Banned
    Last Online
    04-28-2012 @ 04:02 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Lancashire, Bernicia, Munster, Mercia etc.
    Country
    England
    Region
    Devon
    Taxonomy
    Manchester Man
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Primary sources for your nation's earliest history

I am interested in widening my knowledge a little. I know the basic stuff for the foundation of the modern European nations, mostly from Gibbon actually, but he was writing in the 1700s, so I suppose I could do with a bit of an update.

I'll give an idea of what I would like you to contribute by listing the important ancient sources for my people;

EARLY ENGLAND:

Perhaps most important is The Ecclesiastical History of the English People, by the Venerable Bede, writing in the 730s. He was a monk from the northeast of England, a great scholar, and highly conscientious historian (if also an unashamed apologist for the Roman Church). His work covers the establishment of the Heptarchia - the seven Kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England - and the Conversion of our people.

Additionally, we have the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle - a year by year account of political life in England that was begun in the 900s and kept up until the final death of Old English literacy in the early Norman period.

Welsh sources give important background to these too, especially Gildas's Ruin of Britain, which was used by Bede himself. This was an extended sermon written in Latin, probably in the 600s or thereabouts. The Welsh Bishop Asser rose to prominence at King Aelfred's court, writing his important Life of King Aelfred on the Anglo-Danish wars of the period.

Old English literature was rich in hagiography, and many of these Lives of Saints give important historical information.

Many charters have survived too, leaving much detail for future historians to puzzle over regarding economic matters and tenure.

There are other sources too, but how would you make an analogous list for other European countries? From the top of my head, I can think of the following;

RUSSIA:
    The so-called Primary Chronicle or Повѣсть времяньныхъ лѣтъ;- the annals compiled by the Monk Nestor in Kiev in the 1100s...

FRANCE:
    Gregory of Tours's History of the Franks from the late 500s...

GERMANY:
    Tacitus's Germania, naturally. But what of the early mediaeval period???

BRITAIN/WALES:
    Tacitus's Agricola,, Nennius's 9th Century History of Britain, the Cambrian Annals, Gerald of Wales's 12th Century Journey through Wales...

IRELAND:
    Lebor Gabala or 'Book of Invasions', Gerald of Wales's History and Topography of Ireland...

My list is woefully incomplete. Please help fill it out!

Banned
    Last Online
    06-18-2012 @ 11:36 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    "...ice people, Europeans, colonizers, oppressors, the cold, rigid element in world history."
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Taxonomy
    Nordic
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40

0 Not allowed!

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Osweo View Post
    FRANCE:
    Gregory of Tours's History of the Franks from the late 500s...
    I would start with Caesar's (13 July 100 BC – 15 March 44 BC) Commentarii de Bello Gallico. Then for the Franks go with Gregory of Tours, plus Einard's (c. 775 – March 14, 840) Vita Karoli Magni, Notker's (c. 840 – 6 April 912) De Carolo Magno, and the Liber Historiae Francorum (727)

Thread Information