Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,636
    Given: 40

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Archduke View Post
    What are the other differences?

Shtokavian is also divided between ikavian ijekavian and ekavian, but doesn't mean that each dialect is a different language.

Torlakian is ekavian, but this is the only thing which makes it sound as its close to Serbian.
    According to some linguists Torlakian is just primitive Shtokavian.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,915
    Given: 7,434

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pribislav View Post
    That is Shop dialect, part of SE Serbia speak that dialect.
    Bulgarian standard is yakavian (byalo, mlyako), and Shop is ekavian (belo, mleko). This is not only difference.
    This dialect from video is quite Serbian shifted, unlike Bulgarian standard which sounds East Slavic shifted.
    In the Temska Manuscript of Pirot (Torlakian-speaking area) dating back to 1764, the local speech is referred to as Buglarian.

The title of the manuscript is "Из душевного обреда в’ неделных днех слова избрана. На прости язык болгарскій". - "Selected words from the weekly spiritual rituals. In simple Bulgarian language".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temska_manuscript

But you have a point about them celebrating Slava which is a Serb tradition. Is it possible that Shops originally identified as their own distinct people but then later assimilated into Serbs and Bulgarians?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    04-03-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    In the Temska Manuscript of Pirot (Torlakian-speaking area) dating back to 1764, the local speech is referred to as Buglarian.

The title of the manuscript is "Из душевного обреда в’ неделных днех слова избрана. На прости язык болгарскій". - "Selected words from the weekly spiritual rituals. In simple Bulgarian language".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temska_manuscript

But you have a point about them celebrating Slava which is a Serb tradition. Is it possible that Shops originally identified as their own distinct people but then later assimilated into Serbs and Bulgarians?
    In Bulgarian part of Shopluk Slava is banned in 1879.

The strongest haplogroup among Serbs from Torlakian speaking region is I2-PH908. They have less in % than Dinaric Serbs, but still is the strongest.
    On the other hand among Bulgarian I2a-Din is not even on the first place, let slone I2-PH908.
    ^^
    Before genetic researches I used to bealive that Serb Torlakians are close related with Bulgarians, but not now.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In Bulgarian part of Shopluk Slava is banned in 1879.

The strongest haplogroup among Serbs from Torlakian speaking region is I2-PH908. They have less in % than Dinaric Serbs, but still is the strongest.
    On the other hand among Bulgarian I2a-Din is not even on the first place, let slone I2-PH908.
    ^^
    Before genetic researches I used to bealive that Serb Torlakians are close related with Bulgarians, but not now.
    Now that I think about it, I think the reason the Temska Manuscript was referred to as Bulgarian is because Old Church Slavonic and Bulgarian may have been used synonymously since OCS is based off the variety of Slavic spoken in Bulgaria (the first Slavic land to start writing in their language). In the past, OCS was the language of liturgy in Orthodox Slavic countries and most official documents in Orthodox Slavic lands would have been written in OCS (Bulgarian).

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Now that I think about it, I think the reason the Temska Manuscript was referred to as Bulgarian is because Old Church Slavonic and Bulgarian may have been used synonymously since OCS is based off the variety of Slavic spoken in Bulgaria (the first Slavic land to start writing in their language). In the past, OCS was the language of liturgy and most official documents in Slavic countries would have been written in OCS (Bulgarian).
    In Ottoman time existed term "Bulgarians" for poor people who don't have own land. "Bulgarians" as social class are mentioned even in Sandžak and eastern Bosnia.

Macedonian users can confirm for existence non-ethnic meaning of term "Bulgarian."

Last Online
    10-20-2023 @ 04:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic for the most part
    Ethnicity
    American Northern Euro Mongrel
    Ancestry
    DK, IE, NO
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordo-Faelid...apparently
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 1,539

0 Not allowed!

Mostly here as a spectator. I truly like their folk music. I remember these women having garnered a modest following when I was a boy.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

In Ottoman time existed term "Bulgarians" for poor people who don't have own land. "Bulgarians" as social class are mentioned even in Sandžak and eastern Bosnia.

Macedonian users can confirm for existence non-ethnic meaning of term "Bulgarian."
    But I don't think "Bulgarian language" would be used as a social term. I think it means Old Church Slavonic in this context.

My point was that even though the Temska Manuscript refers to the manuscript's language as Bulgarian, that doesn't mean that Torlakians natively called their actual language was called Bulgarian. It was probably just what they called the liturgical language (OCS) not what they spoke in their homes.

By the way, Shopi and Torlakian-speaking are not the same thing.

Shopluk (according to Serbian geographer Jovan Cvijić)

Torlakian-speaking lands

Last edited by Mingle; 08-17-2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Forgot some words

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

But I don't think "Bulgarian language" would be used as a social term. I think it means Old Church Slavonic in this context.

My point was that even though the Temska Manuscript refers to their language as Bulgarian, that doesn't mean that Torlakians natively called their language as Bulgarian. It was probably just what they called the liturgical language (OCS) not what they spoke in their homes.

By the way, Shopi and Torlakian-speaking are not the same thing.

Shopluk (according to Serbian geographer Jovan Cvijić)

Torlakian-speaking lands

All Serbian Shopi are in the same time Torlakian speakers, but not all Torlakian speakers are Shopi. Because Shopluk is region in SE Serbia and W. Bulgaria and Shopi are people living in Shopluk. There are Torlakian speakers outside of Shopluk, west and SW of Shopluk.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Serb
    Ancestry
    Dalmatia
    Country
    Serbia
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

All Serbian Shopi are in the same time Torlakian speakers, but not all Torlakian speakers are Shopi. Because Shopluk is region in SE Serbia and W. Bulgaria and Shopi are people living in Shopluk. There are Torlakian speakers outside of Shopluk, west and SW of Shopluk.
    You second map show that most or Torlakian speaking areal is in Serbia. In Bulgaria is small piece near border with Serbia and one enclave on Danube.

Hatchling
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Iranic
    Ethnicity
    Pashtun
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    R1a>Z93>FT296004
    mtDNA
    U2c1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Since both Shtokavian and Torlakian are part of the same dialect continuum, is there any way to draw the dividing line between Shtokavian and Torlakian? Like why is the dialect in Nish considered Torlakian but not the dialect in Krushevac? Does the Nish dialect have some features that the Krushevac dialect doesn't that makes it Torlakian? Or is the line between what is considered Shtokavian and Torlakian just drawn randomly?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information