Nord-Mittelsinid + Tungid
    Religion
    Daēnā Vaŋuhi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 791
    Given: 463

2 Not allowed!

Default Similarities between China and European countries

I feel the strongest similarities are between Italians and Chinese.

Most people probably wouldn’t put Italy and China in the same cultural basket, but after years of observing people from both countries, I’ve noticed some unexpected similarities:

Celebration of eating—food is meant to be enjoyed in large quantities with large quantities of family and friends. You will never find an Italian or Chinese with an eating disorder.
    Relative lack of obesity compared to the US—if you go to Italy or China, you will not see fat people, probably because they’re locked up.
    Explosive tempers—and with it, a penchant for loud, endless arguing.
    Covert but underlying misogyny—women are allowed to have jobs but not allowed to be unattractive, overweight, or, if unmarried, over age 30.
    Kids live with their parents until they’re like 40—there is no reason to cook, clean, or do your own laundry when your mother happily does it all for you.
    * A love of food, the philosophy of eating to live. Both countries are well known for their diverse and esteemed cuisine, which is popular all over the world. Pasta and noodles/dumplings are similar.

* Ostentatious show of wealth: even here, a lot of houses owned by Italians or Chinese are often gaudily ostentatious. For instance, Italians and Chinese like things like fake marble and gold to make them appear richer than they are.

* As mentioned, traditionally patriarchal but with strong female figures, especially the mother/mother in law/matriarch, and on the other side quite matriarchal.

* Marco Polo was the first European to visit China. For a long time there was a belief that pasta was brought back from China although many doubt this now.

* Both are now at least very direct, and often business-like, although at the same time stereotyped as being conniving and deceitful.

* As mentioned, both can be hot-tempered (contrary to stereotypes about the Chinese).

* Both have contributed a great deal to the world in terms of inventors, artists.etc.

* Both are pretty family-orientated, at least traditionally in the case of China. Partly for this reason both the Mafia and various Clans and other family-based criminal organisations such as the Triads thrived in places like Sicily and Guangdong, Shanghai.etc.

* Despite both being in the top 5 visited countries in the world, they are pretty insular with their culture.

* Of course both are heirs to the Roman Empire and Han Chinese Empire, which are remarkably similar. Both covered a similar area and both had a similar population at their height of about 50-60 million.

* Both sort of consider themselves the 'centre of the world' and are very proud of their past achievements spanning from ancient times. They consider themselves culturally superior to many of their neighbours, whom they believe merely derived a lot of their culture from them (e.g. France and Japan).

* Many immigrated to new world countries to be market gardeners and in the case of the Chinese during the gold rush.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...#ixzz3V5RpyPk7
    http://themandarinschool.com/wordpress/?p=119

Ever since I fell in love with an Italian, I’ve started building my case for this theory: that although Italy and China on the surface couldn’t appear more dissimilar, many cultural values each country holds dear are remarkably close. I actually love thinking about this topic, since I have a huge affinity for both cultures, and my interaction with both Chinese and Italian culture have irrevocably shaped my life’s path.

It’s important to note that culture is often compared to an iceberg. What’s visible is merely a tiny fraction of the whole entity, and it’s what is below the waterline that is likely to cause a horrendous impact.

Historically, there is a great deal of common ground for my theory. Both Italy and China are ancient civilizations, responsible for structures and inventions that still shape our modern societies. And at least one historian, Gavin Menzies, claims that the Chinese “sparked the Italian Renaissance and that Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions were directly influenced by Chinese technical drawings.” And in more recent history, both cultures have experienced totalitarian regimes.

Certainly, what I would call the “external expressions” of Italian and Chinese culture appear radically different. Consider the architecture, music, food, and certainly, religion and personal expression. Consider the stereotypical gregarious and affectionate Italian, vs the calm and stoic Chinese. Even the commonly held myth that Marco Polo brought pasta from China and introduced it to Italy has been debunked, thanks to documents predating his trip (such as a will and testament that bequeath pasta to a fortunate relative).

Yet still, consider the importance of food to each culture. In my life, I have only ever been scolded at a Chinese or Italian restaurant – these cultures take everything involving their food so seriously. They know the way, after millennia, how their food must be prepared, so don’t bother asking for olive oil with your bread in Italy, or for pork-free ma-po dofu in China. And food is the ultimate social tool – you take time to savor these meals, and to cherish them with the people who are closest to you.

Speaking of which, family and relationships are paramount. In both cultures, whom you know means everything. I’ve been told in Rome, it is simply not possible to get a job without an insider connection, and once you know the right person, you’ve got it. In China, business is conducted on the strength of the relationships (guanxi) you possess. On a darker note, both Italy and China have birthed feared organized crime syndicates – the Mafia (Sicily)/Camorra (Napoli), and Triads in China. In both countries, the organizations were originally conceived as de facto resistance/rebel forces.

Hierarchy and position in both societies are taken very seriously, and it is expected in both cultures to use formal titles, unlike our “low-hierarchy” North American culture where first names, regardless of status, are far more common. And cultivating “face,” one’s external presentation to the world is embraced in both cultures – where a great deal of emphasis is placed on well-known status symbols – such as the right watch, and the right car. Interestingly, the Chinese are now one of the top consumers of luxury products in the world – many of which are Italian labels such as Lamborghini, Prada and Versace.

One other area where I see a striking similarity is in the Italian and Chinese approach to rules. In North America we have a rather rigid approach to rules. It’s simple – people who follow rules and laws are respected. People who break or circumvent them are criminals and worthy of contempt. Our attitude seems well and just, but consider the luxury that allows it to be so. In culture, its important to avoid a stance of “this is what we do, therefore it’s right; and anything different is wrong.” In Canada and the US, what are our options when we feel that a rule/law is unjust? We have many. We can vote someone in or out of office, start a march, create an advocacy group, write letters to the editor, organize a protest, etc. etc. etc. In Italy, the bureaucratic process to simply pay a bill is crushing (I was told by an acquaintance here that a TV cable company would only cancel his service if he produced a death certificate). For centuries, Italians have found creative ways to get around the laws on the books, and all agree that not to do so would be impossible to live. In China, there is a saying, “the mountains are high and the emperor is far away,” and again, it is widely acknowledged that to survive one must understand how to circumvent rules. In both countries, being a scoff law is not only tolerated, it is respected. This is a very challenging aspect for North Americans conducting business in China, but it can be helpful to be aware that this is an issue, and to understand the reason why.

So, what do you think of this theory? Last week, I was gratified to meet a British woman who was transferred to Italy after working in Asia, as her employer felt that her time in Asia gave her the culture skill set to succeed in Italy.
    But I hear Northern Italians are much more reserved and quiet, but that also describes people from the Lower Yangtze region south of the river.

Makes sense since both established their own empires - Roman Empire and Chinese Empire and left lasting legacies.

Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 02:14 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28,799
    Given: 25,904

1 Not allowed!

Well, China is the Asian equivalent of the Roman Empire unifying all of Europe and staying a united political and cultural state until this modern day. China is larger than Europe is (minus Russia), and it is the unification of many once diverse and very different Asian states.

Last Online
    08-11-2022 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    White-American
    Ancestry
    Bell Beaker + Corded Ware
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 780
    Given: 275

1 Not allowed!

Well both west Romans, Italians, and east Romans, Chinese, are the most civilized of all the races.

Last Online
    08-11-2022 @ 02:18 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Anglo-Germanic
    Ethnicity
    White-American
    Ancestry
    Bell Beaker + Corded Ware
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b
    Religion
    Catholicism
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 780
    Given: 275

0 Not allowed!

Both west Romans and east Romans are the envy of all the inferior races of this world.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sockorer View Post
    Well both west Romans, Italians, and east Romans, Chinese, are the most civilized of all the races.
    Perhaps ones with the longest histories. But in terms of behavior, I'd probably say that the Scandinavians are the most civilized in Europe, and the Japanese in Asia. Although both cases are more recent phenomena arising in the last century or two due to high living standards and education.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 06:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Roman
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 6

0 Not allowed!

Yeah both Italians and East Asians have very high IQs and similar business oriented cultures.

Both are quite pragmatic and hard working.

I personally know that there are many mixed couples Italian-Chinese or Italian-Japanese around.

Little Italy in NY is half Chinese and half Italian.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Sinid
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese
    Ancestry
    The Celestial Empire
    Country
    United States
    Region
    California
    mtDNA
    You can mtDNA this!
    Taxonomy
    Nordsinid/Tungid
    Hero
    Yo momma last night
    Thumbs Up

3 Not allowed!

FME, Italians (esp Sicilians) are similar to Cantonese (majority of Chinese Americans).

Family oriented, business oriented, clannish, boisterous and food centric.

Banned
    Last Online
    03-29-2015 @ 06:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Romance
    Ethnicity
    Roman
    Country
    Italy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 6

2 Not allowed!

Most Chinese people in Italy come from the province of Zhejiang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Italy

Last Online
    03-13-2023 @ 08:30 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Northeast Asian Sinitic
    Ethnicity
    Han Chinese (Eastern)
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York City
    Y-DNA
    O3a1c*
    mtDNA
    D4b2b
    Taxonomy
    Nord-Mittelsinid + Tungid
    Religion
    Daēnā Vaŋuhi
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 791
    Given: 463

3 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post
    FME, Italians (esp Sicilians) are similar to Cantonese (majority of Chinese Americans).

True, Cantonese are known to have rather discerning tastes. Most other food tastes rather bland to them because they're so used to their own Cantonese food. I would add that some other neighboring south Chinese groups are similar to other southern Italians.

We're more reserved, quiet and distant so that would mean we're more similar to Northern Italians but that might be because of heavy urbanization, higher wealth and denser population. While our closest neighbors to the north are less like us in behavior, similar phenotype and genetics but vastly different culture, more likely because they're less wealthy and more rural. Compared to us, they're more stubborn, loud and boisterous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    Most Chinese people in Italy come from the province of Zhejiang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_people_in_Italy
    Most likely from the southeastern part. Also common in much of Europe. My ancestry is mostly from the northern part of the province but I might have some minor ancestry from there myself. I don't know anything else other than they passed through there at some point. In terms of culture, they're quite different than us.

Last Online
    01-20-2023 @ 04:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by zhaoyun View Post

I agree. Loud, gossipy, cheerful, expressive, family oriented peoples. Food and Family are central to both. Cantonese and other Southern Chinese groups like the Fujianese are similar to Southern Italians in a lot of ways. In the US, most of the Chinese immigrants in San Francisco and New York are from rural Southeastern China and most Italian immigrants in North America are from rural areas in Southern Italy. They are very clannish in that they are very loyal to their hometowns and when they move overseas their hearts and minds are still there and often when they get old think about retiring in those places. They also have peculiar dialects that they like to keep that are specific to their home areas. Within Cantonese/Yue, you have the dialects of Toisan, Hoiping, Zhongshan, and Shunde as well as the standard dialects of Hong Kong and Guangzhou and within Guangzhou you have the Xiguan dialect and what not. What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information