H
    Politics
    oh look. the curve is flattening.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,431
    Given: 241

4 Not allowed!

Default Civilisation does NOT need faith in God

Civilisation does NOT need faith in God: Belief in supreme being doesn't play a role in forming complex societies, study finds
    Scientists at the University of Auckland studied 97 Pacific island cultures
    Belief in an all-powerful God was found to not be a civilising influence
    Religions that followed supreme deities emerged after complex societies
    Instead belief in supernatural and vengeful spirits drove civilised cultures

By RICHARD GRAY FOR MAILONLINE
    PUBLISHED: 04:48 EST, 5 March 2015 | UPDATED: 05:02 EST, 5 March 2015

It is a common thread through many of the world's dominant religions that those who do not follow the same faith are barbarians.
    Yet new research has now challenged the conventional idea that belief in a powerful and judgmental God is necessary to form large, complex civilisations.
    Anthropologists have found that belief in supreme deities often emerged after complex societies had already formed.

The scientists studied the development of religion and cultures on Pacific islands that make up Austronesia.

They examined 96 ancient Austronesian cultures - including those on Fiji, Tonga, Hawaii and Samoa - that had not had contact with Abrahamic religions like Christianity and Islam.

FLOODS AND FAMINE MAY HAVE KICKSTARTED WORLD'S RELIGIONS
    They often form a central part of most biblical stories, but it appears that floods, famines and plagues may have also helped to start belief in some gods in the first place.

Researchers at North Carolina State University found that belief in all-powerful and moralising gods tended to appear at times of hardship in human history.

They claim that believing in such a supreme deity helps to ensure people within a society live by certain moral rules that are necessary when living in harsh environments or in times of hardship.

The researchers studied the origins of 583 religious societies around the world.
    They compared these to climate, rainfall and plant growth data for each area to build up a historical picture of the conditions each society was living in.

The findings may help to shed light on how religions such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam first emerged and why stories of hardship play such a central role.
    Dr Joseph Watts, an expert in cultural evolution at the University of Auckland in new Zealand, said: 'We found 22 instances of high political complexity through out historically and geographically distant regions of Austronesia.

'The results presented here cast doubt on the widely held view that moralizing high gods facilitate the emergence of political complexity.

'Although beliefs in moralising high gods do co-evolve with political complexity, believes follow rather than drive political complexity.'
    Instead the researchers found that belief in systems of supernatural punishment - such as vengeful spirits - tended to precede the emergence of complex societies and civilisations on the islands.

These tended to be belief in anthropomorphic beings such as the spirits of dead ancestors.
    The researchers found that 37 of the cultures sampled had beliefs of this type while just six believed in supreme deities.

Those that believed in a single all-powerful god tended to be clustered in southeast Asia including the Bontok and Tagbanwa cultures in the Philippines, the Batak Toba people of North Sumatra, the Manggarai tribes of Flores in Indonesia.

The names of their gods are Lumawig, Mangindusa, Mulajadi na Bolon and Mori Karaeng respectively.
    The researchers then used trees of evolutionary connections between cultures, deduced from earlier studies of linguistic relationships, to explore how the societies were inter-related and exchanged ideas.

Islam is often seen as having been a civilising influence on Arab culture in the past and millions now make the pilgrimage to Mecca, shown above, every year. But the new research suggests that ancient religions like this that believe in an all powerful God may have emerged after complex cultures had already begun to grow

They were then able to model how the different religions influenced the development of the political structure and cultural complexity in each society.
    Writing in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B, Dr Watts and his colleagues said: 'For beliefs in systems of supernatural punishment, however, the beliefs seem to help political complexity to emerge, although by no means guarantee it.
    'We suggest that the concept of moralising high gods diffused as part of a suite of traits arising from cultural exchange between complex societies.'

Christianity has had a history of trying to convert those of other faiths that were considered heathens but it the latest research suggests that supernatural beliefs played a greater role in civilisation than was thought

However, Mark Pagel, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Reading, told Nature that he believed the key to increasing political complexity was language not religion.
    He said that societies became more complex as networks of trade and reputation emerged.

Instead he said that all powerful gods perhaps were useful as a tool to help those in power to cement their grip on a society.
    He said: 'As soon as you have a large society generating lots of goods and services, this wealth can be put to use by someone who can grab the reins of power.
    'The most immediate way to do this is to align yourself with a supreme deity and then make lists of things people can and cannot do, and these become ‘morals’ when applied to our social behaviour.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3TVfIq3zm

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

9 Not allowed!

Hahaha. A couple decades without it and the west is practically eradicated.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

By sea by air and land. Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    09-19-2015 @ 10:16 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Irish/Scotish.
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    City of London
    Taxonomy
    Sub-Nordic
    Politics
    N/S
    Hero
    Nicky Wilson S.B.S.
    Religion
    Athiest
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 813
    Given: 1,938

1 Not allowed!

There has only been Death and unrest [War] as a Direct result of Religion, Since the early days when the Pope lead his armies into war on horse back with his Sword in his hand, Religion has been at the forefront of most wars, unrest and Tyranny across the World only IMO....
    Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems such as those connected with reality... Existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and language... It strikes me as peculiar that most concern themselves solely with language, the least of all philosophies...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTqpfL9WMA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSWDjgyk8Aw

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2015 @ 11:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Revanite
    Ancestry
    Outer Rim Territories
    Taxonomy
    Mandalorian
    Politics
    Kratocratic Imperialism
    Hero
    Xendor
    Religion
    Power through rebirth
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,215
    Given: 897

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    There has only been Death and unrest [War] as a Direct result of Religion, Since the early days when the Pope lead his armies into war on horse back with his Sword in his hand, Religion has been at the forefront of most wars, unrest and Tyranny across the World only IMO....
    Except for Julius II (and maybe some other pontiff I may be unaware of), Popes never led armies in the battlefield.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnikk
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Taxonomy
    Syrian Slayer
    Politics
    Islam or Death
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,636
    Given: 1,670

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Revan View Post
    Except for Julius II (and maybe some other pontiff I may be unaware of), Popes never led armies in the battlefield.
    And yet it was both the temporal and religious power combination of the Popes (both emperor, thus above princes and kings AND prophet, as he sat the Throne of Peter) that caused the first rift in the Church and the Reformation, which unleashed the degeneracy that plagues the West for the last 300 years. The liberties and breach of law by the clergy in the latin west are directly tied to the above as is their Anathema to the eastern church that condemned half of Europe to a battlefield between islam and orthodoxy and brought on the terrible rashness that was the 4th Crusade.

One can argue that this was due to the Imperial nature of the western church as compared to the doctrine of the two swords in the east. Much like Arrian and Protestant christianity had a different nature that demanded a simplification of everything, a total heresy, as compared to Nestorianism or Suffis in Islam. 500 years later, western civilization is still paying the price of Lutherianism which was caused by what I mentioned in the paragraph above. Not, of course, to imply that the eastern church is not mired in similar breaches but intrinsically and mechanically it works in different ways that go a long way into combating such practices instead of encouraging them. I could attempt to clarify on that, if anyone is interested.

Banned
    Last Online
    09-01-2016 @ 05:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnikk
    Country
    Vatican-City
    Taxonomy
    Syrian Slayer
    Politics
    Islam or Death
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,636
    Given: 1,670

1 Not allowed!

But to answer the OP in a TLDR fashion, there are no civilizations without at least a basic set of principles or ethical calculus that are always expressed the best in faith and religion. The two are tied together so close that they become one and cannot be separated.

Last Online
    Today @ 08:40 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Swedish, English, Ulster Scots, Welsh
    Country
    United States
    Hero
    Robert E. Lee, St. Nicholas
    Religion
    Christian Identity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,547
    Given: 2,118

0 Not allowed!

1) Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2) And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

3) But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

4) And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

5) For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

6) And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

7) And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

8) And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden.

9) And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?

10) And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

11) And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?

12) And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.

13) And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

Genesis 3:1-13, KJV
    Without God to guide us and give us moral strength, what are the odds that a head of state and the people wouldn't fall into temptation?

The greatness of a civilization can be measured by the level of its people's virtue.
    Why the Holocaust™ is a Fable.__________Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

I retain copyright to all original content I post on The Apricity. Notice posted on June 13, 2020.
    "Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me. Amen!" Martin Luther (1483-1547)

Banned
    Last Online
    04-24-2015 @ 11:12 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Human
    Ethnicity
    Revanite
    Ancestry
    Outer Rim Territories
    Taxonomy
    Mandalorian
    Politics
    Kratocratic Imperialism
    Hero
    Xendor
    Religion
    Power through rebirth
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,215
    Given: 897

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Smaland View Post
    Without God to guide us and give us moral strength, what are the odds that a head of state and the people wouldn't fall into temptation?

The greatness of a civilization can be measured by the level of its people's virtue.
    Then the Amish are superior to the Roman Empire.

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ironic
    Ethnicity
    Persian
    Country
    Georgia
    Y-DNA
    I2
    mtDNA
    wasted to care
    Taxonomy
    MUH TEBID
    Politics
    are the problem
    Hero
    danishmend
    Religion
    is a private matter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,250
    Given: 19,152

1 Not allowed!

civilization doesn't need most things it has.

Elder of Zyklon Prisoner Of Ice's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-27-2015 @ 05:53 PM
    Ethnicity
    Neanderthal
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Trondelag
    Religion
    Blond Jesus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19,981
    Given: 24,682

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
    Nope, HRE times the church stopped countless wars. How else did dozens of tiny countries maintain independence so long? Religion is not a cult, Islam is a cult communism is a cult. Buddhism and christianity stop wars not start them. Before that the wars that were waged resulted in total population wipeouts.
    Out Of Africa Theory is a lie.
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...88#post3431588
    And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information