kalimtari's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mollusca-Cephalopoda-Octopodiformes-Octopoda
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Tirol
    Hero
    Cthulhu
    Religion
    Cthulhu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,601
    Given: 6,731

1 Not allowed!

great job, dude

Last Online
    06-17-2020 @ 09:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Albania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,327
    Given: 1,512

2 Not allowed!

Is there enough space to have sex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geni View Post
    ore po na ikin vitet po vari karin vilave

“You are so... 11:59” Kalimtari's Avatar
    Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 12:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mollusca-Cephalopoda-Octopodiformes-Octopoda
    Country
    Austria
    Region
    Tirol
    Hero
    Cthulhu
    Religion
    Cthulhu
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,601
    Given: 6,731

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ALSh View Post

Last Online
    11-14-2016 @ 10:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ALSh View Post
    LOL. If you are both under 6 foot tall then yes.
    'The Way of Destiny is ruthless. When seasons change, no leaf will be spared by it's beauty, no realm by it's touch'

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

For the side walls I needed something with raw weight and toughness to give much needed mass.

It was time to fell a tree.

It wasn't quite straight enough for long posts but for a short wall log it was perfect.

Folks, it's time to meet the first of the Balbek Logs! I call them this because they dwarf the smaller logs and also pay homage to the mighty Baalbek stones of ancient times...

I mounted, drilled and bolted this in myself which was quite a feat (foolhardy with the drop-off directly behind me but I managed it).

For the second Balbek Log my neighbor helped me as it was too high to even dare suspended from one arm alone!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

If anyone is curious as to how I split the logs in half, this is how I did it.

For the really thick logs I hung them up and chainsawed them. Ideally you need a different type of chain for this, but the felling chain works ok (it will get very hot so make sure your bar-oil is full).

This is what a chainsawed log looks like:

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Getting the roof on was not going to be easy, not only was the roof pitch in excess of 45 degrees (about 45.5 or 12.2/12) but I'd never laid a roof before.

Still there's only one way to find out and that's to get stuck in and at it!

Plywood wall trimmed to follow the roof pitch.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Time for the plywood roof to get installed!

As much as I like being ultra-self reliant, 4x8 plywood at 1/2 inch is too awkward and once again help was essential in lifting and holding while I lined it up for drilling...

Tarpaper is going up! I've not installed this the correct way though, as I ought to have to running along the roof and not from top to bottom. Hopefully they'll be no leakage issues...

Getting the asphalt shingles on.

A friendly neighbor let me have a bundle of these for free, but strangely would not let me have the paired second bundle, little did I know this would later bite me on the behind, but more on that later.

Starter Course

Subsequent courses.

I ran out of shingle and had a devil of a time getting more of the same type and shading.

I got the last bundle at a nearby store but even that wasn't enough! I need a third bundle!

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Hyperborea
    Country
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    R1B
    Politics
    Hero
    Vidar
    Religion
    Heathen.
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Smile

This is what I made three of the logs into.

I suspend it from a chainblock and cut it from top to bottom with a chainsaw!
    It was much easier than leaning it against a tree. I'll be using a saw-horse in future times though...

I managed to install it myself! It was as heavy as the first ones but I semi-cheated by passing it in from the interior of the structure and the rafters helped keep it from toppling down to the ground. I added the bracers shortly afterwards. When MMM came by later to see how I was getting on he initially thought I used a winch.

The other Balbek Log I cut into two smaller pieces and here they are on the alcove side.

This is what the rain looks like when it drains off the roof, it's a foot clear of the posts too keeping it far enough to keep subsistence down to a minimum.

I'll add some stones to this at a later stage so it doesn't erode the ground away.

My neighbor kindly let me have an old door from the materials stockpile. He told its tale and made mention that it's at least 100 years old!

With his help this and other materials soon arrived and it was time to get the door screwed into place...

Getting a door on is no mean feat but with shims, boxes and other things to level it up I managed to get it square and installed.

Ready! I've got a hasp lock installed too, I'd like to see a bear figure its way into that one.

The Cabin Shed / Storehouse is complete and the great rain and snow looms in the coming days. I only just reached the construction-finished point with days to spare before my return to prison island uk and here's the final pictures of it.

The gaps and crannies have been sealed, with the exception of the rafter-gaps which I did not have time to block off with noggins etc.

So while I've hopefully got the deer mice and voles sealed off from the interior squirrels and maybe a pika will take up (temporary) residence, plus perhaps a wasps nest over the winter.

The morning of departure was a busy one, not only was there a lot to do but the temperature was freezing.

Just look at the roof!

Icy coverings were everywhere but the sun shone bright and soon melted it all away...

I can only hope it will stand the test of winter! A real test at 9,500 feet in the Rocky Mountains. Time will tell...

Thanks for visiting this thread, if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thread Information