Germany,Italy, England,Sweden France,
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default standard Jamaican english

taken from wiki, i meet so may people outside of Jamaica who think that people who speak standard Jamaican english must be from some other place unless they speak patwa,

Jamaican English or Jamaican Standard English is a dialect of English spoken in Jamaica. It melds parts of both American English and British English dialects. Typically it uses British English spellings and often rejects American English spellings.[1]

Although the distinction between the two is best described as a continuum rather than a solid line,[2] it is not to be confused with Jamaican Patois (what linguists call Jamaican Creole), nor with the vocabulary and language usage of the Rastafari movement.[3] ("Patois" or Patwa is a French term referring to regional languages of France, which include some Creole languages, but in Jamaica it refers to Jamaican Creole, which Jamaicans have traditionally seen as "broken" or incorrect Standard English).
    Contents
    [hide]

* 1 Grammar
    * 2 Vocabulary
    * 3 Pronunciation
    * 4 Language use: Standard versus Patois
    * 5 See also
    * 6 References

[edit] Grammar

Jamaican Standard English is grammatically similar to British Standard English (see British English). Recently, however, due to Jamaica's proximity to the United States and the resulting close economic ties and high rates of migration (as well as the ubiquity of American cultural/entertainment products such as movies, cable television and popular music) the influence of American English has been increasing steadily. As a result, structures like "I don't have" or "you don't need" are almost universally preferred over "I haven't got" or "you needn't".
    [edit] Vocabulary

The Irish accent is a major influence on the accent of Jamaican English today[citation needed]. Recent American influence is also obvious in the lexicon (babies sleep in "cribs" and wear "diapers" [or "pampers"]; some people live in "apartments" or "townhouses", for example). Generally, older vocabulary tends to be British (babies wear "nappies", not "diapers"; cars have "bonnets" and "windscreens"; children study "maths", use "rubbers" to erase their mistakes and wish they were on "holiday"), while newer phenomena are typically "imported" together with their American names.

An interesting use of mixed British and American vocabulary is with automobiles, where the American term "trunk" is almost universally used instead of the British term "boot", the British word "sleeping policeman" is used instead of the American word "Speed Bump”, while the engine covering is always referred to by the British term "bonnet". This is probably because the American term, "hood", is used in Jamaica as a vulgar slang for penis. [4]

Naturally, Jamaican Standard also uses many local words borrowed from Jamaican Patois, such as "duppy" for "ghost"; "higgler" for "informal vendor"; and some terms for local foods, like "ackee", "callaloo", "guinep", and "bammy".
    [edit] Pronunciation

Jamaican Standard pronunciation, while it differs greatly from Jamaican Patois pronunciation, is nevertheless recognizably Caribbean. Giveaway features include the characteristic pronunciation of the diphthong in words like "cow", which is more closed and rounded than in Received Pronunciation or General American; the pronunciation of the strut vowel /ʌ/ (again, more closed than the RP or GenAm version, though not as closed as in the Creole); semi-rhoticity, i.e. the dropping of the "-r" in words like "water" (at the end of unstressed syllables) and "market" (before a consonant); but not in words like "car" or "dare" (stressed syllables at the end of the word). Merger of the diphthongs in "fair" and "fear" takes place both in Jamaican Standard and Jamaican Patois, resulting in those two words (and many others, like "bear" and "beer") becoming homophones. (Standard speakers typically pronounce both closer to "air", while Creole speakers render them as "ear"). The short "a" sound (man, hat) is very open, similar to its Irish versions.
    [edit] Language use: Standard versus Patois

Jamaican Standard and Jamaican Patois exist together in a post-creole speech continuum. Creole is used by most people for everyday, informal situations - it's the language most Jamaicans use at home and are most familiar with; it's also the language of most local popular music. Standard, on the other hand, is the language of education, high culture, government, the media and official/formal communications. It is also the native language of a small minority of Jamaicans (typically upper class and upper/traditional middle class). Most Creole-dominant speakers have a fair command of Standard English, through schooling and exposure to official culture and mass media; their receptive skills (understanding of Standard English) are typically much better than their productive skills (their own intended Standard English statements often show signs of Creole interference).

Most writing in Jamaica is done in Standard English (including private notes and correspondence). Jamaican Patois has no standardized spelling,[5] and has only recently been taught in some schools. As a result, the majority of Jamaicans can read and write Standard English only, and have trouble deciphering written dialect (in which the writer tries to reflect characteristic structures and pronunciations to differing degrees, without compromising readability). Written Patois appears mostly in literature, especially in folkloristic "dialect poems"; in humoristic newspaper columns; and most recently, on internet chat sites frequented by younger Jamaicans, who seem to have a more positive attitude toward their own language use than their parents.[6]

While, for the sake of simplicity, it is customary to describe Jamaican speech in terms of Standard versus Creole, a clear-cut dichotomy does not adequately describe the actual language use of most Jamaicans. Between the two extremes -"broad Patois" on one end of the spectrum, and "perfect" Standard on the other - there are various in-between varieties. This situation typically results when a Creole language is in constant contact with its standard (superstrate or lexifier language) and is called a creole speech continuum. The least prestigious (most Creole) variety is called the basilect; the Standard (or high prestige) variety the acrolect; and in-between versions are known as mesolects.

Consider, for example, the following forms:

* "im ah wok oba deh suh" (basilect)
    * "im workin ova deh suh" (low mesolect)
    * "(H)e (h)is workin' over dere" (high mesolect)
    * "He is working over there." (acrolect)

(As noted above, the "r" in "over" is not pronounced in any variety, but the one in "dere" or "there" is.)

Jamaicans choose from the varieties available to them according to the situation. A Creole-dominant speaker will choose a higher variety for formal occasions like official business or a wedding speech, and a lower one for relating to friends; a Standard-dominant speaker is likely to employ a lower variety when shopping at the market than at her workplace. Code-switching can also be metaphoric (e.g., a Standard-dominant speaker switching to a lower variety for humoristic purposes, or to express solidarity

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 10:08 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

example, so often people are accused of being irish, i have had heard americans and europeans say oh he must be a irish man hes white and listen to how he talks hes irish,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOb682uH5Rs

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

I find white Jamaicans sound a lot like the blacks, but the accent isn't as strong. I've met blacks with a similar accent too, so I'm assuming it is either regional or class-based and not racial (unlike the black-white accent difference in the US, American blacks have a distinct accent).

It's a nice accent though.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

i would say this boils down to education and not race so much.
    many people in Jamaica of many other races including blacks speak standard english as there first language in fact Jamaican english has more to do with white european influence than it does with african, but many people of more middle class and poor backgrounds favor patois i myself let some slip in more than once and awhile.
    but its the same as other countries patwa is the slang for non formal occasions and standard english is for proper situations, so some people favor slang others favor proper english.

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    I find white Jamaicans sound a lot like the blacks, but the accent isn't as strong. I've met blacks with a similar accent too, so I'm assuming it is regional and not racial (unlike the black-white accent difference in the US, American blacks have a distinct accent).

It's a nice accent though.

NO! Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Feline
    Ethnicity
    Snowshoe
    Country
    Canada
    Politics
    I voted once, it was horrible
    Religion
    All my 9 lives are devoid of meaning
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by blan View Post
    i would say this boils down to education and not race so much.
    many people in Jamaica of many other races including blacks speak standard english as there first language in fact Jamaican english has more to do with white european influence than it does with african, but many people of more middle class and poor backgrounds favor patois i myself let some slip in more than once and awhile.
    but its the same as other countries patwa is the slang for non formal occasions and standard english is for proper situations, so some people favor slang others favor proper english.
    I find that white guy in the video you posted kind of had an African vibe in his accent. Not so much, but it's there. I still like the accent, though.

Do many whites in Jamaica speak Patwa?

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    germanic/Latin
    Ethnicity
    White CARIBBEAN
    Ancestry
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

micheal manley, he was actually near white but had a black grandfather.
    If you are talking about the other vid i posted from the mad white Jamaican than yes he was speaking a bit of patwa in that vid.
    there are whites that speak patwa.
    All Jamaicans know patwa and most use it in causal situations but there are some who rarely use it and like i said favor standard english.

Quote Originally Posted by AcadianDriftwood View Post
    I find that white guy in the video you posted kind of had an African vibe in his accent. Not so much, but it's there. I still like the accent, though.

Do many whites in Jamaica speak Patwa?

Thread Information