View Poll Results: Which country is culturally the closest to Slovenia?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Croatia

21 42.00%
  • Austria

19 38.00%
  • Hungary

0 0%
  • Serbia

2 4.00%
  • Slovakia

8 16.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Which country is culturally the closest to Slovenia?

Last Online
    09-12-2015 @ 01:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    With long history of blodshed
    Country
    Belarus
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21
    Taxonomy
    Kurganoid
    Politics
    Traditionalism & Reactionary Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,816
    Given: 1,259

0 Not allowed!

Croats and Slovenians have no historical friends,
    And how did you come by this brilliant conclusion? Do you want me to remind you how many foreign volunteers were in Croatia during 90's ?
    Do you want to me to remind you about Hungarian,Austrian,German,Irish support ?

but Croats and Slovenians of nazi orientation personally feel close to Germany and Austria. It is more servility and a feeling of inferiority than friendship or closeness of mentality, culture etc.

While my ancestors were dancing Waltz, yours were selling pigs, trying to escape from one nahija to another, or to enter AH like modern immigrants, and trying to pass quarantine in Semlin or Vinkovci.
    Let us leave modern men to their ‘truths’ and let us only be concerned about one thing: to keep standing amid a world of ruins.
    - Julius Evola "Handbook of traditional living"

Banned
    Last Online
    06-09-2018 @ 10:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serbian
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 601
    Given: 1,113

0 Not allowed!

@viribus unitis

I wrote a sincere and true post. You answered with some fairy tales with the intention to delude uninformed persons.

A majority of Croats were very poor peasants during the 19th century and first half of the 20th century. Of course, it is not something shameful. It has nothing to do with modern times.

According to your post in Croatian language, you are still depending on parents for money. Something like that is almost impossible in Germanic countries. Balkanic, Slavic or Germanic mentality?

On the basis of your post in Croatian language and private corespodation with you I can conclude that you are primitive, aggressive and vulgar person without manners. Even your friend Feiichi told me in private message that you are an aggressive person prone to insults. You don't even know Croatian grammar and spelling. It is typical for uneducated persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Viribus Unitis View Post
    While my ancestors were dancing Waltz...

Really. I am impressed by that fact. Even if it is true, who care about it. I could not care less.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,720
    Given: 43,625

1 Not allowed!

You trying to equal Slovenia with Balkanic nations is funny. They share nothing with you, and even little with Croatia. Slovenia is alpine Central European country most similar to Austria.

Last Online
    09-12-2015 @ 01:27 AM
    Ethnicity
    With long history of blodshed
    Country
    Belarus
    Y-DNA
    R1b-S21
    Taxonomy
    Kurganoid
    Politics
    Traditionalism & Reactionary Right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,816
    Given: 1,259

0 Not allowed!

A majority of Croats were very poor peasants during the 19th century and first half of the 20th century. Of course, it is not something shameful. It has nothing to do with modern times.
    While Serbia was full of academics, highly educated people pushing the wheel of industrialization

According to your post in Croatian language, you are still depending on parents for money. Something like that is almost impossible in Germanic countries. Balkanic, Slavic or Germanic mentality?
    Mentality of a person who left home at 16 and then hit the ground. You have no clue about my life, nor what i have been trough (I lost parent when i was 15) so please stop with your BS.

On the basis of your post in Croatian language and private corespodation with you I can conclude that you are primitive, aggressive and vulgar person without manners.
    I just have the soft spot for Serbs spreading propaganda.

Even your friend Feiichi told me in private message that you are an aggressive person prone to insults.
    Wrong.

You don't even know Croatian grammar and spelling. It is typical for uneducated persons.
    I wasn't the best in school , i give you that, but at least i am not using drugs.
    Let us leave modern men to their ‘truths’ and let us only be concerned about one thing: to keep standing amid a world of ruins.
    - Julius Evola "Handbook of traditional living"

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-04-2023 @ 05:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 957
    Given: 1,498

3 Not allowed!

Well people congratulations, another Slovene thread turned into a... perturbed state of the atmosphere involving fecal matter, as those who adoperate a vernacular language register would say. This one is the 3rd in the Slovenian sub-forum I believe, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by rv12aval View Post
    You are half German half Slovenian of nazi orientation. Why do you speak on behalf of Slovenians?
    I am somewhat flattered that you did research on my humble person, however you did a poor job, I am not half-German by a longshot. What I am is irrelevant, and I disclosed my identity only to the Slovenes I have in my friend's list, my 'kin' are the only ones that matter to me in this regard and it is nobody else's bussiness.

I do not speak on behalf of any Slovene whatsoever, I simply made a further elucidation on a previous post about Slovenia's cultural affinity, based on my knowledge travelling across the country. An Albanian travelling across all of Slovenia would have just as valid credentials as I, or anyone else in this matter I believe; you made a fallacious point.

As for being Nazi, part of my family were footsloggers for the occupation regime in Slovenia, I have no shame that some of my relatives fought against communists. But I'm far from being a Nazi, I think it's mostly you misunderstanding my tongue-in-cheek remarks.

Despite the bloody war and break-up of Yugoslavia, most people from former Yugoslavia do not consider as foreigners other people from the former Yugoslavia. Also, people from other Slavic countries are much closer to ex Yugoslavs than Austrians or Italians. Austrians and Italians are foreigners, so that "cultural influence" is just abstract term in this case.

Everyone who said something different is just lier with vivid imagionation or uniformed person who does not know anything about ex Yugoslavia.
    In some macrocultural segments, Slovenia might be inevitably tied to ex-Yugoslav countries, after all, Slovenes lived side by side with them for almost a century, and Serbo-Croatian (BEFORE THE CROATS LYNCH ME, yes it is an artificial and meaningless term, but it was lingva franca in Yugoslavia) television, radio and so on was shoved down the gullet of the average Slovene, until he started to speak the language. Of course, if someone from the other republics came to Slovenia, let's say on a business trip, the Slovene side was forced to speak Serbo-Croatian (discrimination of the worst kind btw).

But in most aspects, Slovenia is closer to a mittel-European cultural group. Music, folk costumes, dances, food, religion, customs etc. there is virtually no overlap between Slovenia and Balkan countries. After all, Slovene duchies lived under Austrian overlordship for more than 500 years. Ask some Carinthian German members, if they consider Carinthian Slovenes closer to Austrian or to Bosniaks/Serbs/Makos.

Ex-Yugoslavs are very much foreigners, Balkan immigrants in Ljubljana stick out like wildfire, they brought there foreign stuff like cuisine for example. No Slovenian ate Borek or chevapchichi or stuff like that (and I hope Slovenes will boycott this stuff). When they open their mouth, basically you can detect outright Slovene is not their native tongue.

Croats and Slovenians have no historical friends, but Croats and Slovenians of nazi orientation personally feel close to Germany and Austria. It is more servility and a feeling of inferiority than friendship or closeness of mentality, culture etc.

Some people from Adriatic coast consider themselves "Mediterraneans" and feel close to Italy.
    No servility at all, Austria, until the 19th century, was a a very benevolent ruler, the Slovene duchies prospered under Wienna's leadership. Slovene language was also respected.

I will not respond to your chekist 'Nazi' accusation, 'tis mostly your own reductio ad hitlerum arguments which warrant no attention.

I cannot see any similarity between Albania and Serbia. There is no similarity in national costumes, customs, mentality, culture or anyone else. Of course, there is no historic friendship.
    I believe you. Likewise, I see no similarity between southern Croatia and Serbia with Slovenia (except maybe Vojvodina and Prekmurje).

Last Online
    05-05-2021 @ 11:26 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Illyro-Romance
    Ethnicity
    Arberor
    Ancestry
    Shqipëri
    Country
    Albania
    Region
    St Albans
    Taxonomy
    Dinarid-Pontid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,713
    Given: 3,033

3 Not allowed!

You are half German half Slovenian of nazi orientation. Why do you speak on behalf of Slovenians?
    His descent speaks for himself.

Despite the bloody war and break-up of Yugoslavia, most people from former Yugoslavia do not consider as foreigners other people from the former Yugoslavia. Also, people from other Slavic countries are much closer to ex Yugoslavs than Austrians or Italians. Austrians and Italians are foreigners, so that "cultural influence" is just abstract term in this case.
    Slovenes consider other Yugoslavs as foreigners in their country, not necessarily hateful, but still. An actual Slovenes lifestyle which is not influenced by Turbo folk is more similar to Italians or Austrians and I can vouch for this since I live here. Of course there are similarities with Yugoslavs due to a shared linguistic origin but Slovenes are as central European as it gets.

Everyone who said something different is just lier with vivid imagionation or uniformed person who does not know anything about ex Yugoslavia.
    Ex Yugoslavia is dead and long gone, most people here don't care about it except for some nostalgic elders, people criticize the European union all the time yet alone a southern Slavic one (which Yugoslavia itself wasn't).

That feeling should not be confused with friendship. For instance, the Russians and Ukraians are the similar nations, but Russia and Ukraina are at war currently.
    Most Serbs consider Greece as the "greatest friend" of Serbia. Russia is also considered as a friendly country and historic protector of Serbia. Greeks and Serbs have similar mentality. Also, the mentality of Croats and other ex Yugoslavs are more similar to Greek mentality than German mentality.
    Friendship has nothing to do with cultural similarities indeed, religion itself neither. To claim a similar mentality with Greeks due to the Orthodox religion itself is laughable.

Croats and Slovenians have no historical friends, but Croats and Slovenians of nazi orientation personally feel close to Germany and Austria. It is more servility and a feeling of inferiority than friendship or closeness of mentality, culture etc.
    Not speaking of historical orientations, most Slovenes view Germany/Austria as the perfect place to live and have no issue with the German language itself. They're also one of the most popular skiing destinations after Italy. To understand the life of simple people you have to think with a ''simple'' mind.

Some people from Adriatic coast consider themselves "Mediterraneans" and feel close to Italy.

I cannot see any similarity between Albania and Serbia. There is no similarity in national costumes, customs, mentality, culture or anyone else. Of course, there is no historic friendship.

Kanun -> Dusan's code, Highlanders (specifically Montenegro region), tribal families, lahuta -> gusli, Ottoman influenced vocabulary, cuisine & many, many other ones. Honestly, most visitors don't have an extra Slavic feel when they visit the areas of ex Yugoslavia and you share many cultural similarities with us due to common non-Slavic Paleo-Balkanite ancestors.

Last Online
    04-08-2017 @ 10:55 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Bosniak
    Country
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 966
    Given: 452

0 Not allowed!

Austria. Not even Zagorje Croats are that close to Slovenes mentally, not to mention those in Slavonia or Dalmatia.

That's not to say that those regions (or any other country) is worse than Slovenia. Just not culturally most similar.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-04-2023 @ 05:19 AM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 957
    Given: 1,498

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnjakinja View Post
    Austria. Not even Zagorje Croats are that close to Slovenes mentally, not to mention those in Slavonia or Dalmatia.

That's not to say that those regions (or any other country) is worse than Slovenia. Just not culturally most similar.
    What do you mean by mentally? Mentally as we can't communicate telepathically or have a hive mind or some sci-fi stuff?

Music from Zagorje is very similar to the style played over the border, language is similar to those dialects of south Slovenia, as are the looks of the people. Many people in some parts of Zagorje and Gorski Kotr have Slovene ancestry, just as people in Dolenjska have Croat ancestry because of the population exchange during Ottoman times.

I listen to music from Zagorje very often

Last Online
    12-31-2023 @ 11:20 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavomongol
    Ethnicity
    fugly
    Country
    Pakistan
    Y-DNA
    A1DS
    mtDNA
    H1N1
    Taxonomy
    Turanid/Mongoloid
    Hero
    Black O'Banana
    Religion
    Pantardism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,818
    Given: 3,519

1 Not allowed!

How common is yodeling in Slovenia?
    - Mongol Pride Worldwide -
    - Uzbek Pride Worldwide -
    -------------------------------------

Banned
    Last Online
    09-12-2016 @ 03:22 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Ethnicity
    Belarusian
    Country
    Quebec
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,692
    Given: 734

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Banned in DC View Post
    Also they got really offended by being labelled as Balkan and Slavic too.

Maybe offended by being labelled as people of the Balkans, but getting offended for being labelled as Slavic??? All Slovenes I met were identifying themselves as Slavs first and foremost.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information