William the Conqueror and William DeBurgh
    Religion
    atheist but ostensibly religious to rule over peasants
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,674
    Given: 16

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooding
    It's always good to be open to correction. Krauss was an excellent speaker and I'm looking forward to reading his book, " The Universe from Nothing" when I'm done with " The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking. Leonard Mlodinow also has a couple of books out I'm eager to try.
    Well, not only did Stephen Hawking say philosophy was obsolete in the book "The Grand Design" he also stated that the universe didn't need a God in order to come into existance in that same book. When you combine this with our knowledge of evolution then the god concept becomes totally superfluous and fails the test of the law of parsimony a.k.a Occam's Razor (a really important concept or rule of thumb in science) and raises more questions then it answers. That is why, in a very simplistic nutshell, it is stupid to believe in god etc.. I don't need to complicate things so I'll keep it easy to understand without technical minutiae and specialized nomenclature.

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Desaix DeBurgh View Post
    Well, not only did Stephen Hawking say philosophy was obsolete in the book "The Grand Design" he also stated that the universe didn't need a God in order to come into existance in that same book. When you combine this with our knowledge of evolution then the god concept becomes totally superfluous and fails the test of the law of parsimony a.k.a Occam's Razor (a really important concept or rule of thumb in science) and raises more questions then it answers. That is why, in a very simplistic nutshell, it is stupid to believe in god etc.. I don't need to complicate things so I'll keep it easy to understand without technical minutiae and specialized nomenclature.
    Occam's Razor is definitely a good starting point when examining the nature of the universe: http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...cams-razor.htm The universe ( multiverse) does seem to get on quite well on its own. I'm looking at M theory which might actually tie the universe together, but it's a superstring theory and I've heard of how unprovable string theories are. http://mkaku.org/home/articles/m-the...-superstrings/
    Last edited by Gooding; 06-23-2015 at 03:04 AM.

Last Online
    09-24-2016 @ 02:52 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    More human than human
    Ethnicity
    Norman aristocrat
    Ancestry
    French and various British isles
    Country
    United States
    Region
    New York
    Taxonomy
    Aristocratic body and facial profile
    Politics
    Feudalism ruled by Norman aristocrats
    Hero
    William the Conqueror and William DeBurgh
    Religion
    atheist but ostensibly religious to rule over peasants
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,674
    Given: 16

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by psychologytoday
    Why Are Religious People (Generally) Less Intelligent?
    Understanding the negative relationship between IQ and religiosity

(1) Intelligent people are generally more analytical and data-driven; formal religions are the antithesis: they are empirically fluffy and their claims are often in direct contradiction with scientific evidence, unless they are interpreted metaphorically – but maybe intelligent people are not that keen on metaphor. Another way of putting it is that people with a high IQ are more likely to have faith in science, which isn’t religion’s best friends (yes, yes, I do know about Einstein’s quotes).

(2) Intelligent people are less likely to conform, and, in most societies, religiosity is closer to the norm than atheism is. Although this interpretation is based on extrapolation, it still makes sense: first, smarter people tend to be less gullible; second, in most societies religious people outnumber atheists and agnostics - though global levels of religiosity have been declining (link is external), and there is substantial cultural variability (link is external) in religiosity levels.

(3) Intelligence and religiosity are “functionally equivalent”, which means that they fulfil the same psychological role. Although this intriguing argument contradicts points 1 and 2, it deserves serious consideration. Humans will always crave meaning. Religion – like science and logical reasoning – provides them with a comprehensive framework or system to make meaningful interpretations of the world. At times, religion and science are in conflict; but they can also act in concert, complementing each other to answer non-falsifiable and falsifiable questions, respectively. The authors conclude that some people satisfy their desire to find meaning via religion, whereas others do so via logical, analytical, or scientific reasoning – and IQ predicts whether you are in the former or latter group.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ss-intelligent

Life is good.
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    02-06-2022 @ 11:34 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celto- Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Colonial American
    Ancestry
    English, Scots- Irish, Cajun French
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Virginia
    Y-DNA
    I1- Z63
    mtDNA
    K2b1b
    Taxonomy
    Brunn, Kelto- Nordid
    Politics
    Center
    Hero
    Martin Luther, Martin Chemnitz
    Religion
    Lutheran Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,664
    Given: 10,470

0 Not allowed!

That's the thing, though. That's it. People are generally content to know what they know and not venture farther out. When you see that concepts such as God are empirically impossible to prove or disprove ( although easier to disprove), then you need to jettison a whole worldview in favor of what you've learned to be true. Of course, you could definitely look at things as metaphor and ask how certain things are possible literally, but with humanity at its current level of understanding, they go with what's comfortable for them rather than what's true.

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Dutch, German, French Huguenot, British
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44,917
    Given: 44,995

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Go right ahead, you're all invited

I do not believe in the existence of God. At the very least not a theistic one. Deism could be an acceptable alternative to me, though.
    Well...I made this thread 3 years ago, having atheistic thoughts and tendencies...quite strong ones at that. And now...what? Well, I can tell you that my views are 180 degrees different now.. and with much more conviction than in my atheist days. I know that I know that I know that Jesus is the One... That he is very much alive, that he involves himself intimately in our lives, and that he is coming very soon to change all things and establish his rule over earth with an iron sceptre. Jesus is alive!!
    Help support Apricity by making a donation

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophobicPrussian View Post
    Your first sentence assumes all humans are equal or equally smart. Less than 1 billion of those people are relevant in terms of critical thinking and intelligent conversation.

It's pretty simple, smart people aren't Religious, dumb people are, there's nothing else to it. The argument and statements of proof is already won.

It's pretty much irrelevant now in Europe, only America and some southern/eastern Euro countries are really holding the West back in terms of Religion. It's pretty irrelevant in north-east Asia too. It probably would've been gone eventually but with the influx of immigrants, Europe will be a Religious place again.
    You are wrong, buddy. Very wrong. Anyway, human intelligence is like nothing to God. That is why the Bible says he has chosen the foolish to confound the wise. Just so that men would not think they figured things out because they were smart. Some of the smartest people on earth miss the point, and are on their way to hell. Because nevermind their intelligent brains, their hearts were found to be full of deceit, and hence they are not able to see through the fog.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Român
    Country
    Romania
    Y-DNA
    R1a-Z280
    mtDNA
    H5b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,622
    Given: 2,429

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well...I made this thread 3 years ago, having atheistic thoughts and tendencies...quite strong ones at that. And now...what? Well, I can tell you that my views are 180 degrees different now.. and with much more conviction than in my atheist days. I know that I know that I know that Jesus is the One... That he is very much alive, that he involves himself intimately in our lives, and that he is coming very soon to change all things and establish his rule over earth with an iron sceptre. Jesus is alive!!
    I'd like to see you debate yourself from 3 years ago

Son of the Umayyads
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:11 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Semitic-Caucasian
    Ethnicity
    Kavkazian(Paternal) Iraqi Bedouin(maternal)
    Ancestry
    Adyghea, Urals, Yemen, Syrian Desert
    Country
    Adyghea
    Region
    New Jersey
    Y-DNA
    T(Adyghean ancestors)
    mtDNA
    J1b(Arabian Bedouin)
    Taxonomy
    Alpinized-Arabid
    Politics
    Arabian peninsula nationalism. Unity our strength division our weakeness
    Hero
    Omar Al-Mukhtar, King Fisal Al-Saud, Queen Mavia, Queen Sheba, Sultan Bin Saif, Abeer Al-Janbai,
    Religion
    Bedouin Animism
    Relationship Status
    Married
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13,489
    Given: 13,022

0 Not allowed!

What church did you join? Mainstream Protestant? Well continue with your search
    My genetic results
    1 50% Azeri_Dagestan +50% BedouinA @ 2.879975

One nation and one destiny

Novichok
    Last Online
    @
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ethnicity
    Boer
    Ancestry
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region
    Essex
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H1b
    Taxonomy
    Norid
    Politics
    Godly
    Hero
    Jesus, the King of Kings
    Religion
    Christian
    Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StonyArabia View Post
    What church did you join? Mainstream Protestant? Well continue with your search
    I'm not searching anymore. Once you find Jesus, you arrive at your destiny.

I am not a member of any church denomination. I'm a Bible-believing Christian, like the early Christians.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread Information