Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Default Martial Arts Thread

Hopefully this is the right section for this, wasn't sure precisely where it would fit in as there is no sports/recreation section that I can see.

The purpose of this thread will be the discussion of martial arts, whether it be your own practices, or the discussion of past or upcoming martial arts events (UFC, Affliction, K-1, PRIDE (R.I.P.) or what have you), or pretty much anything martial arts related.

Since I don't appear to be the only GSP fan around here I suppose it wouldn't be too outlandish to bring up the topic of UFC 94 with GSP vs. B.J. Penn as the main event coming up next Saturday I'm pretty excited about this event, it feels like so long since GSP's last fight and I'm thinking he won't disappoint come the 31st. While B.J.'s certainly a skilled fighter he's pretty one dimensional when compared with GSP. One of the main differences between these two is that GSP actually has the strength and skill to take this fight wherever he wants it and B.J. will have to adapt. B.J.'ll definitely be a slippery opponent once taken to the ground since the guy's got the flexibility of a rubber band and very skilled in BJJ by all means, but I'm really curious to see how he'll to pan out against the new and improved GSP. Seriously, every time GSP comes out for a new fight he's more diverse, stronger, and tireless, a totally new fighter than in the last fight. The guy's physical conditioning is simply amazing, and with every match you see him grow in his ability to overpower any other fighter in the welterweight division. Honestly, he is the model of what a mixed martial artist should be, while many fighters like B.J. are stuck focusing the majority of their energy on one element.

Coming from a JKD background I find that MMA today (at least in the UFC) has strayed from its original purpose of diversity in fighting style. In Jeet we were always taught to learn and experience as many martial arts as possible, and that contributes to a fighter's skill, adaptability, and unpredictability, and its that element that really contributes to GSP's success. His technique is great both on and off the ground in at least five different styles, and he does not substitute technique for physical conditioning or viceversa. As far as I'm concerned this guy is the ideal mixed martial artist and that is why I'm fairly confident he'll be feeding B.J. back his own words.

Besides that match, I'm also looking forward to the Machida/Silva match. Machida's one of those guys that seems to piss the average UFC fan off due to his inability to "entertain", but I find it fascinating watching the guy. Also looking forward to the Parisyan match and the Nate Diaz/Guida match, and Fitch/Gono, Gamburyan/Tavares match on the undercard.

Considering this post has turned out far longer than I meant it to be, I'll leave tomorrows Fedor/Arlovski fight to another time. All I can say is I can't wait to see Fedor in action again, likely beating Arlovski (no disrespect to Arlovski though, that's for sure), and pissing Dana White off more

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-21-2010 @ 01:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    100% swedish, 0% German, 0% Russian, 0% Turk, 0% Ape
    Ethnicity
    Göte
    Region
    Goetaland
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

0 Not allowed!

Hmm, well as for martial arts I've done 3 things. Judo, Kung-fu and 15th century long sword fencing, the one I enjoyed the most was the later which I hope to be picking up again..

Well in the army we learned a bit of krav maga was extremely boring though

I also learned to shoot quite well both Assault rifle and Machinegun, this I think is as close you can come to proper martial art in this day and age

Banned
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Pennsylvania Dutch
    Region
    Pennsylvania
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

0 Not allowed!

I've no formal training, but I've looked up and practiced some basic self-defense techniques with my friends. Nothing serious or involved, just basics, how to take a gun from someone, how to defend against a knife.

I hope GSP wins. I cannot stand BJ. I also hope Arlovski wins just so everyone can stop calling Fedor god. I do like Fedor, but it's a bit ridiculous..

Inactive Account
    Last Online
    07-25-2011 @ 10:42 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Gone
    Ethnicity
    Gone
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

0 Not allowed!

This guy right here loves GSP, for obvious reasons.

He's going to destroy that Hawaiian retard and it's going to be beautiful violence. I'm also really excited about the fight between GSP and Anderson Silva that Dana announced. They're probably the two best strikers in the UFC and it'll be great to see who comes out on top.

As far as practice goes, I studied and taught Toas Kung Fu for eight years. It's a Persian style of martial arts that focuses on mid-range fighting and uses Savate-like push kicks. We also studies a wide variety of weapons and did tons of body hardening exercises.

Once I joined the Army, three and a half years ago, I started learning their Combatives style of martial arts, which is a blend of BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing and Wrestling. I got certified to teach this last years and have been a Company level trainer since then. I really don't care for the Army's stand up techniques, since they mainly focus on staying at the long-range and closing, similar to Boxing. But, I am very grateful that I've ben able to learn grappling and takedowns, which was something we didn't focus on at the Kung Fu Academy.

Gone fishing with Lutiferre SuuT's Avatar
    Last Online
    06-07-2010 @ 07:00 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian Beachbilly
    Ancestry
    Scandinavian
    Country
    United States
    Taxonomy
    Nordicised Faelid
    Politics
    MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn: Warrior Caste--> Goði Path
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

0 Not allowed!

Their is simply no comparision between Penn and GSP. Look for GSP to dominate on the ground (as he always does); or, even to leave the fight to a stand-up. - it doesn't really matter, as GSP is so fluid (indeed an exemplar of philosophical Jeet Koon Do) that he will adapt as the fight proceeds. Penn is far more 'geometric' in both his fighting style, and his application; although he can appear to the untrained eye as non-formulaic.

Sheer dominance will be the name of the game.

The fight between AS and GSP will, however, be GSP's first, and real, test of his fluidity: Silva is equally fluid; and is utterly un-intimidated. The intimidation factor is something GSP still battles with as a young man (cf. his first fight with Huges).
    Often, in our attempts to show people that they do not know what they believe they do, it is exposed that they lack any identity whatsoever - beyond the belief that they know anything at all.

A Wanderer Through Middle Earth YggsVinr's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-20-2012 @ 10:40 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Just finished watching the Fedor/Arlovski fight on onepunchko and all I can say is: wow. Fedor has done it again, and the victory shows the success his calm demeanor continues to bring him. Arlovski was successful sticking to the leg kicks and probably should have stuck to them instead of throwing that flying knee in the corner. If he'd continued with the leg kicks the outcome looked like it may have been different. Then again, the speed of that "offending" right punch and the left hook that followed were evidence that perhaps Arlovski's apparent speed advantage throughout the first was not exactly as it seemed.

Ulf, I understand what you say about people viewing Fedor as some kind of god, but the good thing about Fedor is he doesn't appear to let that get to his head or influence his composure or behaviour, unlike other fighters (thinking of guys like Lesnar who have barely had a handful of MMA bouts and who everyone believe to be undefeatable, and who's behaviour in the octagon following a victory suggests they think no less of themselves).

Since everyone else has put in their martial arts experiences: I started with about three years of Hapkido at 11 years old (strictly a kids club so quite easy to make one's way through the belt system). I also practiced medieval martial arts (comprised of longsword, dagger, and stand-up grappling) for four years and JKD for six (Inosanto school). Last year I took up capoeira (Axe) for a time. Really improved my flexibility, endurance, power, and control with credit to my crazy Russian trainer who (upon finding this out) pushed me all the harder. Right now with my last semester of undergrad I'm unable to practice much of anything beyond occasionally visiting the university's combat room, but hopefully next year I'll be able to start back up with JKD.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Anyone else see the fight last night? The two main events pretty much made my night. I'm really happy that GSP got the win, although I wish it'd been an actual KO rather than TKO. Still a fun fight to watch for sure, and it should be obvious to the world now that BJ is no match for Georges, and I don't think Alves (btw, keep hearing rumours that Alves got caught juicing...yet can't seem to get it confirmed? I know he was caught in 07 but recently? I really don't understand why mma fighters would even want to juice since it doesn't exactly enhance performance in mma) will be either.

Post-Fight Interview with GSP:

[YOUTUBE]http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_2KBoXmz454[/YOUTUBE]

The Machida fight was also pretty awesome, talk about timing! I don't think I've ever seen a KO quite like that right at 4:59! Seriously, I know Machida isn't an "entertaining fighter" to the average UFC fan that doesn't care about the art itself but just wants action, but for crying out loud give the guy a title shot. And if knocking out Thiago Silva at 4:59 of the first round isn't entertaining I don't know what is (granted this fight was a lot faster paced than a typical Machida fight)

Thoughts?

Last Online
    09-01-2015 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    white Colonial
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YggsVinr View Post
    I really don't understand why mma fighters would even want to juice since it doesn't exactly enhance performance in mma.
    They ban them for a reason and it aint the side effects.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    French
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Norman, West Frankish
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
    They ban them for a reason and it aint the side effects.
    What I meant is that in MMA steroids can be a hindrance rather than helpful. If you're trying to make weight and cutting, steroids, creatine and similar substances will cause you to retain water when most fighters are dehydrating themselves to all hell before the weigh-ins. Not to mention that the kind of muscle/bulk steroids as does not necessarily give a fighter an upper edge, slow you down, hinder flexibility, agility and so on. I can see it in other sports, but it doesn't seem to make sense in MMA. Then again, I'm no expert, so who knows, maybe I'm missing something here.

Last Online
    09-01-2015 @ 07:07 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    white Colonial
    Country
    Australia
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YggsVinr View Post
    What I meant is that in MMA steroids can be a hindrance rather than helpful. If you're trying to make weight and cutting, steroids, creatine and similar substances will cause you to retain water when most fighters are dehydrating themselves to all hell before the weigh-ins.
    There are ways of getting rid of excess water, diuretics, although they may be tested for those too, the trainers would be on top of that anyway.

Not to mention that the kind of muscle/bulk steroids as does not necessarily give a fighter an upper edge, slow you down, hinder flexibility, agility and so on. I can see it in other sports, but it doesn't seem to make sense in MMA. Then again, I'm no expert, so who knows, maybe I'm missing something here.
    Yes, you don't immediately take roids and puff up, presto, Arnie. That obviously isn't practical here. They would be taken specifically for this application, even blood doping which isn't actually roids would also give a edge in stamina and recovery. They would be the main aims and obviously affect the outcome.

If you have two fighters that are on par in every other way and one takes performance enhancing substance he will have the edge over the other, it's fairly simple.
    Last edited by Revenant; 02-01-2009 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information