Atlantean
    Country
    Great Britain
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 434
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Default Freydís Eiríksdóttir - a real nordic woman

Freydís Eiríksdóttir was a daughter of Erik the Red, associated with the Norse exploration of North America. The only medieval sources which mention Freydís are the two Vinland sagas, believed to be composed in the 13th century but purporting to describe events around 1000. They offer widely different accounts, though in both Freydís appears as a strong-willed woman. Eiríks saga rauða describes her as a half-sister of Leifr Eiríksson but according to Grœnlendinga saga she was a full sister.

Saga of Erik the Red

Freydís joins an expedition to Vinland led by Þorfinnr Karlsefni. Her major part in the story is intervening in a battle between the Norse and the native Skrælingjar. The natives are mounting an attack and have driven the Norse into a retreat.
    Freydis came out and saw how they were retreating. She called out, "Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely, you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Let me but have a weapon, I think I could fight better than any of you." They gave no heed to what she said. Freydis endeavoured to accompany them, still she soon lagged behind, because she was not well [pregnant]; she went after them into the wood, and the Skrælingar directed their pursuit after her. She came upon a dead man; Thorbrand, Snorri's son, with a flat stone fixed in his head; his sword lay beside him, so she took it up and prepared to defend herself therewith.
    Then came the Skrælingar upon her. She let down her sark and struck her breast with the naked sword. At this they were frightened, rushed off to their boats, and fled away. Karlsefni and the rest came up to her and praised her zeal.

Grœnlendinga saga

After expeditions to Vinland led by Leifr Eiríksson, Þorvaldr Eiríksson and Þorfinnr Karlsefni have met with some success Freydís wants the prestige and wealth associated with a Vinland journey. She makes a deal with two Icelandic men, Helgi and Finnbogi, that they should go together to Vinland and share all profits half and half. They agree to bring the same number of men but Freydís secretly takes more.
    In Vinland, Freydís betrays her partners, has them and their men attacked when sleeping and killed. She personally executes the five women in their group since no-one else would do the deed. Freydís wants to conceal her treachery and threatens death to anyone who tells of the killings. She goes back to Greenland after a year's stay and tells the story that Helgi and Finnbogi had chosen to remain in Vinland.
    But not everyone is silent and word of the killings eventually reaches the ears of Leifr. He has three men from Freydís's expedition tortured until they confess the whole occurrence. Thinking ill of the deeds he still does not want "to do that to Freydis, my sister, which she has deserved".

Last Online
    01-16-2012 @ 07:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    That
    Ethnicity
    This
    Country
    Brasil
    Politics
    Aristocratic isolation
    Religion
    Wandering
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

This is the woman I want to marry! Haha, now serious, I read about her few years ago and I was impressed by her deeds and strong will.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-13-2012 @ 01:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Finnic
    Ethnicity
    Suomalainen
    Country
    Finland
    Taxonomy
    Itämerensuomalainen/Baltic Finn
    Politics
    Send in the jack-booted thugs
    Religion
    That which does not kill us makes us stranger
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69

0 Not allowed!

A statue of her in downtown Reykjavik:

Last Online
    09-29-2011 @ 06:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Norwegian freedomlovers, Irish princesses, 15th century German noblemen and one English doctor
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic
    Ancestry
    Noregr,Eire,Danmörk,Sachsen, England
    Country
    Iceland
    Taxonomy
    UP either something between Bruenn and Faelid
    Politics
    White is right!!
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    A statue of her in downtown Reykjavik:

Strange ive never seen this statue

Last Online
    10-20-2023 @ 04:51 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic for the most part
    Ethnicity
    American Northern Euro Mongrel
    Ancestry
    DK, IE, NO
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordo-Faelid...apparently
    Religion
    None
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,494
    Given: 1,539

0 Not allowed!

I read about her in a saga I sneaked out with from the public library. women today could learn from her that is empowerment.

Thread Information