Religion
    Heathen
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default UV Vision in Some Humans

I have the ability to see ultraviolet light. Unlike the others in the enclosed article though, I can see only the hot colours of the spectrum, washed over with ultraviolet, because I am also partially colour blind.
    For many years I was unaware of this condition, only finding out what was wrong when my optomestrist performed extensive tests on me, after discovering I have a macular degenerative disease of the eyes which will, in my old age, render my registered blind and disabled as such.
    Life is interesting seen through my eyes.
    I used to paint, but everyone thought I was stoned when I did, due to using the colours I could see, in place of the colours that where really `there`...such as orange grass, hot copper mountains, etc...
    The easiest way to explain it is that the cooler shades others see as blues, greens, etc, are all shades of grey for me. The hot colours are in stark contrast and yet still washed over by the UV.
    I`ve seen no practical use for it at all, except, before a thunderstorm, the sky looks like one huge, impressive bruise.

BIRD'S-EYE VIEW
    Ultraviolet vision is commonplace in the animal world. A very few people, it turns out, have this ability too.

By Ivan Amato
    April 4, 2005
    (FORTUNE Magazine) – WHEN WILLIAM STARK WAS 10 years old, a nail he was hammering in the cellar of his home in Pittsburgh shot upward and plunged directly into his left eye. His injury was bad enough that a surgeon eventually had to remove the lens. In an intact human eye, the lens filters out ultraviolet light, which can injure the eye over time. So when Stark's lens came out, UV light for the first time could make it all the way to his left retina. "I suddenly was seeing a whole bunch of the spectrum that I hadn't been able to see before," he recalls. A little like Superman, little William Stark had UV vision.

Ever since then, Stark's world has been painted according to a different plan. It's generally brighter and bluer. The sun appears more brilliant, the moon richer in off-whites. If he could find glasses that would help his left eye focus better, Stark suspects he would see flowers the way birds and bees do--rife with UV pigments that define alluring bull's-eye and landing-pad patterns. Although he says it's a coincidence, Stark's experience of hypersensory vision may have influenced his choice of occupation: He's a physiological psychologist at Washington University in St. Louis. In that capacity he investigates, among other things, ultraviolet vision in fruit flies.
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...5929/index.htm

Banned
    Last Online
    05-23-2009 @ 05:50 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial Germanic
    Ancestry
    Continental Europe and the British Isles. [Norway, Scotland and the former Hapsburg Empire]
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    Protestant [Agnostic]
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

I remember being incredibly sensitive to light and having night vision. Night vision to the extent that I could see myself, objects, my fingers, everything, and almost being able to read black font; in the pitch black.

But of course I outgrew this ability. Yep I happily traded the night vision in order to be able to see in broad daylight

I also remember seeing splashes of colors and a lot of unusual things. Sometimes as a young child, I vaguely remember seeing things that would be considered schizophrenic for a full grown adult. For example, a headless man in a tuxedo walking into my closet, turning around and disappearing.
    Last edited by TheGreatest; 01-18-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information