Thread: Could our ancestors see blue? Ancient civilisations didn't perceive the colour because they didn't

Last Online
    03-02-2024 @ 11:38 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Homo neogrecous
    Ethnicity
    Yes
    Country
    Japan
    Region
    Acadia
    mtDNA
    H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

1 Not allowed!

Default Could our ancestors see blue? Ancient civilisations didn't perceive the colour because they didn't

Could our ancestors see blue? Ancient people didn't perceive the colour because they didn't have a word for it, say scientists
    Studies say language shapes what we see by making us focus on objects
    Blue doesn't appear at all in Greek stories and other ancient written texts

As a result, scientists believe ancient civilisations didn't notice the colour
    Egyptians - who were the only culture that could produce blue dyes - were the first civilisation to have a word for the colour blue in 2500 BC
    The Himba people in Namibia do not have a word for blue and tests have shown they have difficulty distinguishing between green and blue
    By ELLIE ZOLFAGHARIFARD FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
    PUBLISHED: 18:00 EST, 2 March 2015 | UPDATED: 21:01 EST, 2 March 2015

The blue and black (or gold and white) dress that sweeped the internet last week revealed just how differently two people can see the world.

But it's not just about lighting conditions or optical illusions - evidence is mounting that until we have a way to describe something, we may not see its there.

Ancient languages, for instance, didn't have a word for blue and scientists believe as a result our ancestors didn't notice the colour even existed.
    Scroll down for video

Evidence is mounting that until we have a way to describe something, we may not see its there. Ancient languages, for instance, didn't have a word for blue and scientists believe as a result our ancestors didn't notice the colour even existed

According to Business Insider's Kevin Loria, in 'The Odyssey,' Greek poet Homer famously describes the 'wine-dark sea.'

In 1858 William Gladstone, who later became the British prime minister, counted the colour references in the Homer's Odyssey and found blue wasn't mentioned at all.

Black is mentioned nearly 200 times and white about 100. Red, meanwhile, is mentioned fewer than 15 times, and yellow and green fewer than 10.

It wasn't just the Greeks. Blue also doesn't appear in the Koran, ancient Chinese stories, and an ancient Hebrew version of the Bible, according to a German philologist named Lazarus Geiger.

Egyptians, who were the only culture that could produce blue dyes, were the first ancient civilisation to have a word for the colour blue.

Once this product spread, other civilisations picked up on the colour, which doesn't readily appear in nature.
    Today, there remain tribes who don't have a colour for blue, such as the Himba people in Namibia.

Several years ago, researchers showed some of the Himba tribe a circle with 11 green squares and one blue.
    The study found they could not pick out which one was different from the others, or took much longer to make sense of it.

However, the same tribe has many different words for green. When they were shown squares with one green a different shade, they could pick it out immediately.
    Another study focused on how Russian speakers have separate words for light blue (goluboy) and dark blue (siniy).

MIT recruited 50 people from the Boston area in Massachusetts, half of whom were native Russian speakers.
    They found they were 10 per cent faster at distinguishing between light (goluboy) blues and dark (siniy) blues than at discriminating between blues within the same shade category.

A separate study last year seemed to confirm that while colours may be the same around the world, the language in which they are described has an impact on how they are perceived.

In English, the most popular base colours are blue, pink and green, while in China red, blue and green are more prominent.

A data scientist wanted to put this theory to the test and, in doing so, created a graphic that reveals how few ways there are in certain Eastern cultures to talk about colours, compared to the West.

Muyueh Lee from Taipei designed the infographic to show the range of names for colours and hues on Wikipedia, in English and then in Chinese.

His method is biased as there are more Wikipedia users that are English speakers, but it does reveal the importance of certain colours in both languages.

In Chinese, most popular base colours are 紅 (red), 藍 (blue) and 綠 (green). Colours can also relate to objects like salmon, stone and pine tree.

This may be telling as red in Chinese cultures symbolises good fortune and joy. It remains a popular colour in the country and is affiliated with the current government.

By comparison, popular English colours are blue, green and pink, with some colours based on objects.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3TPGCMKgQ

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 04:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mare
    Country
    Andorra
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,783
    Given: 2,629

1 Not allowed!

I wouldn't trust dailymail much.

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

0 Not allowed!

Most use of ancient "color" is talking about brightness, not hue. That is why some people make some dumb interpretations of greek texts. For example if you say something is like a bronze shield you are talking about the glow. There's really not much reason to talk about hue before the age of dyes and indo-european languages did not really do so.

It's actually pretty simple, and shows even among scholars there's some really retarded thinking.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

. . .
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenized barbarian
    Country
    European Union
    Politics
    direct democracy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12,449
    Given: 31,622

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Also View Post
    I wouldn't trust dailymail much.
    me neither but when reading about some Siberian languages some years ago I was surprised by exactly this thing: one single word for both blue and green. I said wtf

Last Online
    01-26-2020 @ 09:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Last edited by igo112; 03-14-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Last Online
    09-26-2015 @ 01:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Italian-American
    Ancestry
    Southern Italy
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Taxonomy
    Dinaro-Med
    Politics
    Mixed beliefs
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,407
    Given: 938

1 Not allowed!

The heading for this article reminds me of when I was a little kid and I used to see old pics in black and white and thought that was really how the world used to look.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 04:41 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mare
    Country
    Andorra
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,783
    Given: 2,629

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
    The heading for this article reminds me of when I was a little kid and I used to see old pics in black and white and thought that was really how the world used to look.

Last Online
    01-26-2020 @ 09:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Apparently it was possible to mix cyan/00FFFF and magenta/FF00FF to have approximated indigo colour http://www.netlibrary.net/article/WH...olor_indigo.29 ...which is mimicked by modern electronics, that can use non-RGB components but will yield similar composite spectrum.

wild gaelic savage
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-19-2016 @ 08:45 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celtic/Germanic hybrid with disproportionate scandinavian phenotype for amount of ancestry
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian-American and Irish.
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, Frisia
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Leinster
    Taxonomy
    Borreby-Nordid / Keltik-Nordid
    Politics
    Tribal Anarchist
    Hero
    Avakkum
    Religion
    Christian.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 867

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gökhan View Post
    me neither but when reading about some Siberian languages some years ago I was surprised by exactly this thing: one single word for both blue and green. I said wtf
    in Old Norse and in old Irish this exists for blue and black.
    I'm looking for people like me, who are crazy, fun, and not afraid of life. and one day when I find them, we'll escape, we'll break out of the zoo.

Thread Information