Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do some people never seem to get fat?

Lady Josephine Sheba of Lancaster Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    10-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM
    South Coast NSW - My anti gun toting Utopian paradise!
    Meta-Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Ethnicity
    AngloAustralian
    Ancestry
    Ireland, Scotland, England, Malta & Prussia - from last 200 years
    Country
    Australia
    Region
    New South Wales
    Taxonomy
    Keltic/Nordid & Bruenn
    Politics
    Libertarian, with centrist views
    Religion
    Heathen/Shaman
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Heh, I thought I was one of those people for a long time too. However, once I hit 24 my metabolism slowed noticeably; now I just have to work a bit harder to keep my weight constant.
    LOL You have to work 10 times as hard once you're past 40. If it weren't for my being on the go so much and watching what I eat, I'd be a blimp!

Last Online
    04-25-2015 @ 06:06 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic/Celtic
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

0 Not allowed!

Some people can eat terrible food and not have heart disease or get fat.

Not everyone is that lucky though. Personally I ate whatever I wanted (which was a lot) and never went over 150 lbs (I'm 6'1") for a long while. I am not fat now, but I have to watch more carefully than before, I probably could get big if I didn't exercise anymore. I don't have hypertension or high cholesterol now, but then I eat a lot better than I used to. I guess I am normal now.

There was a news show about a village in Italy that was inhabited by the Bau family that has the "eat anything" gene. The Bau's are supposed to be of Danish origin. I doubt that I was lucky enough to get that gene though.

Here is the first few minutes of the show:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFzYtMym2Fo[/YOUTUBE]

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-06-2013 @ 07:33 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92

0 Not allowed!

Default Why Are Thin People Not Fat?

The world is affected by an obesity epidemic, but why is it that not everyone is succumbing? Medical science has been obsessed with this subject and is coming up with some unexpected answers. As it turns out, it is not all about exercise and diet. At the centre of this programme is a controversial overeating experiment that aims to identify exactly what it is about some people that makes it hard for them to bulk up.
    Spoiler!
    [SPOILER=La fîntînă la mocrină][YOUTUBE]ecSLcemo3dI[/YOUTUBE][/SPOILER]

Gone Gone Gone - That´s All Folks
    Last Online
    08-19-2011 @ 04:15 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

0 Not allowed!

I guess I´m one of those people. As an example I can eat a shitload of food (not literally ) in the evening before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning I basically have a freaking dent in my stomach and I find myself very hungry and ready for round two. My mom and brother are the same.

Senior Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    08-13-2021 @ 01:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    American of German descent
    Ancestry
    L. Saxony, Westphalia, Hesse, Baden-Wurtemberg, Bavaria, Saxony, Switerzerland, Bohemia, Galizien
    Country
    United States
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b (I-M423)
    mtDNA
    T2f1
    Taxonomy
    Faelid
    Religion
    Christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 311

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Daos
    [YOUTUBE]CuX2VycPzwM[/YOUTUBE]
    It is interesting that adenovirus infections can stimulate the growth of individual fat cells and result in fat tissue gain.

One my family's cats was infected some years ago with an unknown virus. This resulted in an acute case of hepatitis; also, he gained an enormous amount of fat tissue [in a very short period of time] that he was not able to lose. Perhaps this was a similar phenomenon.

Last Online
    12-07-2018 @ 10:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

I don't believe any of this. None of it is even slightly proven; it all relies on 'experiments' conducted on a few subjects outside of a lab with no controls and improper monitoring or weak statistical studies of the type that return just about any answer depending on how you look at them. Most doctors and suchlike do not believe these either.

Why are they popular? They tie in with popular myths, excuse the greedy and gluttonous and make the thin feel naturally gifted. Everyone wins by believing them especially the particularly weak research scientist who wants funding and headlines.

The truth is simple. Metabolic rates vary but only because people's rate of physical exertion and body mass vary. Clearly the more body you have and the more you move the more energy you must burn. If you think you have a higher than average metabolism but move less and/or are smaller than average then where does all that energy go?

The large calorie, kilogram calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal)[2] approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 °C. This is exactly 1000 small calories or about 4.2 kilojoules.

You think you are sitting there and burning more calories than average, you must be very hot. Conversely if you think you are sitting there and burning less you must be very cold. Since a 2 degree variance in core body temperature can kill you, I'd watch it because you might die.

Now when you get old your muscle mass depletes and naturally you become less active. When you talk on the phone you might not pace back and forth jumping so often in excitement. This makes a real difference. Yet essentially all it means is that you become smaller and lazier with age; no surprise there.

Food craving or hunger, as Savant will tell you, is caused in large part by the dopamine it releases in your brain. As with any craving: sex, crack or gambling; people do experience this differently. Nonetheless since food like crack is affecting you directly via the sugar it is unlikely most people differ very much in the way they react to it. If your dopamine levels are naturally low then you will probably be more susceptible to overeating but if they are very low you are also severely mentally ill. Instead overeating is caused by overeating. Just as smoking crack is caused by smoking crack. When you go through a period of a eating a lot, as often I have to due to very high physical exertion, you notice that your appetite massively increases and you need to fight those added cravings for some time afterwards to return it to a reasonable state and not end up fat.

Ultimately these myths are harmful. If you believe in them then they become true. Dieting and exercise require plenty of motivation, nothing will sap your motivation as much as believing they will not work.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    12-12-2020 @ 01:48 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

0 Not allowed!

Faster metabolism which helps them to get away the harmful substances out of their body. Of course this doesnt' mean that they're not having fat on their bodies.

Being fat could be seen by different ways. The physical one and the other which we cant be sure about.
    Even fat doesnt show up on the external body, it can appears on little accumulations in different body parts, like ears, eyebows, fingers and arteries.

It's also a genetic fact..

The question is: What do you prefer? Get fat on your arms or get fat on your arteries?...

Last Online
    11-22-2013 @ 09:56 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    True Occidental
    Ethnicity
    True Westerner European
    Ancestry
    La Rioja, Galizia, Swabia...
    Country
    Spain
    Taxonomy
    Osterdal
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 217

0 Not allowed!

ectomorph like

Progressive Collectivist Agrippa's Avatar
    Last Online
    01-17-2012 @ 01:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    German
    Taxonomy
    Atlantid
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 364

0 Not allowed!

Ultimately these myths are harmful. If you believe in them then they become true. Dieting and exercise require plenty of motivation, nothing will sap your motivation as much as believing they will not work.
    That's true, but it is completely wrong to say people have the same preconditions for staying thin or growing fat. There are huge genetic and environmental influences which are in no way controllable in a conscious way by the person.

You just have to look at the extremely obese people and you will see that they have average clear physical markers different from the average population, strongly genetic or at least prenatally determined.

In fact, there are different variants like described in the documentary based on different factors from genetics to the environment.

That is no myth, it is the truth and you can't generalise, because there are individual cases.

There are obvious even racial differences, which can't be denied - just compare Polynesids and Alpinids with Aethiopids to make my point clear.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 01-07-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Last Online
    12-07-2018 @ 10:26 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    British
    Ethnicity
    English
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    England
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by liia View Post
    Faster metabolism which helps them to get away the harmful substances out of their body. Of course this doesnt' mean that they're not having fat on their bodies.

Being fat could be seen by different ways. The physical one and the other which we cant be sure about.
    Even fat doesnt show up on the external body, it can appears on little accumulations in different body parts, like ears, eyebows, fingers and arteries.

It's also a genetic fact..

The question is: What do you prefer? Get fat on your arms or get fat on your arteries?...
    There is massive racial variation here. Simply put: Blacks have a high level of visceral fat (internal) and muscles therefore more external; Whites have it the other way round. Ultimately higher visceral fat is worse for your health (diabetes etc.) but arguably more external musculature is more aesthetically pleasing.

No doubt this is caused by White muscles needing to stay warm in cold climate and so are insulated by a layer of fat whilst in Blacks the muscles needed to stay cool and so are outside the fat as close to the air as possible.

A meta-analysis was performed in order to test the hypothesis that Japanese have a greater amount of abdominal visceral fat (AVF) relative to abdominal subcutaneous fat (ASF) than Caucasians. Data were derived from published studies that included mean values for AVF and ASF areas, measured using computed tomography, and age for native Japanese, African-Americans, and Caucasians of both genders. Mean values from each study were used as single data points. A significant difference in AVF was observed between Japanese and Caucasian populations after adjusting for ASF, age, and sex (p<0.05). However, the difference in AVF between Japanese and Caucasian females was lower than that between African-American and Caucasian females.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/hc2t1bm58l4xgend/

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information