12 unexpected images from Afghanistan

Source: http://matadornetwork.com/notebook/1...s-afghanistan/

Since the 1970s, military conflict has devastated much of Afghanistan. Yet, even the most well-read and traveled of us often forget that during years of warfare, life goes on. Here are 12 images of Afghanistan which show a different side of the country than what is perpetuated by mass media.

White pigeons

The famed white pigeons at the Shrine of Hazrat Ali in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan, are fed by a visiting pilgrim.

Skaters

Sarhad e Boghil, Wakhan Corridor, Badahkshan

Afghan girls

Street children play outside the Karte Sakhi mosque.

Another Afghanistan

Ikhbal

"Ikhbal is getting her hair done. She is probably 16, although no one really keeps track of birth dates here. Soon, she will wear the white veil identifying her as a married woman and move to her husband's settlement, a couple of days away on horse back. Her aunt holds her hand. The emotion of soon leaving the family nest and the anxiety of moving in with her future husband (she has met him before) brings Ikhbal to tears. Head down, she cries. This was probably one of the most emotional moment I witnessed during my many trips to Afghanistan's Pamir."

Nimroz province, southern Afghanistan

Horseback riding, Lake Qargha, Kabul.

Farmer

A farmer crossing his field, his shovel and rifle at hand. South of Kabul, Sarobi province, near the village of Botkhak.

Band-e-Amir

Afghan Kyrgyz

"Afghanistan's Pamir mountains, the family of the Khan - the tribal chief - move to their summer camp. I was very lucky to see this - Afghan Kyrgyz are semi-nomadic, usually living in 4 seasonal camps over the whole year."