Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Estonians ! What are they like ?

Last Online
    01-29-2017 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,930
    Given: 1,607

0 Not allowed!

Default Estonians ! What are they like ?

So I have a friend who is of Russian and Estonian descent, however he looks very Russian.
    So i've made this thread to find out more about Estonians, I know they are an "endangered" ethnicity ( There only 1,000,000 of them worldwide ) and have been conquered many times by various nations. So i'm very curious about them.

What is their culture like ?
    Do they have a unique look, or do they resemble Finns ?
    Have they mixed heavily with Russians, meaning do they look Russian/Slavic on average ?
    What is their stereotype and personality ? My friend tells me they are very cold and have a Scandinavian atitude, is this true ?
    Can a Finnish person understand Estonian ?

Im geniuely curious I have literally no idea about these European peoples only that they speak a Finno-Ugric language and are one of the Baltic states.
    Please post information and pictures of Estonians and answer my questions !

Thanks.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Their flag is pretty badass I must say, it comes from a typical estonian landscape, I think.

Beautiful.

account terminated.
    Last Online
    09-18-2023 @ 03:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Country
    Abkhazia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52,724
    Given: 43,633

2 Not allowed!

Estonians themselves and people near, familliar with the country can give you the best answer. What a coincidence, I was reading a geography book about Northern Europe yeasterday, and can translate few bits from it:

The people: ''Estonia has smallest population among all countries of the former USSR. Around 68 percent of population are ethnic Estonians. Russians form a significant minority with around 25 percent of population. There are also Ukrainian, Belarussian, Finnish and Latvian communities. After the indipendence, Estonian authorities demanded knowldge of Estonian language as condition to gain cititzenship, by passing language test. This was based on law from 1993. Eastonian is Finno-Ugric language, with two dialects- north Estonian and south Estonian. As small nation, Estonians typically connect their national identity with their mother tounge. Estonian is simmilar to Finnish, and shows some affinity to Hungarian language.''

Estonians: Proud people of few words and nature lovers
    ''Many Estonians chose life in the countryside, and are traditionally seen as proud, quiet, reserved and stubborn people. Maybe that is the reason why after centuries of foreign opression, they menaged to keep their identity and archive indipendence. Estonian does not respect anyone based on his political or social standing. Every attempt to force authority on the people is welcomed with dispasal.''

This is from Croatian book, and would be interesting if Estonans would agree with such description or not. I have met three Estonians in my life, and guy was platinum blonde, one girl a redhead and other brunette. They were good looking people, and hard to approach. Other than that, Tallinn is very beautiful city, and historical center is under UNESCO Protection. They are a rising IT force. This is what I know.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-05-2021 @ 05:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Boolgar
    Country
    European Union
    Y-DNA
    I2a1a2b (I-L621)
    mtDNA
    H3
    Taxonomy
    Paleo Atlantid (actually Dinarid + Westbaltid parents)
    Hero
    Database error
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17,778
    Given: 1,799

1 Not allowed!

Estonians are much closer to Balto-Slavs than Scandinavians.By looks they are largely Baltid and also they have around 30% Native Russian speakers.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Thanks very much for your answer the guy I know, is always very depressed , this is an Estonian trait aswell so I hear.
    He was brought up there but still I see him more as a Russian than anything else, hes short(ish) 175cm and has dark hair with that stereotypcial Russian face.

Banned
    Last Online
    11-19-2018 @ 01:20 PM
    Ethnicity
    Chilean
    Ancestry
    1/2 Spaniard - 1/4 Mapuche - 1/8 Irish - 1/8 Jewish
    Country
    Chile
    Politics
    Centre-right
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,139
    Given: 800

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanPower View Post
    So I have a friend who is of Russian and Estonian descent, however he looks very Russian.
    So i've made this thread to find out more about Estonians, I know they are an "endangered" ethnicity ( There only 1,000,000 of them worldwide ) and have been conquered many times by various nations. So i'm very curious about them.

What is their culture like ?
    Do they have a unique look, or do they resemble Finns ?
    Have they mixed heavily with Russians, meaning do they look Russian/Slavic on average ?
    What is their stereotype and personality ? My friend tells me they are very cold and have a Scandinavian atitude, is this true ?
    Can a Finnish person understand Estonian ?

Im geniuely curious I have literally no idea about these European peoples only that they speak a Finno-Ugric language and are one of the Baltic states.
    Please post information and pictures of Estonians and answer my questions !

Thanks.
    I've been to both Tallinn and Tartu and I've got a Estonian friend, so I can answer a few of them.

Their culture is very unique, because they've been conquered by Swedes, Germans, Russians and now they've got a free market economy. As a result, first, Estonians are very traumatised by this and therefore don't really trust foreigners, especially Russians. Second, their architecture is a huge mix of Nordic, German, Communist and Capitalist influence.

I thought they were quite serious, depressed-looking. Finns also gave me that impression. They really like to drink, especially vodka.

Youngsters are more "open" I'd say, and a lot of them get really bored in Estonia.. so many wanna live abroad. Estonian life to me seemed quite monotonous, especially if you don't live in Tallinn. It's a very modern country though, fairly developed. It seemed to me similar to Chile in terms of development but a lot more equal, so I didn't see anything fancy like you can see in Chile, but I didn't see that much poverty either.. just plenty of blocks.

There's a big Russian minority and they've got their own neighbourhoods where they speak Russian, signs are in Russians, etc. I guess Russians are kind of "the Mexicans" of Estonia from an American POV. Physically Estonia has many blondes, a lot of Nordic looking people but their bone structure is different, less "long" and more robust I guess.. some of them have Tartar influence, especially if they've got Russian ancestry.

I thought they kind of resembled Finns but they're more attractive on average. Less fat people as well.

They're cold as Finns are. I don't think they resemble Scandinavians. I've been in Copenhagen and Stockholm as well.. and people didn't seem to me as cold as people from Helsinki/Tallinn. They're very nice though, don't get me wrong.. it was just weird to see people being so cold, coming from South America and having lived in Brighton, England where everyone is constantly happy.

The country is extremely cheap compared to the other Northern countries (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, etc.). Tallinn's "Old Town" is beautiful, really nice, and good to party at night.

Umm I don't know what else to say.. you can ask anything

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Bump !

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    _
    Country
    European Union
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brighton View Post
    I've been to both Tallinn and Tartu and I've got a Estonian friend, so I can answer a few of them.

Their culture is very unique, because they've been conquered by Swedes, Germans, Russians and now they've got a free market economy. As a result, first, Estonians are very traumatised by this and therefore don't really trust foreigners, especially Russians. Second, their architecture is a huge mix of Nordic, German, Communist and Capitalist influence.

I thought they were quite serious, depressed-looking. Finns also gave me that impression. They really like to drink, especially vodka.

Youngsters are more "open" I'd say, and a lot of them get really bored in Estonia.. so many wanna live abroad. Estonian life to me seemed quite monotonous, especially if you don't live in Tallinn. It's a very modern country though, fairly developed. It seemed to me similar to Chile in terms of development but a lot more equal, so I didn't see anything fancy like you can see in Chile, but I didn't see that much poverty either.. just plenty of blocks.

There's a big Russian minority and they've got their own neighbourhoods where they speak Russian, signs are in Russians, etc. I guess Russians are kind of "the Mexicans" of Estonia from an American POV. Physically Estonia has many blondes, a lot of Nordic looking people but their bone structure is different, less "long" and more robust I guess.. some of them have Tartar influence, especially if they've got Russian ancestry.

I thought they kind of resembled Finns but they're more attractive on average. Less fat people as well.

They're cold as Finns are. I don't think they resemble Scandinavians. I've been in Copenhagen and Stockholm as well.. and people didn't seem to me as cold as people from Helsinki/Tallinn. They're very nice though, don't get me wrong.. it was just weird to see people being so cold, coming from South America and having lived in Brighton, England where everyone is constantly happy.

The country is extremely cheap compared to the other Northern countries (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, etc.). Tallinn's "Old Town" is beautiful, really nice, and good to party at night.

Umm I don't know what else to say.. you can ask anything
    Very interesting learned a lot, thanks.

So what youre saying is their phenotype is like a mixture between Baltic and Nordic, like if you were to mix a Swede with a Russian ?
    Are the Russians there usually upper-class or lower-class ?
    And the women I hear theyre beautiful, is this correct ?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    09-16-2015 @ 10:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Knight
    Ethnicity
    Humanoid
    Ancestry
    Space
    Country
    Australia
    Region